Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LWF - an open-source tool for bringing Flash animation to Unity and HTML5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kazuki_Sakamoto, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

AtticusMarkane likes this.
  2. blastone

blastone

Hi Kazuki,
    I updated to the latest Unity package, but I get errors when I use this with the 64 bit IL2CPP compilation options
    I get
    NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.

at LWF.Data.ReplaceTextureFragment (Int32 index, LWF.Format.TextureFragmentReplacement textureFragmentReplacement) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

What can I do to get this working on 64 bit iOS?

3. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

I haven't tested IL2CPP yet. IL2CPP 32bit iOS build is ok?

4. blastone

blastone

Hi Kazuki, I didnt test the 32bit IL2CPP build, I have only tested with Unity 4.6.3 IL2CPP and then doing a universal build to an iphone 6, and I get that error.

Since all apps must be submitted now with 64 bit, I hope you can get some time to look at it. I really like LWF :D
    Do you have any ideas as to how long this might take you? I have had to put my project on hold until I know that LWF will work for it. Help!

Thanks for your reply.

5. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Could you try 4.6.3p1? LWF uses ReadInt32 heavily and the exception seems related to the issue.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4-6-ios-64-bit-beta.290551/page-17#post-1979206

6. blastone

blastone

Yep, the patch release fixed it.
    Thanks!

7. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Good to hear that!

8. blastone

blastone

Question, I was able to get the ugui implementation working, great news. Has the z sorting of layers changed in any ways as a a result?

9. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

IIRC sortingLayer, layer and z order doesn't affect the uGUI rendering order. I think you need to change the object hierarchy.

10. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Kazuki

the guy I'm working for seems to be a huge fan of yours as he has nothing but good things to say about you :D I am here to test if your skills match your reputation :D

If you look at the included screenshot you will see the problem I am facing. Notice that all the flash stuff is in the TopSection and way at the start of the hierarchy. In contrast, the Goal object is way down below and yet the Enemy is drawn on top of the goal. Any idea why this happens?

I noticed that the flash stuff has Transforms while all the other UGUI stuff has RectTransforms. Does this in any way affect matters?

I tried replacing the Transform with a RectTransform and that made no difference.
    I tried adjusting the z value of the goal but that also made no difference.

One thing to mention though is that the background in the TopSection is drawn behind the Goal but the Enemies are drawn in front of it. The Hero is drawn in front of the goal and stuff spawned below it also... So this says to me that the flash stuff does not honour ugui's hierarchy based rendering order. The background flash object has "Order in Layer" set to 0 while the characters each have a value of 10. This suggests to me that in order for me to draw stuff on top of them I will need to change their rendering order manually also, is that correct or are you trying to honour the ugui rendering system or what?

I am truly at a loss here so any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Kazuki.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  11. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

I can't reproduce the issue, so actually I have no idea. Have you tried to modify LWF.shader? LWF.shader doesn't specify ZTest. Could you try to add the line to SubShader section?

Code (CSharp):
    1. ZTest [unity_GUIZTestMode]

12. MrDude

MrDude

I found the problem.

Sorry, man, the fault was entirely mine! I added the UseUIVertexRenderer(); to the script that loaded the background but not to the others... Facepalm...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  13. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

No problem. Good to hear that!

14. janimator

janimator

Hi Kazuki,
    I'm looking into optimizing my LWF wrapper to control my sprites animations, and wanted to see what you would suggest to be the best method to control the lwf update. Here is a description of what I'm working with, please feel free to make comments on any aspect of this process.

Currently in my wrapper I am playing animation in specific frames inside of the rootmovie. So if the rootmovie is 100 frames long, I will play animations from frame 12 to 22, and loop back to 12 once frame 22 has completed. I may then switch the loop to a different group of frames or play the animation differently as I see fit(example play looped backwards). I call setLoader() and lwf.rootMovie.Stop() in the initialization of every lwf. I call lwf.rootMovie.Stop() so that I can manually switch frames as desired in the update method using lwf.rootMovie.GotoFrame() which is the followed by UpdateLWFFrame() followed by base.Update().

What im hoping to achieve is a way to control the frames using rootmovie in a way that resembles using sprites while still using lwf as optimaly as possible. I'm sure there are a lot of issues with this method, just wanted to see if you have any suggested techniques or suggestions in general before I dive deep into lwf..

15. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

You mean you want to play animation like

12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 13 14 15 16 ...

right? Why don't you create fla file as it?

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 9.57.02 AM.png

16. janimator

janimator

Yes I have done that. I guess what my question is. Is it inefficient to call the lwf.rootMovie.Stop(), and control the frames manually using lwf.rootMovie.GotoFrame(). Since lwf is being used extensively I want to make sure that it's running efficiently.

17. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

No, using Stop() and GotoFrame() is totally ok.

18. janimator

janimator

Are multiple sheet images available for use with a single bytes files, in the case that there are too many images for a single sheet? I attempted this and was unsuccessful. Just wanted to know if it was unsupported or if I'm just doing something wrong?

19. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

You mean can you use multiple texture sheets for just one LWF data? The answer is yes. The size of texture sheet is restricted by GPU. Recent devices can use up to 4096x4096, older devices can use up to 2048x2048. LWFS automatically converts LWF data with multiple TexturePacker JSON files.

The downside is that you might have a lot of draw-calls. It depends on the rendering order with multiple textures.

20. GH-Spencer

GH-Spencer

I've been looking into using LWF with a custom shader. I've been able to get the shader applied to the material when using the Load method in LWF by passing in the shaderName property. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to access the material on a CombinedMeshComponent. I would like to be able to change textures and shader values at runtime. I've written some code to apply properties to a material when rendering the LWF, but this modifies the shared material and not the material for the specific LWF object in the scene. I would like to be able to have instances of materials attached to the LWF instead of a shared instance between all LWFs. Is there a simple way to achieve this?

21. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

LWF doesn't have the feature, but you can change the source code. All material instance were created in lwf_unity_resourcecache.cs. You can add some function call to get the material instance for changing textures and shader values.

22. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

Hi,

i was looking for an alternative to uniSWF today and stumbled upon your project. From what it promises it looks very cool. I've done the basic setup with the latest lwf.unitypackage and added the example script to one of my test swf + the basic house swf which i took from your examples and used LWFS to export. I'm using the latest Unity 5.0.2p4 with il2cpp. This is what i get:

If i'm using one of the simple demo projects i can see everything fine, but the same swf exported does not get displayed:

23. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Have you tried https://github.com/splhack/Hello-LWF-Unity ?

24. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

Hey,

ok i got my test file to work with the hello-lwf-unity example but it seems that the shader or something is not working.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1291801/shader2.png

I do have another question. I was trying to create a texture atlas with Texturepacker and like described created the .png & .json file, threw it into the LWFS_work folder and exported it. But it seems it still creates the .lwf which is bound to the single images. Is this how you create a .lwf that uses a texture packer png? I could not find any Tutorials on this part.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1291801/lwfs.png

*** EDIT

Ok i fixed my problems. To use the TexturePacker files you have to create a folder inside the LWFS_work first and then put your files there (bla.swf, bla.png, bla.json). This needs to be explained somewhere in bold, i only figured it out by accidentally reading the yellow marked text in the OpenGL preview.

But now there is another weird problem. The graphics are displayed super smudgy. Especially the tooth graphic in my case. What is happening here? The pngs i exported are fine.

See here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1291801/smudge.png

Also i'm not sure if i do it correctly when using SearchMovieInstance. When i try to accsess clip_B after moving on the root timelime to another frame label SearchMovieInstance returns null. The clip_B is there just like clip_A before. Is there some kind of delay where i have to wait for SearchMovieInstance to acutally find the clip?

Code (csharp):
    2. var root = lwf.rootMovie;
    3. root.SearchMovieInstance("clip_A").Stop();
    4. root.GotoLabel("b");
    5. var clipB = root.SearchMovieInstance("clip_B");
    6. print (clipB.name);

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  25. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

> The graphics are displayed super smudgy. Especially the tooth graphic in my case.

It depends on Max Size and Format settings in Texture property. Usually "compressed" format makes pixel blurred.

> Is there some kind of delay

Yes. GotoLabel doesn't change the frame immediately. Wait until SearchMovieInstance returns non-null, or use event (LWF.Movie.AddEventHandler, LWF.AddMovieEventHandler, or so on), or use LWFObject methods.

26. angelonit

angelonit

Hi, first of all I want to thank you for the amazing work and support you are giving, it's very impressive that you take the time to help us so much.

Now to the issue at hand: I am trying to make unity objects move instead of creating meshes that move themselves (while their object is not moving) so I can put other objects as children of the animated parts. The problem is that I don't know where to access the values for scale, rotation and position needed to do so from a c# script on runtime (I see the inspector has the values but I'm not sure of what to do with them).

Any suggestion or help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

27. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Happy to hear that!

Please take a look at https://github.com/splhack/Hello-LWF-Unity . You can see the white(red) rectangle in the scene. That is a Unity gameObject and it was controlled by Flash animation via LWF.

It is ProgramObject feature of LWF.

Create _PROG_name Button symbol in Library and use it as this fla file.

https://github.com/splhack/Hello-LW...s/ProgramObjectTest/fla/ProgramObjectTest.fla

Set callback using LWFObject.SetProgramObjectConstructor method and update the transform as the following.

https://github.com/splhack/Hello-LWF-Unity/blob/master/Assets/Scripts/ProgramObjectTest.cs

28. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

Cool, yes so the problem was indeed that the imported png was on some weird format in Unity. When switching to Texture Type Advanced / RGBA 16 Bit the issues was gone.

The other problem was also fixed by waiting for SearchMovieInstance not to return null.

Thanks so far. I'm definitely going to make a short tutorial Video how to set up all this stuff. Even though i appreciate that you have created a great tool and everything for free, the on boarding for noobs like me is very bad. I'm not a Programmer and all this stuff is super confusing at first. So i hope i can help other people this way. Keep up the good work!

29. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

Hey,

i actually have another question. I was able to integrated everything so far and it runs smooth, but i have some flickering issues. It seems that when i switch my main animation (char) and update the sub animation (card stack) with stack.GotoAndStop(x), the stack always shows the first frame for a brief moment. This frame is empty due to the setup of the clip. Is this a general problem or is there a way to force the stack clip to jump to frame x without showing frame 1 ?

Code (csharp):
    3. IEnumeratorCoUpdateCardStack()
    4. {
    6. // set card stack
    8. cardStack = null;
    10. while(cardStack == null)
    11. {
    12.     cardStack = currentMovieClip.SearchMovieInstance("KEEPER_DECK");
    13.     yield return null;
    14. }
    16. cardStack.GotoAndStop(GC.deck.Count.ToString());
    18. print("Update Deck: "+cardStack.GetCurrentLabel());
    20. }

30. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Use LWFObject GotoAndStopMovie method as this.

Code (CSharp):
    1. lwfObject.GotoAndStopMovie("KEEPER_DECK", GC.deck.Count.ToString());
    First, this method searches the instance. it calls gotoAndStop if the instance exists. If not, Add an 'load' event handler for the instance. It will call gotoAndStop immediately when the instance is loaded on the scene.

31. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

Hey,

i'm not sure if that is correct, but in my case i can only use

Code (csharp):
    2.        cardStack.lwf.GotoAndStopMovie("KEEPER_DECK",GC.deck.Count.ToString());
    Then it looks like this:

32. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

When and how do you call it?

33. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

34. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Thank you for the project. You can use LWFObject.GotoAndStopMovie as the following in this case.

Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerator CoAnim()
    2. {
    3.     var lwfObject = this.gameObject.GetComponent<SimpleLWF>();
    5.     while(true)
    6.     {
    7.         print ( "switch sublcip of clip 1");
    9.         lwfObject.GotoAndStopMovie("_root.clip1.subclip", 10);
    11.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(1f);
    13.         print ( "switch sublcip of clip 2");
    15.         lwfObject.GotoAndStopMovie("_root", "anim2");
    16.         lwfObject.GotoAndStopMovie("_root.clip2.subclip", 10);
    18.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(1f);
    20.         lwfObject.GotoAndStopMovie("_root", "anim1");
    21.     }
    22. }

35. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales

Ahh ok, now i understand!

Thanks again!

36. ShawnL

ShawnL

Hello,
    i downloaded the latest LWF and follow the tutorial for converting swf to unity ( .bytes) file but failed
    i tried to use the demo "gree_logo.swf" using latest Mac version version: 20150716-1509
    but the output cannot be show in unity

the attached are the 2 .bytes files ( the one named with "generated" is the one i build out while the "demo" is the exact file from the demo downloaded ) the demo one is working but the generated one is not

in the unity file i tried changing the path for the generated .bytes set or direct overwrite the old one to new one, but both are failed

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  37. Kazuki_Sakamoto

Kazuki_Sakamoto

Both data seem ok. Have you tried https://github.com/splhack/Hello-LWF-Unity ?

38. ShawnL

ShawnL

thanks , i tried the Hello-LWF-Unity and it working
    but still there is another strange issue

the flash output is not clean with the alpha channel
    the left one is the swf converted while the other hearts are use the same sprite
    is that sth i messed in the swf ? as i use the animation_building.fla to export, same issue happens

thanks

Attached Files:

39. ShawnL

ShawnL

Hello,
    for further information, the attached is my unity file for your reference
    thanks

Attached Files:

40. ShawnL

ShawnL

Hi,
    anyone face the same issue as i mentioned above?
    i tried with other fla file, i have only 1 success , but after i removed some image ( the background) then it fail again
    can anyone help me ?

thanks

41. Pratap-Dafedar

Pratap-Dafedar

Hi there,
    I am a newbie to this plugin. So, I just want to clarify the limitations of this plugin.
    1. I have one complete small flash game, which is in swf format. Is it possible to convert whole game from swf to unity resource.
    2. If yes, then what and all platforms, I can export this with that.
    3. and what are the limitations.
    4. If No, what will be the alternative.

Waiting for the replay from community.

Thanks.

42. ShawnL

ShawnL

Hello,
    i fix the image issue, ALL the images for the LWF have to be set to "texture" ( my unity is set by default to sprite )

but i come over another problem, i would like to use fscommand to pass the event to unity for sound effects in unity
    it comes out that all the script i add in flash is not working ( i added fscommand and stop() )

i used "publish to LWF" and also using the Hello-LWF-Unity
    do anyone have any idea? ( i am using flash CC 2015 ) will that be an issue ?

thanks

43. victor hung

victor hung

Hi Kazuki,

Firstly, this is such a great tool which i am looking for. We really appreciate about it. We love Flash animation and want to keep using it even writing a game in Unity.

I have worked well with this tool. It is okay to convert the Flash animations into Unity with multiple bitmaps.

Now I want to optimize the performance in Unity. So I was trying to use the texture atlas with TexturePacker. I got the idea from Tinytouchtales. I finally got the bytes and the texture atlas. However, it just cannot be loaded in Unity. I had tried to use lwfs window application and use the terminal to run ruby directly but all failed.

Please give me any guide to work with the texture atlas. Thanks.

44. victor hung

victor hung

Hello all,
    I just fixed my issue but i don't know why actually...
    I have to use the LWFS in 20150115-1030 version to convert a swf with a json file to a bytes file with a texture altas and it is able to be load in Unity. I tried to use the older one or the latest one but both are not working just the one in that version.

45. System32

System32

I found LWF two days ago and were very impressed with it - such a powerful tool available for free! However I wasn't too happy with the workflow and the lacking documentation made it hard to get started. So I made a program in Java that will do all the hard work for you.

All you need to do is press CTRL+Enter in Flash and it will appear in Unity automatically!

Here's a demonstration:

http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen01-png.155005/
    - I create a new Unity project.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen02-png.155006/
    - Here's how the brand new project looks. I don't touch a thing.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen03-png.155007/
    - In the project folder I make a "Flash" subfolder. In this folder I place "LWFmagic.jar" (my program), "gree-lwf-1.0.6-169-g78393d0" (LWF distribution) and "LWFS-win-20150716-1509" (LWFS distribution).
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen04-png.155008/
    - I double-click LWFmagic.jar and press Open Installer. Since the current working directory ("Flash") is on the same hierarchy as the Unity project's main folders the path to Assets is set to "..\Assets".
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen05-png.155009/
    - After installing I tab back into Unity, which is now ready for LWF. I still don't touch a thing in here.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen06-png.155010/
    - Back in LWFmagic I close the installer and fill in two text fields. The rest are left as the default values. I press the run button.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen07-png.155011/
    - An icon appears in the bottom right corner of my screen. LWFmagic is ready to work its magic.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen08-png.155012/
    - I load up Adobe Flash Professional CS6 and draw three frames of a stick figure. I convert each frame to a Movie Clip and each Movie Clip I set to "Export as Bitmap" (click the MC>properties>display>render). The document publish settings target Flash Player 8 with ActionScript 1.0.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen09-png.155013/
    - CTRL+ENTER! The flash appears and after a few seconds LWFmagic tells me that it has finished processing it.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen10-png.155014/
    - After tabbing back to Unity new files have appeared. The SWF file has been converted into LWF and is ready to be used!
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen11-png.155015/
    - I make an empty GameObject and drag the automatically created DragonManSwf.cs script onto it. The stick figure appears! It has been scaled so that 128 px in flash equals 1 unit in Unity. Note: Avoid editing that auto-generated script directly since it will be overwritten if the SWF is ever converted again.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen12-png.155016/
    - Here is how the Flash subfolder looks. I can keep all my FLA project files in there. Note: I recommend that you tick the checkbox during setup to delete the SWF files once they are converted into LWF, otherwise LWFmagic will re-convert them the next time it is started.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen13-png.155017/
    - The stick figure didn't look cool enough. I tabbed back into Flash, drew some wings, hit CTRL+ENTER, waited until LWFmagic said that it was "done" and tabbed back into Unity. Sure enough the LWF had been automatically updated to the new appearance that I drew a few seconds ago.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen14-png.155018/
    - By clicking the icon in the system tray a window will open up containing time stamps. See how the first conversion takes a little longer than the other ones?
    http://forum.unity3d.com/attachments/screen15-png.155019/
    - Until next time! Since the settings are stored in an ini file all we need to do from now on is double-click LWFmagic.jar and we'll be ready to convert flashes into Unity again in no time.

There you have it folks. After installing you can delete the "gree-lwf-1.0.6-169-g78393d0" folder since it won't be used anymore. Note: If you use "lwf.unitypackage" you can skip using my installer completely.

The JAR program needs at least Java 1.7 and LWFmagic is intended for use on Windows. I've only tried it on Win7 but it probably works fine on a newer OS too. Note: You can only use English alphabet characters in the names of your SWF files (and they can't start with a number). UseCamelCase.

LWFS is kept entirely in the background when you run LWFmagic, it won't create any folders on your desktop or open your web browser like it usually does. When you exit LWFmagic it will terminate the LWFS daemon as well. The only time you will ever notice that it is there is if your firewall tells you that ruby_LWFmagic.exe has opened a port.

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION:
    http://www.flash-in-unity.net/

Note: The new version has some changes compared to what's described in this post. For example 128px no longer equals 1px in Unity, instead you're supposed to use a FlashCanvas to display the flash properly.

The newest version supports audio in your flash!

Enjoy LWFmagic, it makes things a lot less tedious. If LWF or LWFS doesn't change too much you should be able to upgrade to the latest release just by swapping the distribute folders with a new version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  46. System32

System32

Uploading more screenshots meant for the post above...

screen05.png screen06.png screen07.png screen08.png screen09.png

47. System32

System32

More screenshots...

screen10.png screen11.png screen12.png

48. System32

System32

The last three screenshots. Sorry for all these posts but allowing max five uploads per post is just too few. These 16 files are not even 1 MiB in total size, there's not much of a reason for this restriction. It just made my presentation suffer.

screen13.png screen14.png screen15.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  49. System32

System32

New version: 1.0.1

+ Improved script template
    + LWFmagic will now self-exit if LWFS shuts down
    + Now suggests obvious paths discovered during setup

Edit: Deleted download link for 1.0.1, please get the newest version from http://www.flash-in-unity.net/ instead.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  50. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

Hi,
    is there the possibility to integrate LWF into Webview so that the latter can render html pages with Flash content as well?