Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LWRP Boat Racing Demo from GDC

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Rowlan, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cym_hellfire

cym_hellfire

Hi, Andre. Thank you for your great work. But it seems not work properly on my PC. I open this project with Unity 2019.1.1f1 and load the Island scene. The water appearance is quite different from the demo video. Here is a sceenshot:
    upload_2019-5-10_20-2-43.png

More foam is generated in the scene. Any idea about this issue? Thank you.

Edited: The issue is fixed by restart the Editor.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. jgpuech

jgpuech

Hi Andre, thank you for your impressive work. I am amazed by the performance showcased in this demo, reflections even on my low spec laptop is a premiere. Waveracer reminiscences are a sweet bonus too !

I try to play with the WaterCaustics shadergraph to tame or disable the effect. My boat is often covered with caustics even if not submerged.
    WaterLevel and BlendDistance properties looked promising but I don't see any effect nor find the place where these defaults are overwriten...

If someone could help, I promise to improve my frenglish :)
    Thanks you

3. am_salperton

am_salperton

This is beautiful, but I can't get it to work in VR. Anyone knows how to return to simpler times, when VR in Unity was simply two cameras and not this multipass/singlepass mumbo jumbo? Both LWRP and HDRP fail in VR after months of work...

4. oshriez

oshriez

Hi. I've tried building for Quest. managed to get it all except the water .....I dont see the water at all... tried different settings but dont know why... all the rest is running in good speeds ... any pointers? Tnx

ROBYER1 likes this.
  5. oshriez

oshriez

Unity 2019.1.7...

6. naderlabbad309

naderlabbad309

hi i use book of death and i want import only water can help plz

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Andre, thank you for your help with LWRP issues.

I check the way to get depth from camera and seems there is a ray casting involved in shader. Is this the only way to get the depth from 2ond camera, or there is some new way in latest version of LWRP ?

Also if there is no other way, can we use the following code to do the depth texture for an asset store asset (it is under non commercial license, so by default is not permitted)

https://github.com/Verasl/BoatAttac...asl.water-system/Shaders/InfiniteWater.shader

Thank you for any insight on the above

ROBYER1 likes this.
  8. Bartek_Gudowski_Friend_Factory

Bartek_Gudowski_Friend_Factory

Hi!

I am getting the following error while trying to build latest Boat Attack 2019.3 version to iOS (Iphone X).
    I am using Unity 2019.3.0a11 and Universal RP 7.0.0. Any suggestion how to resolve? Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 03.10.47.png

9. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

This demo looks great but it's not optimized at all
    It's runs at like 7-8 FPS without shadow, Bloom and MSAA on Adreno 512 which is not a high end mobile GPU but I was expecting a least 15FPS and the water have some rendering issues with the depth (I think) which make it disappear if you look from some angles but only if you run it with OpenGL, with Vulkan everything look exactly like in the editor
    I did the test with 2019.1 and 2019.2

10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I would also like to see the water system running on the Quest!

11. konsic

konsic

12. creat327

creat327

does it even run on LWRP now? I think it stopped working a while ago.

13. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

it's still run on LWRP/URP

14. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

shaders can not perform any raycasting. what do you mean?

15. lolclol

lolclol

i got the pink shader. i have updated all dependencies via package manager and still no luck. using unity 2019.3.0 f3. What might me the problem? the graphics setting is using lightweight render pipeline.

Attached Files:

16. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

i wonder how the water fared in oculus quest....

17. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

18. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

also it looks to me that planar reflection as well as depth is not supported in quest, because none of this functions i created in shader does not work at all

ROBYER1 likes this.
  19. am_salperton

am_salperton

It doesn't work on regular desktop VR, let alone a Quest. I guess we have to wait.

20. mephistonight

mephistonight

I was curious about this so I've done some digging that you might find helpful. I also have an Adreno 530 in my Pixel 1 and like you, I get between 5 - 12 FPS when building to my phone. However, I don't think you're quite right about the reason. Yes, there are a fair few number of batches but this isn't the cause of the tanked FPS.

When I clone the repo and switch build targets to Android the first thing that stands out is that it's set to prioritise the Vulkan graphics API. The Adreno 530 supports Vulkan but oh boy is it a dogs breakfast of a driver. Like you, if I disable almost everything in the scene, I still only get between 5-10 fps.

If I remove Vulkan and set it to only use OpenGLES3, I get between 45 to 55 FPS in an untouched repo of the Boat Attack demo. That's with everything in the scene. However, unfortunately, this totally breaks the water, which is a huge shame because for me the two things I wanted to look at in this demo were the water shaders and the jobs-based buoyancy physics.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the low level stuff going on in the difference between Vulkan, OpenGLES3 and the Adreno 530 implementation of both to understand why this breaks the water shader so badly but I guess to summarize... this demo CAN run well on mobile out of the box but it won't run well on every device.

Maybe @Andre_Mcgrail could point in the right direction? What is it about the shader that's breaking on OpenGLES3 do you think?

I've looked at various bug reports to Unity on the Adreno 530 Vulkan performance and they've all said 'Won't Fix' because it's a GC driver issue and not something Unity can do anything about. It would be really nice to be able to run these water shaders using OpenGLES3. It's actually the first time I've ever seen a major difference between versions in Unity shaders like this.

21. Tomza

Tomza

How to make the water working in VR (Oculus Go)?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  22. Image3d

Image3d

Where can I download the complete boat attack water shader ?

23. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Doesn't work at all in 2020.2 FYI. Feel free to prove me wrong.

24. mangax

mangax

thanks for the interesting insight.. Clearly this demo main attraction is the water shader it self as you know.. and it is what impact performance the most.
    i guess our intention is to test the demo with intended settings provided by unity.. if the shader is broken on gles3 then it doesn't work or not intended for gles3.. hence why you're getting high FPS..

it could be vulkan implementation isn't perfect, but enabling vulkan in settings works fine on any unity project or regular shaders.. so i can still argue that there is something wrong with the water shader it self not vulkan directly..

whatever the underlaying issues.. unity decided to showcase a demo that doesn't meet their claim on android at that time (it could be on apple devices).. adreno 530 is among most used gpu on mobiles market at that time.. it's not something to be overlooked in tests..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  25. ekakiya

ekakiya

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  26. creat327

creat327

Just tested again the project, using Unity 2021.1 and my android phone. Well, things didn't improve much:
    1. Performance is horrible. This is a mid range device, similar to what would be an iphone 7 and the fps is about 10 fps.
    2. The water turns white and back to regular water, all the time.

Basically, this demo continues to break with every Unity update and if it's to prove how fast it can run, well... it ran faster and with good quality on Unity 2018 and Iphone 6 than in Unity 2021 and iphone 8. So, go figure.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  27. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

I believe an iphone 7 will perform much better than your android phone

28. creat327

creat327

Actually, since I was curious I went ahead and tested it on my old iphone 7. My android is from this year and higher specs than iphone 7, so it should be similar... I found that the iphone 7 runs it slow too. I remember it was way faster on Unity 2018 or so, when the demo was first published. Something is messed up on the project or on the render pipeline updates.

29. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Stay away from this if you want to avoid headaches.
    Unity has proven that when making demos and tools that they have 0 sense of making it future proof and will take shortcuts using strange custom solutions to get it working which just doesn't make sense.

Boat attack is an example - something that should be so simple it's just a water shader....
    The first problem is it uses Burst - this is a 1.5GB install just for a water asset that apparently was made in shader graph but nope it needs burst for some reason. The second problem is it performs bad and as users above have said URP is all about good performance.

Third problem is it doesn't work with the recommended Visual Studio 2019 because it uses keywords like or instead of ||
    and even if you fix that you will get errors that freeze the game saying that the water has been destroyed because it was saved in a prefab that is not monobehaviour etc.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Boat Attack's water is used In Gigaya and Gigaya is used for a few purposes, one of them improving performance. Unity is actually on the case here.

I do agree that Boat Attack is not a good learning project. It was never designed or pushed as one though.

For a good alternative try Crest on asset store, or similar options (there are quite a few, I just picked one at random that I know has similar features).

If people DO want a learning project and want Boat Attack Water™ then people need to wait for the Gigaya resources which are coming. These are in fact designed to be more modular and usable, especially for people to learn from.

TerraUnity and Rowlan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.