Search Unity

Question LWRP Shader Graph material specular problems on iOS and Android

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by lostminds, Jun 25, 2019.

1. lostminds

lostminds

I'm using light weight render pipeline and shader graph for a mobile app, and I'm having problems with specular highlights on the device on both iOS and Android. In the editor the materials look fine, but on the device the specular highlights are exaggerated and look like they use low precision calculations.

138189-specular-problems.jpg

This only seems to apply to shader graph materials, as you can see in the example below using a standard LWRP Lit shader doesn't get the same problems. Also, the precision problem seems to be related with camera FOV angle, with the problem getting worse on smaller FOV angles.

138235-specular-problems-comparelw.jpg

I'm now using 2019.2b6, LWRP and Shader graph v 6.7.1, but the problem has been around (and I've been waiting for a fix) at least since 2019.1

Does anyone have any advice as to what might cause this, and how to avoid it?

specular_problems.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Abruzzi likes this.
  2. Abruzzi

Abruzzi

Yeap! I have the same issue! Objects that use Shader Graph material(also Metallic setup) are brighter on iOS and Android than in Editor. Use Unity 2019.3.0a8 and LWRP 6.7.1, but this issue was appear long time ago. with older versions. "I thought that my hands were crooked, and I was doing something wrong! :D"

lostminds likes this.
  3. lostminds

lostminds

In the new Shader Graph 6.9.0 package there is now a precision setting where you can pick half or float. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make any difference as far as I can tell. So either I guess it's not working properly, or the precision problem is somewhere else in the render pipeline.

4. lostminds

lostminds

5. lostminds

lostminds

Just a small update in case anyone is still following this (like I am). It seems like the bug will be fixed in Shader Graph 7.1.1 part of the new Universal Render Pipeline (previously called Lightweight Render Pipeline). I don't know when this will be released, but it looks like it will require Unity 2019.3.

The current beta Unity 2019.3.0b3 has Shader graph 7.0.1, which seems to improve/fix the precision/artifacts but the highlights are still exaggerated when it comes to brightness on mobile in my tests.

Pablomgn and Abruzzi like this.
  6. lostminds

lostminds

Hurray! This now seems to finally be fixed in Shader Graph 7.1.1 available in the the 2019.3.0b4 editor beta!

Pablomgn likes this.
  7. Miltan_

Miltan_

2021.2.11f1 URP lightmap is not properly rendered when material uses shader graph shader and built on Android Quest.
    Tried it even in the clean project just two boxes with baked lighting and one has Shadergraph and one default.
    Build on Android Quest 2, shader graph material is diferent