Search Unity

LWRP Normal Maps not showing on Android

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by davidcox70, Jun 17, 2019.

1. davidcox70

davidcox70

Is there a trick to make normal maps appear on Android using the Light Weight Render Pipeline Simple Lit shader? The effect of the normal map shows up in the editor, but not when built on my test device (Samsung Galaxy 8 SM950). I've looked in project settings>graphics, project settings>quality and the render pipeline asset, but there isn't anything obvious to switch on.

** UPDATE **
    It looks like this is a bug / feature related to the scale of an object. When the object is smaller scale, the normal maps work. When the object is scaled up (say x20), the normal map stops working. Anyone seen this / know a fix for it?

**SOLUTION**
    It does appear that on this version (2019.1.7f1 and LWRP 5.16.1) that normal maps fail if the object they are attached to are scaled up by a large factor. In this case, the original mesh was an FBX file, so scaling up the mesh in the import settings, rather than in the editor, provided a workaround.

DC

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. Ragueel

Ragueel

Can confirm. If the scale of an object is too large, on some mobile devices normal maps do not show up.
    Unity version 2019.3.4 URP.
    Solution worked for me thanks!