Search Unity

(LWRP) PostFx not working on Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by YuriyPopov, Sep 3, 2019.

1. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

So building to the Oculus Quest with unity 2019.2.3f1 and the Latest version of LWRP and the Post process stack the post fx simply do not work on the device. They do work in the editor. I tried putting the layer on the central eye anchor and on both left and right but nothing seems to work. How do I get around this ?

2. AaronXRDev

AaronXRDev

Have you tried with the new URP beta in 2019.3? I know the old LWRP didn't work on mobile VR but I'm curious about now.

sisermann likes this.
  3. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

I have not tried that no.

4. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Just tried it in 2019.3 and it does not work. Looks like Unity dont even plan to support Post Process V2 on mobile VR which is absurd to say the least.

5. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Post Process simply doesn't work on mobile VR, and hasn't worked in more than a year.

6. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

How is this not a major issue for Unity ?! Like what are we supposed to do except from writing our own custom post fx ?

7. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Yep.

This is kind of weird and unusual that they do not respond to any request for an ETA or for more information.

I trashed a project because of their inability to support VR on the PP stack. Spending thousands in cash on a graphics programmer during prototyping is not something everyone is willing to do.

8. Shane_Michael

Shane_Michael

Post processing would be nice to have in theory, but in practice you really can't afford it on mobile VR anyway.

Colour grading or tone-mapping is most useful and you can be added to the base shader with a basic understanding of shader syntax. Just make a copy of the "Lit" shader--tedious but straightforward--and then modify the returned value from the base fragment shader in your new fragment shader. You could even add some film grain or a vignette in here, too, as long as you keep it relatively simple. Even without the full-screen texture copy, performance is always a concern.

The Oculus SDK has a colour scaling function (something like SetColorScaleAndOffset) that is useful for doing full-screen tinting or fading, and I think it is essentially free in terms of performance.

Anything fancy that needs multi-sampling (blurring/DoF, bloom, etc.) is going to be too slow to use.

hippocoder likes this.
  9. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

That is not true, everything is a question of balance.

You could use a minimalist, low poly art style and use the extra power to handle bloom and HDR-tonemapping.

Superhot VR certainly looks like it has bloom on the Quest, and that makes it stand out. But not everybody has the 800K copies sold it takes to overcome the challenge of implementing a custom solution.

Hypertectonic likes this.
  10. crogersarvr

crogersarvr

post FX on mobile are really expensive, especially on the 72fps quest. post FX require reading from the screenbuffer.

11. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

That is no excuse for the stack to not work at all. Never did I think I would say or do it but for this project we switched to Unreal. Mobile post fx work there at least.

12. viknesh2020

viknesh2020

https://github.com/demonixis/XRCinematicImageEffects

This one have few effects from Image effects. It has AA, Tonemapping and so on. Also the author claims it works for Single Pass Stereo rendering. Has anyone tried this ? I tried this for quest and I ended up in shader error, which is raised in the same link above. Anyone have any idea on this?

13. KalvinPearceRSG

KalvinPearceRSG

In case someone comes across this looking for a fix:
    Open the package manager and update to 6.9.2 as this has the fix for adding XR android support for PostProcessing V2

By default, Unity's LWRP template (in 2019.2.9f1 at least) seems to have the LWRP v6.9.0

We are still unable to get it working correctly as it doesn't support multiview (only single pass and multi pass which don't seem to work for us)

14. scheichs

scheichs

Hmm... I couldn't get PP to work on 2019.2.11f1 with LWRP v6.9.2 and PP 2.1.7 (or 2.2.1) in the LWRP sample scene. When using Single Pass left eye is rendered correctly. The right one does also apply the PP correctly but it is perspectively distorted as if some matrix is not set up correctly. Can anyone confirm this?
    Target Platform: Oculus Quest

EDIT: Multi View doesnt seem to apply PP but perspective is ok
    Multi Pass renders only left eye but with double wide texture applied. Right eye is black

15. dshimmyo

dshimmyo

I had an identical experience as you except I tested 2019.2.12 and I didn’t make note of the LWRP or PP version numbers. I’m currently back on 2019.1.14 multipass if I want PP and a low framerate or singlepass if I don’t care about PP.