Search Unity

Feedback LWRP on 2019.2 - black screen and crash on Android

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Unity-Rider, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Unity-Rider

Unity-Rider

So I'm building the default scene with all settings untouched from the LWRP package onto an Android device.
    When running the player, the Unity logo comes up, the screen goes black and then the app crashes.

Unity 2019.2.0f1
    LWRP 6.9.1
    OpenGL3
    Min API 4.3
    Target API 9

Mobile device running Android Pie (API 9)

How can I debug what could be causing this ?

EDIT: tried turning off MSAA and HDR on camera. Tried building without the SRP asset, just with standard renderer. Tried turning off post processing effects. Tried working with Gamma color space. None of this worked.
    Can build out and run correctly in Win64 standalone player.

2. iSinner

iSinner

You could use adb or the tool from android studio to see the console output and see why it is crashing.
    Useful link

3. Unity-Rider

Unity-Rider

Thanks, @iSinner ! I was going to go through the logcat this afternoon.

Just wondering if it's an Editor thing, whether anyone else has experienced the same and solved it.

4. Cal_Mac

Cal_Mac

Yes, actually. I experienced this earlier this year - couldn't find a solution. Attempted on three different devices, eventually had to remove the LWRP.

5. bgmulti15a

bgmulti15a

Same exact issue, and it's doesn't work with 2019.1 too.
    I can't believe that a mobile first template doesn't even pass splash screen.

6. aoleynikov678

aoleynikov678

Have the same problem on Asus Max Pro M2. Meanwhile app runs correctly on Huawei P20 Pro.

7. Unity-Rider

Unity-Rider

Thanks for chipping in, guys.

To leave my feedback, I ran the Android Logcat and a whole bunch of warnings spat out.
    In the end I got an error reading:

Code (CSharp):
    1. --------- beginning of crash
    2. Fatal signal 6 (SIGABRT), code -6 (SI_TKILL) in tid 9549 (UnityGfxDeviceW)

UPDATE: So, I managed to get a process running without crashing when building in Gamma colorspace. So it seems the issue lies somehow in OPENGLES3.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  8. Cal_Mac

Cal_Mac

Are you able to submit a bug report to Unity or is this a device issue?

9. Unity-Rider

Unity-Rider

I'm not sure. I mean, I can build and run any other project in linear colorspace for my device but I have never tried building the LWP on a different Unity version or mobile device. Didn't know if it was something I was doing wrong.

However I feel like at least the default template scene should be tested to run on any latest Android OS, if the pipeline is "production" ready.

But I'll try submitting a bug report.

Cal_Mac likes this.