Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

LWRP Boat Racing Demo from GDC

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Rowlan, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    AntonioModer and ROBYER1 like this.
  2. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

I need this too, only for the water, for many years the default water tools in Unity has been very "basic", i hope that the new SRP Unity system and new shaders change this.

3. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

http://www.andremcgrail.com/

Here's the person that created the demo, I've heard that the demo is going to be released in the future but if you need it right now you should contact him.

Rowlan likes this.
  4. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

I'm glad you liked the demo, looking to make the Git repo public asap but the crunch of 2018.1 release has kept me very busy so my ability to work on cleaning this up has come to a standstill right now. Hopefully won't be long off, maybe next month but don't quote me on that :)

ROBYER1, vakabaka, Honorsoft and 9 others like this.
  5. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I'm quoting you, but I'm not holding you to it. :)

We're also really interested, because we're pushing our rendering budget with the old pipeline right now, and since we use water in our projects, it would be interesting to see how this performs in VR if we dump our 4 million polygon boat in it.

6. Halley_xu

Halley_xu

i want this demo too....it's very important for us to understand new LWRP

Gametyme likes this.
  7. lavi_mahal

lavi_mahal

Really looking to get my hands on this demo, its almost a month lol ;);):)

Jamessamson, Gametyme and Shizola like this.
  8. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Haha, So I'm am busily working on it right now, we are going to be demoing it at Unite Berlin and @phil_lira and I will be giving a talk about getting started with LWRP.

The aim is then to clean the project up for a first release alongside 2018.2.

And trust me the wait is worth it, it's already much better than a month ago, running faster and the code is getting much cleaner(which will make it more valuable to learn from/dig around in)

9. theHost

theHost

Looking forward to this as well. Love the water.

10. Liviuss

Liviuss

Any news on this?

11. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

12. neokudev

neokudev

Unity 2018.2 is out, now is this example project available?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. GaussJordan

GaussJordan

I'm also wondering when it will be available. The presentation at Unite was great, only wish I took better notes. But that won't matter once the demo is out :)

14. lavi_mahal

lavi_mahal

its almost a month now, 2018.2 was released on 2 july :(.
    Please publish the project.​

15. elbows

elbows

I dont mind delays at all, thats development life, but I do consider it somewhat poor form to just go quiet rather than provide an update about what is happening with this.

16. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Sorry for not responding about this and missing the date I first suggested.

A little insight to this since I think a lot of people are missing what this project actually is. This demo is created entirely by myself, this wasn't part of my day job here at unity, I'm not on any of the demo/content teams we have so a lot of this was/is done in my spare time.
    With LWRP being in the state it is and our major push now to stabilise it, this is now taking up all of my time as I am busy making sure we have proper coverage of everything and that we start to actually have documentation on it as releasing a demo is useful to learn how to do some specific stuff but without any documentation making sense of anything in that demo, it will probably be just as hard as diving into the code without a demo.

In saying this, I'm at a point where I just need to make the git public, I'm planning on merging in a submodule to make life easier for people grabbing it(no need to clone if you just want to grab the zip) and also making it work with the packages available rather than cloned git repos. One huge issue I am facing with it right now is the delayed 18.3 Beta which is frustrating as I converted some of the water rendering over to the much better custom pass rendering system that we have recently added into LWRP, this package now is only available in 18.3 so this leaves me in a tricky situation.

So I can make it public right now and everyone will have access to it, will it work, I'm not sure, I don't have time to test it in 2018.2 right now(the preview nature of LWRP means we move on pretty fast internally), but in theory it would work, again this is not an official Unity demo project thus support for it will be limited, and at the end of the day it's a test project to help me verify certain parts of LWRP are working correctly.

Again sorry for not responding here earlier, life has just been a little hectic here lately :)

Cheers,
    Andre

P.S. I'll distract you with this if you didn't see it at Unite, because you know, chairs and all....

17. elbows

elbows

Thanks so much for the update, and I would like to apologise for moaning, I must have been feeling grumpy that day!

Anyway clearly the 18.3 beta delay isnt your fault, and personally I would rather you waited and released it whenever that beta lands. I hope it hasnt been delayed for too much longer, but either way I'm sure time will fly by.

Cheers

18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

2018.3 betas have been delayed? Is there new estimate when they are targeted to get out? Like is it still happening this month?

19. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

It is still planned to come out this month, but I do feel like this has been the most delayed Beta we have had in a while normally we are pretty good at getting it out the door as we release the previous version, this time it wasn't the case.

Rowlan, JakubSmaga and rz_0lento like this.
  20. elbows

elbows

It may be nothing to do with the cause of delay (I have no way of knowing) but 2018.3 does sound like it will have rather a lot of new stuff in it so I'm not that shocked that its been subject to delay.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

As you have clarified it's a personal project you are in no way obliged to provide any of that code, and people know that. It's a personal project done outside of Unity, so feel free to release a smaller cut down thing that does not contain all the assets or things you might want to keep in case you would like to do a side game for sale - we as devs know that is your right and support it.

If you're still releasing then given the nature of people asking for it were using unstable 2018.2 betas, I am sure they can handle a 2018.3 beta. That is logical.

Heck, even SRP is still beta. So go at your own pace.

:)

ha_fizh likes this.
  22. elbows

elbows

Yeah it was news to me that it was a personal project done outside of normal job, I wouldnt have moaned about not being kept informed if I had known that, I feel kinda bad now, thanks for being a good sport about it.

23. MammaMu

MammaMu

Hi Andre!

Would it just be possible for you to post the water shader from your project? We are struggling of getting anything near your stunning water with LWRP and would be very thankful to get inspiration from how you created it? Many thanks!

24. Gametyme

Gametyme

I would love to get my hands on that to study it!

25. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Unite Berlin Talk showing the Boat Demo as well as how some things were set up like the water.

Rowlan likes this.
  26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Re: water

@Andy-Touch (@andytouch on twitter) knows all about water stuff! Guy has magic fingers and knows just how to tickle yer nodes.

He loves being shouted at and hugged by random strangers, so if you ever see him - run directly toward him, shouting and grab him. Trust me, it's fine.

Or just ask him about shader graph water.

JGannonH5G likes this.
  27. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Hi All,

Just a brief update, I have managed to get some time on this, it's now fairly clean and also contains no submodules so it will be much easier to grab/update etc. One issue though is it currently only works in 2018.3, which as many of you probably know has been delayed, unfortunately I heard it has been delayed again so right now releasing this would be pointless as it would have compile errors and not work, these are due to Area Light and the NavMeshComponents having an API breaking change between 2018.2 and 2018.3, since this project is mainly used as a testing/inhouse project for use with the latest master branch of SRP and 2018.3 I'm not going to make an 18.2 version.

But it is close :)

Gametyme, Shizola, hippocoder and 2 others like this.
  28. MostHated

MostHated

@Andre_Mcgrail

Where have you heard about the delays? Obviously, it is delayed, since it is not out yet, but I had yet to see anything official about the first delay (until I read this), let alone a second. Where can I find more info on that?

29. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

There is no official word on it, nor do I believe there is an official date or anything. I'm just letting you know here, probably not allowed to, but I think people know it's been delayed as normally we ship a beta a week after a release.

I won't go into details as to why, but it makes sense, and trust me in the end it will be worth it.

Rowlan and pixelsteam like this.
  30. MostHated

MostHated

Yeah, I would rather it take a little longer and work than just being released because people are bitching, then not work so they start bitching even more, taking away focus from getting the beta ready and working, lol.

antoripa and Rowlan like this.
  31. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Andre_Mcgrail Just wondering, how about releasing an executable build of that demo? that might pipe down the Mob :D

32. HanzaRu

HanzaRu

Any news about turn this demo public? Cheers

33. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

34. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Hey all,

I've made the Github repo public now, the default branch atm is Packages/3.3.0 as we have yet to release a newer package of LWRP, the Master branch should always work with master of SRP repo if you want to stay on the latest.

The main scene is the Island, in here you can play and the boats will automatically try race around, if you hit 'H' it brings up the camera controls and some performance stats.

https://github.com/Verasl/BoatAttack

Hope you guys find something useful in there, especially look at the PlanarReflections.cs and the WaterFX.cs for usages of the new render pass system in LWRP, I'll be adding another one to render a mini map of the race track as I believe that is another good use case where people tend to use a second camera which is not needed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  35. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Andre_Mcgrail I'm getting lot of error on the project, do i need to import external files?
    Oh wait, i think i know what is the problem

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  36. JohnSmith1915

JohnSmith1915

I too have many errors (I clone the complete repo), is break in Unity 2018.3b but thanks, I hope that soon be stable.

37. Gametyme

Gametyme

Its probably the beta that's broken it.

38. r618

r618

if you're getting errors opening it in 2018.3.0b1:
    - clone the repo (don't download archive) as stated in the README.md
    - switch to 'Packages/3.3.0' branch *BEFORE* opening the project for the first time (if you open from master first and then switch, the project won't get properly refreshed (this is probably beta issue))

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    hadynlander likes this.
  39. Gametyme

Gametyme

@Andre_Mcgrail thankyou so much for sharing this with us! I really appreciate it!

40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Andre_Mcgrail The WaterFX pass are interesting, is this technique possible to do in HDRP? just wondering. also in the testing scene all water object component are broken. and Water.cs keep throwing error cannot find WaterResources

41. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Worth noting that the repo defaults to Packages/3.3.0 branch when you clone it, the main demo runs out of the box while using this branch.

edit-> like mentioned before, master doesn't work with 3.3.0 so that will break if you try it without SRP master.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  42. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Would love to see those errors as it should work with latest beta.

Unfortunately the WaterFX pass is using the scriptable pass system, which currently only supported in LWRP, I'm not sure what HDRPs plan is for pipeline customisation is at this point but can ask. As for the water resources missing, I have run into this before and it is due to the WaterSystem being a local package, you can manually assign it back to the water script if you want to get it working, but I do need to look into this, unfortunately this might be out of my hands for now and may require updates to the package system.

43. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hmm too bad, yeah HDRP seems too complex to mod atm, especially since it is keep changing
    Oh don't worry, i got it fixed by assigned it manually.

44. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Yes it is much more complex than LWRP, that's why I like LWRP more for having a play with rendering and SRP. You don't have to be an insanely awesome graphics programmer to understand it.

I've pushed an update to the repo which now has the Scriptable Objects assigned as defaults to the Water.cs, not sure if this will help or not.

45. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

True, oh btw is LWRP are planned to be a forward renderer only? sorry if this is it out of topic.

Oh thanks, i'll pull the changes

46. angelekas80

angelekas80

Erreur de shader dans 'PackedPBR': nombre d'arguments incorrect pour le constructeur de type numérique à la ligne 153 (sur d3d11)

Compilation du programme Vertex
    Platform définit: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP
    I clone the project as indicated in the doc there is more rock problem this error I am on the 2018.3

Attached Files:

47. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Next year we plan to start work on a Deferred path for LWRP, we are currently in the conceptual phase and have a very very barebones version running, but we are looking into doing some really cools stuff there, you should start seeing stuff in the first half of next year.

I'm not very good at French :D but the PackedPBR is a Shadergraph shader, so I would try reimport the shader and see if that helps.

Reanimate_L likes this.
  48. o1o101

o1o101

@Andre_Mcgrail

Really cool stuff, does this really run at 30+ FPS on an iPhone 6 with image effects? I noticed it hits over 1m tris at some points? Is this not a bottle neck? My application on Unity 2017, is at around 150 draw calls, 150k tris, same image effects as what you used, struggling to have any decent frame rate on IOS.

49. o1o101

o1o101

@Andre_Mcgrail Also I noticed you used LDR on the post processing, why did you not go with an HDR set up with tonemapping?

50. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

It almost did back at Unite Berlin this year, and easily did on an iPhone 6s, I've yet added some stuff, also the pipeline has gone through a ton of changes, so this may push it either way.
    I haven't don't much profiling on it lately but I believe it's gone down a bit as I've added more stuff to it but I'm constantly seeing whats slowing it down and tweaking things, either on my side or letting the devs know something LWRP side is slower.

The whole thing isn't HDR, the camera is not rendering to an HDR buffer so doing HDR colour correction would be overkill. I went with this option to save on bandwidth and less complex calculations in post, this does mean I loose a bit of visual quality, there are some points in the demo that get blown out too much due to me trying to achieve a 'HDR' look with the lighting.
    I do want to create a branch at some point where it is setup as HDR to see what the performance differences are, but there is still a lot left to clean up so will wait for it to be in a nicer state before branching it again.

Gametyme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.