Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback [lwrp] baking lighting weakens normal maps.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by legoblaster1234, May 21, 2019.

1. legoblaster1234

legoblaster1234

When I bake the lighting in my scene my normal maps lose a lot of strength to the point of being hard to tell if they're even doing anything any more.
    (both are the same material, the left is set to static and so has its lighting baked and the right is lit in real-time)
    upload_2019-5-20_23-4-2.png
    I've done everything I can think of to try and fix it with no luck. Any idea why my normal maps look so garbage after I bake the scene's lighting? Thanks in advance.

2. EliasCyborn

EliasCyborn

found any solution?

3. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Standard lightmap has no information about light distribution around surface hemisphere, just one averaged value. So to deal with it there is several solutions. Unity use simplest solution - domine light direction. It's has low memory budget, but lack of normalmap detail. For better result you need to use more advanced methods, like RNM or spherical harmonics. Unity lightmapper doesn't support this, fortunately there is alternative lightmapper that support it:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-55-released.536008/

4. EliasCyborn

EliasCyborn

Thanks! Very technical explenation, had to do read it a few times to wrap my head arround it ^^
    I'll check if i can use this alternative lightmapper since changing engine templates/adding plugins/... might be an issue when working together with a third party. So I'll still have to look for a solution without adding too much stuff.
    Would be nice if i can get the depth/detail with the tools that are already present, but I'll definitely check it out!

Last edited: May 24, 2019