Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lux Hair shader for unity 5 beta20

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by larsbertram1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

working on the port of the lux hair shader for unity 5 i had another look into real time shadows and shaders using alpha blending and – le voila – after having done some testing i found a quite promising solution.
    right now i have managed to render real time shadows on top of alpha blended geometry by using 2 materials on the same mesh:
    - mat1 using alpha testing to fill the z-buffer and render all fully opaque parts (using the built in shadow receiver functions)
    - mat2 using alpha blending and a "custom" shadow receiver function.

i still have to work on the hair brdf and the implementation of spherical harmonics (gi does not really make sense here as hair will probably never be marked as static) and hopefully find a way to merge both materials into one 2pass shader. anyway – here is how it might look like (please note: ambient lighting is not supported at the moment). [edit: ambient lighting is supported now]

lux_alpha_blended_shadowreceiver_animgif.gif

the outer tips of the hair strands still do not receive any shadows but this is less noticeable than i thought it would be (and might be improved by "blurring" the shadow texture).
    real time shadows are supported for directional, spot and point lights. so keep your fingers crossed that i will find a way to bring back ambient diffuse and specular lighting. then this shader might be a good foundation for rendering hair or other things having a highly detailed alpha texture like e.g. wire mesh fences. however: it won’t help on semi transparent materials.

lars

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

and one more ;-)
    i have implemented my own ambient occlusion parameter and function so now ambient lighting is up and running, everything looks nice and should be correct as well:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-12-29 um 01.56.42.png

ZiadJ, OneWayRoad and Reanimate_L like this.
  3. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Very nice, are u releasing this publically?

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

if it stays stable while testing: yes.

p87 likes this.
  5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

This is kinda surprising actually, since this technique were glitching in unity4. if it's really stable in 5 i would be happy :)

6. ksam2

ksam2

Thanks

p87 likes this.
  7. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i would be happy too ;-)
    as right now it is glitching in unity 5 as well... i hope to get it stable, but that could take some time – if it is possible at all. so eventually i will publish the lux hair shader for unity 5 just using alpha testing.

lars

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

after having moved forth and back for quite a while i hope i have a pretty stable version now – at least as far as opengl is concerned.
    but as it is a rather expensive solution i wonder if it worth it...

alpha blended shadow receiver01_animgif.gif

ksam2 likes this.
  9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just curious, are you manage to make the anisotropic/Hair highlighting working?

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Yes, but lighting has never been the problem. Alpha blending and Real Time shadows are.

ksam2 likes this.
  11. ksam2

ksam2

old Lux shaders doesn't work anymore with unity5 can you convert them too?

12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

KRGraphics, ArthurT, ksam2 and 2 others like this.
  13. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

shader updated for beta 20.
    please note: alpha blending does not work correctly at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    ksam2 likes this.
  14. kiriri

kiriri

I suspect I'm just being an idiot here, but how do you install your plugin? I'm using R3 and both 2.0 LuxHair shaders are throwing errors along the lines of

expression left of ."SpecShift" is not a struct or array .

I forced OpenGL but these errors are still d3d9, could that cause it? 1.0 hair shader throws (just the one)

declaration of "unity_FogColor" conflicts with previous declaration at /UnityShaderVariables.cginc(174)

Also, there is a Missing Prefab in your Hair Demo Scene. I think you might have to share the scene as a package like you do for the Lux Eye Shader Demo . Furthermore by disabling the main camera by default any Camera.main will return null which causes some editor scripts to fail.