Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lux-an-open-source-physically-based-shading-framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Mar 19, 2014.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

2. ZJP

ZJP

Another solution.
    No HDR for me. So I used the flags like this : :D
    Code (csharp):
    2.             // exposure is in linear space so we convert it to srgb
    3.             // Lux_HDR_Scale is already in srgb
    4.             DiffuseExposure = Mathf.Pow(Lux_IBL_DiffuseExposure, 1.0f / 2.2333333f);
    5.             if (diffuseIsHDR)
    6.             {
    7.                 //DiffuseExposure *= Lux_HDR_Scale;
    8.                 DiffuseExposure = RenderSettings.ambientLight.r;
    9.             }
    11.             SpecularExposure = Mathf.Pow(Lux_IBL_SpecularExposure, 1.0f / 2.2333333f);
    12.             if (specularIsHDR)
    13.             {
    14.                 //SpecularExposure *= Lux_HDR_Scale;
    15.                 SpecularExposure =  RenderSettings.ambientLight.r;
    16.             }

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Lars: What I meant by sphere projection is like a round room with a reflection on the "round" walls. that's what I meant by sphere projection, so that round rooms have more realism. (One thing i will point out though: most games except maybe the sci-fi ones don't exactly have round rooms... :p)

Still a suggestion that could be taken though! in the meantime, i will see how a regular cubemap looks in a round room!

EDIT: Tried it, it didn't quite work as expected: a regular cubemap is EXTREMELY STRETCHED on my model, so yes, if possible, try making a sphere projection shader for round rooms if possible!

BTW, here is the scene for those interested. (Note however: this doesn't use the cubemap projection!):

$ScreenshotLux.png

No need to critique this, but feel free!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

round room: that sounds very special and i do not think that it is of general interest.
    sorry if i disappoint you but i think that is not anything i could focus on right now.

lars

5. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi lazygunn,

requests are always welcome.
    and if they are of general interest i will do my best to get them into the core: like sss ;-) or vertex blending: both techniques i would call to be very fundamental and you can derivate a lot of personalized shaders from the base code.
    but that is all i can do i think.

gpu pro 5: do you mean the screen space grass shader? somewhat beyond my scope i think as the foliage shaders are built around already given tools like the terrain engine e. g. that is what people are used to, that is what people know to to work with. but building a completely new tool to paint grass on top of the terrain is something that might work in some very spacial cases but will be pretty hard to integrate as a "working out of the box" solution.

lars

6. squared55

squared55

Hmm... I tried copy-pasting from the repo, and broke... something. Couldn't get it to work, with one error after another. Ended up just redownloading from the asset store. Is there a better way to get the package from GitHub than just copy-pasting? Anyway to get the whole thing in one go? (Sorry if this is super-obvious; this is my first experience with GitHub)

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Squared55: simple due, just go to the left and click "download ZIP" If that doesn't work, then I have no idea what your computer's up to! This is what i did to get lux.

@Lars: for some reason, the scene didn't show in my last post, so here's a google drive link. for those who see it, i apologize for double-posting:

LINK

And that's fine, I just thought that might be a good idea, after seeing the weird result i got with box-projection and spheres... :/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

the files on github are always the latest available und much more up to date (and unfortunately even much more bug fixed) than the version from the asset store.
    so it is best to get it from there (e.g. like fuzzyquills has described).

lars

9. kravch1

kravch1

Hey, Lars! Thank you this awesome asset you've shared for free! It means much to community!

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing same problems as squared55: updating project with GitHub files brokes LuxCubeProcessor with about 54 errors, where first one is
    Is it possible that some file missing or this is some old revision of script?

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

that is pretty strange.
    but i have just uploaded the script again (a version which compiles fine).
    please try again.

lars

11. kravch1

kravch1

Thanks, Lars! I've even downloaded it again from asset store to get the same error. Then I've just deleted all other assets and it worked. :eek:

UPD: I guess it was Cubemap Controller from other package ^^

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@kravch1: what's cubemap controller? I'm curious!

13. montedre

montedre

Lars,

I am new to substance designer and Lux but really want to use them for the Game Project I am developement manager for. Would it be possible to have a quick out line of the best practices in creating the substance and then using it with Lux in Unity. Are there any pitfalls that you have seen in this workflow. We need to get this up and running fast for some deadlines we have.

Thanks in Advance

Monte
    INT-Game.net

14. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

unfortunately i am not into substance designer – but other user are.
    hd_ for example has written a lux based shader for substance designer:
    http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,917.0.html

and there is some more useful info in this thread. so just have a look around,

lars

15. montedre

montedre

Thanks Lars,

I have finally found the full documentation for the Lux asset (my fault I didn't look hard enought - it is right in the package ) I do have some further questions on the cube maps.
    1) when setting the overall maps for the level - are those best done with the lux cubemapper or are ones from the internet that fit the basic lighting better. if we use the cubemapper where would be the best place to position it.
    2) what are the advantages and disadvantages of using HRD for the cubemapes
    3) are the general cube maps enough or should we create one should we crate one near each metalic object?
    4) how would you go about creating a specular ambient cubemap - I assume the diffuse should reflet the sky lighing of the scene - something very much like the skybox - if your using one in the scene.

Sorry, just trying to learn all of this - if there is a place with these answers in it that I missed just let me know

Monte

16. lazygunn

lazygunn

Which maps you use entirely depend on the situation, you can use what looks best! If you're using box projection shaders, they can appear as approximate 'reflections' which means your cubemap would probably want to be captured by a probe within the room, but I dont really thing there's hard and fast rules unless you want to be particularly accurate. That said, i've found it better to use a hdri i got off the net that approximates the mood initially while building things up because if you capture a map from an unfinished environment it wont represent your final plans and probably just have everything look entirely incorrect. Thees maps for every lighting condition under the sun somewhere or other on the net, theyre nice guides until youre scene is together enough to start using your scene for grabbing more accurate maps. If your scene is particularly rectangular, you can use Lux's box corrected shaders to get some 'cheap' reflections that, when a bit glossy, can look really nice

I guess by HRD you mean HDR? Well, taking your own vision into account, the dynamic range is the full tonal range between what you'd consider black, and what you'd consider white. If you go look out of a window on a sunny day, the inside will look darker while your eyes adjust so the sky becomes blue rather than a very bright colour, even though the entire illumination is the same wherever you are. To cut a long story short, there is significantly more illuminatio and colour data available in a lit scene than your eyes can see, the same holds for optical devices (or what's recording them) in general. A HDR image is intended to contain the full range of illumination and colour it can from what it records, rather than just what the eye might percieve at that point. If this data is not present, go back to the looking out of a window on a bright day example, but image you'd be doing it in a videogame, it would mean you'd look out and everything would continue to be white, all that information that should be visible is lost. HDR data sources mean you'll always have a huge range of visual information available for your illumination, it's adapted back to low dynamic range for actual consumption with tonemapping, which usually gives you the control to keep the luminosity of an image to within an exposure (Some try to replicate the human eye with an adaption speed)

If you already knew all that, then the simple answer is your cubemaps are providing illumination for your scene, that they contain as much illumination information as possible is i guess a principle of the process, but you should always want as much tonal range as possible from anything that lights or produces an image of your scene. Often when HDRIs are made with digital cameras, the cameras suffer from exactly the same problem and its usually the done thing to take 5-7 images (for a very nice spread) of each segment of the panorama at a wide range of f-stops. I'm sure there's rigs that can capture HDRIs very quickly now but there's no mystery as to why you rarely see anything that moves in one

You'd use a general map for your room really, unless your metal was extremely shiny, but realtime reflections remain a problem in realtime graphics and i think it's generally inevitable you compromise and your metal just take its illumination and reflection from the map for that section of the location (Stuff like breaking an area up into boxes with box corrected cubemaps for each one, objects entering each box assuming the map assigned to that box is coming up, might be better if you want more accurate reflections, in fact theres a great example already by someone in this thread, not more than a few pages back)

I'd generally say if you're outside, your skybox would be your environment map that is illuminating things anyways, you can augment that with a directional light to act as the sun. The cubemaps affect the shading at all levels, specular means 'reflection' in this model, it's not just highlights of lightsources it's the amount of reflection entirely, in the specular/gloss Lux workflow the roughness of a surface that will soften out a reflection is called a roughness or gloss map, however you wish to see it. A map as you capture it, or process it, or if you use one created by anything else thats compatible, is not just left as a single cubemap, it is erm, well it seems like black magic to me but it produces both a diffuse and specular cubemap, the specular map generally is a chain of maps that are used to produce the glossy appearance in specular reflections, and if your map contains the sky then anything illuminated by it will take on the appearance of being lit by the sky

I did go on a bit then, sorry, just couldnt stop typing hah

Funtimes ahead anyways, got some textures to sort out and then i'm going to do something absurd and try and contribute to Lux with a cloth shader. I might ask for help if I get confused (I'd like to be able to mix some factors of Cook-Torrance into it if possible, i'll see how that goes)

17. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi monte,

just some quick answers:

1) just take a cubemap that gives you nice results ;-) as it acts as a "general" environment probe it should not be that specific i guess but nicely fit with your lighting setup and give you some interesting shading even if there is no direct lighting present.
    if you use the cubemapper to generate your environment probes the position to bake those from totally depends on your setup up and level design.
    lets assume you have a outdoor scene: then probably the skybox will just fits best (if the color of the bottom face fits your global ground color).
    but what’s about a daytime city scene viewed from first person perspective? well in this case a lot of the skybox will be blocked by the buildings. so it might be a good solution to do a simple block out: built a simple scene which contains your skybox, a ground plane colored with a medium gray (asphalt) add 4 further planes representing the surrounding buildings, give those a proper color, set up direct lighting to match your level and lightmap the scene.
    finally bake a probe.
    2) hdr cube maps cover a broader color space. however the lux cubemapper only allows to bake "faked" hdr cubemaps.
    3) that depends on the roughness of the given surface and the environment of course. usually i would say that very smooth surfaces will need their own environment probes which is rather expensive as far as memory consumption and bandwith are concerned. so the rougher the better ;-)
    4) same as creating the diffuse ambient probe.

lars

18. lazygunn

lazygunn

I need to take short answer lessons from you.

19. montedre

montedre

Don't the Lux shaders support the substances from substance designer?

20. montedre

montedre

Found my own answer - in case anyone else needs to know - in the default substance you can set the options you have exported and create copies of the shader and set those settings. Then change the shader to to a lux shader.

However, I notice that you have updates on git. given that unity hates you moving files outside of unity what is the best way to update the files? Or do you need to do it in the explorer/finder?

21. kravch1

kravch1

@motedre: usually I just copy files directly in OS, overwritting the old ones;

it's actually from Graphics Power-Up package. it produces blur and diffuse cubemaps (both RGBM) on runtime.

btw, any ideas on pbs car paint?
    $top-banner-01.jpg

22. goat

goat

Hey Lux folk,

As I figure this thread knows more off the top of their head about shading and I want to learn about how Lux and Substance Designer interact since my prior question about being able to use Substances and Lux together was answered, sort of...so here goes:

a) I'm wanting to do watercolors shaders? Anything remotely possible like that on Unity Free? I bought the painterly asset not noticing it needs Unity Pro but that's similar only I'd call the effect painterly makes bleeding magic markers.

b) What the 'coolest' shader available on Unity Free that creates an 'artistic effect' (think watercolor, oil paint, pastels, chalks, mosaics)? I was thinking of printing the UVs for all my game models and watercolor painting them and scanning them back in or maybe using SketchBook to similate watercolors.

c) Also, I have downloaded a trial of Substance Designer I haven't yet installed, but I'm not really sure what it is. Is it a competitor to PBR shaders like the free Lux shader or is it a complement? It seems they are both some type of PBR shader or no? Could I use my Bamboo tablet, UVs and SketchBook to create watercolor textures/substances in Substance Designer or for Lux?

Thanks.

23. lazygunn

lazygunn

It's interesting you say about using NPR with PBR shading as i'm attempting something similar, make something completely not real, look real, still needs much investigation

I've coveted this asset https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12465 for a while, theres quite a few nice NPR shaders there, they don't really fit in with PBR shading (or at least being affected by it, as much as i can tell). I'm going for an idea of treating the model textures with a filter technique called choherence enhancing shock filtering, software to see it here https://code.google.com/p/cefabs/, and the game be more a very realistic looking stylised oil painting

I'd like to make the latter an image effect but it needs serious horsepower so gpu compute is absolutely necessary and i'm trying to stay away from compute-based solutions for now.

Substance Designer is a very neat procedural texture generator, its very neat indeed, and a user has made a great way for it to work fine with lux, its a few pages back so i'll see if i can find it

24. lazygunn

lazygunn

Lars, this is for you http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter10.html, i dont know if thats just a step on the way and have to see skyshop's result, but for Lux to be self contained would be great so i do keep searching for things. Another good article is in GPU Pro 4, at least for getting accurate reflections out of the cubemaps, its by that fine gentleman Sebastien Lagarde who you seem very familiar with (i've been reading his blog a bunch lately too). I can imagine you're quite busy with your foliage shaders at the moment, mind (Have you read his 2 bdrf answer to wet materials? I'd only just read that a few days ago then read your new foliage shaders would have wetness implemented, seemed like a good match

I don't understand that notation which is very frustrating because I used to be able to, i can find a man who can most likely however, assuming you dont, although i wouldnt know

And yes in response to your question I was talking of the screen space grass rendering, the book is out in 5 days time, they seem to release the support files for each article as it becomes available so i'd imagine the publisher will have an implementation of the effect available a bit after the 7th (i hope) As tom is more of the guy to do this kind of thing, i know he intends to update his volume grass, maybe he would find it more under his remit than you feel it is yours, but if i see it pop up as an update to the supplementary materials i'll let you know

@goat - substances were given support excellently by makeshiftwings here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/235027-Lux-an-open-source-physically-based-shading-framework/page11

25. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

@goat:
    i am sorry but question a) and b) are not really related to lux as lux is about lighting and not special rendering effects.
    and i guess watercolors, oil paint and thinks like this are best done in screen space so it most likely a post effect -> pro only.
    c) sunstance designer lets you create substances = procedural generated textures. you can use those to feed lux.
    and there is a lux based shader for substance designer so you can preview your work in substance designer and see how it will look like when using the created substances in unity together with any lux shader.
    sorry about my short answer bit it should cover the main topics anyway.

lars

26. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi lazygunn,

as i have mentioned before real time convolution of environment probes it just not on my list right now.
    it would not be that problem to port all the c# code for convolution to a shader i think but i fear writing the c# control script that handles all the things in the background...
    and again: gpu driven convolution nearly in real time does not automatically mean at run time: i do not remeber where i have read this, but some aaa game studio has published the time for doing all the convolution on a cuda farm: so they do it offline. but of course they do it very fast.

physically based wetness just took a few hours but ironing out all bugs in unity (linear vs. gamma, deferred vs. forward ves. vertex lit, real time lighting vs. lightmapping, opengl vs directx9 vs. directx 11, image based ambient lighting vs. ambient color) is just a horror. and i do not mention fog here...

screen space rendered grass might be nice – but i do not know how it really looks like. i have just seen one single blurry image showing a meadow. but does it work with a third person perspective? does it work with a first person perspective? how would you distribute in on the terrain?
    so unless all those questions are answered i will focus on improving given features.

lars

27. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

btw: lux heads towards 1000 downloads from the asset store.
    it could be more i guess. so please do not hesitate to vote it or leave a comment.

lars

28. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi kravch,

what exactly would you expect from a psb car paint shader that lux does not already support?
    it is not a rhetorical question but lux already offers features like fresnel and ambient specular reflections.
    do you mean a multilayered brdf?

lars

29. goat

goat

Thanks LazyGun Lars,

This page cefabs https://code.google.com/p/cefabs/ is more or less what I'm after although that's like a tween of oil paint property and watercolor properties.

I guess I was hoping the since Lux was a physically based shader I took that to mean I could pretend I was going to paint every polygon with watercolor or oil paint by defining that as the 'physically based' part of my shader but it seems that is wrong. I thought I could define rust, aluminum, gold, soils, and lots of materials. I will read soon about this but for now I am going back and look at Taregula as it's just a little less foreign to me than PBR. One thing at a time. My models look fine but I was going for a painted look, that can wait. Tschuess

30. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh you misunderstand, not a feature request, no worries, it's more out of interest really, when i say something it's not always a demand! Sometimes i'm just being conversational, and maybe other people can take something from it.

I can only imagine, it sounds a complete brainache - good advertisement for Lux though, and I continue to work on something that is essentially promo material for Lux. Do you have an ETA on the AFS update? I can use the shaders including generating the weather to show the shaders' various aspects i think, kind of part of the terrain i'm using to promo, and I was thinking of making the webplayer a kind of tutorial so you can switch between IBL and direct, look through the different maps used to create a material and so on. It's not a distraction from my project as it's a product of creating stuff for the project so no worries there, it would just be nice to have some more examples. This is reminding me to get off the sofa right now and do some work!

Again, wasn't a feature request, just brought it up out of interest, asking for thoughts. I suppose i'll find out in 3 days what it looks like if i can grab the book, and hopefully all the supplementary materials have been updated on the publisher's site. Like I say I just mention it as it's interesting rather than assume you implement it, so if you think it's interesting i'll let you know how it seems, post pics etc

And yep, seems like a good time to go and five star Lux

31. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i think i am more or less finished with the foliage shaders. some final tests with dx9 and dx11, cleaning up the code and adding wind animations to the vertex lit version of the grass shaders.
    but i have to update the docs. and that will take quite a while...

lars

32. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well, no rush right now, and documentation always seems the most joyless part of making these products, so my commiserations

33. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Lars: Cool! Be nice to have realistic trees too. ;)

Anyway, why I'm posting: I noticed that the 'RenderToCubemap' option in your LuxEnvironmentProbe script no longer works properly in Unity Free, even though a while ago, i rendered a cubemap fine using the same script. Is this because it's now a pro-only feature?

34. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

'RenderToCubemap' has always been a pro only feature...
    if you use unity free simply uncheck this option.

lars

35. eskovas

eskovas

36. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey lars. You already said it was okay to include Lux in my asset store pack. Is it okay if the version of Lux I am using for my pack is from github and not the Asset Store? Do not know if there is a difference. Thanks

37. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

the one in github usually the most updated

38. Birdlay

Birdlay

This shader framework is amazing! I own Alloy, but unfortunately it doesn't work with substances or Bitmap 2 Material so I found this as an alternative. While it's not quite as "fancy" as Alloy, it's definitely quite amazing. It's so amazing in fact, that I spent a long weekend converting the S-F Pack assets to work with it using B2M, and then applied Sonic Ether's new bloom shader along with my own cocktail image effect, modifying the Lux emssive shader to not have alpha (Why is there not a bumped specular emissive anyway?). I also added a ton of lighting enhancements, lightmapped everything, added the new Sample Assets FPS character, and added ambient sounds. Anyway, here's some screens:

Here's a full album:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91xunjstqie7b12/7M0TkjS61E

And if you want, here's an executable download(requires DX11, run in fantastic because I forgot to delete the others when I configured it.)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nce325rqyv5cjmh/PBR Showcase.rar

Anyway, criticize this, I'm sure it's ugly/broken in some way. Have a good day!

39. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I mean if there is a difference in the licensing. The updates are the reasons why I want to use the github version.

40. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Holy cow that is beautiful CPTechnologies.

41. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you should always include the latest version -> github.
    but what are you ging to publish? i am curious.
    any pictures for this thread?

lars

42. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi CPTechnologies,

a nice level you have there: well done!
    but what do you mean with:
    not as fancy as alloy? do i miss anything? ;-)
    but seriously: what does alloy support that lux does not (apart from their reflection textures)?

have you checked the github repo for the latest updates like specular anti aliasing and the new box projection solution?

lars

43. Birdlay

Birdlay

Mainly stuff like their inspectors, with sliders for metalness (which multiplies by the actual metalness) and roughness for fine tuning. Of course you can edit that in Photoshop, but I find it easier to prototype stuff like this with easy-outs :) Also I didn't know there was a Github until right before I posted that post, so I'll be sure to go check it out! Specular anti-aliasing sounds amazing.

44. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am working on a tropical environment pack. I know there are a ton of tropical packs already. Just wanted to work on this as my first environment pack.

These screenshots are a few months back. Progress has been slow lately. In these shots all the shaders ,with exception to the sky and water, are Lux shaders. The water is the FX Lab water.

$TFP_Lux1.jpg

$TFP_Lux2.jpg

$TFP_Lux3.jpg

Eric2241 likes this.
  45. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

looks pretty mature already, well done.
    although the ground cover could need some more variation in shading and coloring i think.
    which shaders doe you exactly use? if it is the grass shader for the grounf cover you could think about applying vertex colors to bake ambient occlusion and add much more variety in color.

nevertheless, great stuff and i would really like to see some lux driven assets on the store.

lars

46. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

the github repo is much more up to date than the asset store version. so it really worth to have a look at it.
    next to some bug fixes it also offers some more shaders and scripts – just like the lux textureimporter which will give you specular aa.

as far as sliders are concerned: there is a metrail test shader for the specular reflectivity workflow offering such sliders – but not for the metalness workflow yet. but i highly recommend to not use that shader for production as it just wastes resources.

lars

47. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks. The ground cover is just the terrain grass shader. Will post more screenshots as it progresses.

48. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

so if it the terrain grass shader vertex colors will add a lot to it. just give it a try!

lars

49. hopeful

hopeful

When does the asset store version get updated?

50. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@CPTTechnologies: ONLY DX11?! WHY YOU LITTLE!

I only have a DX10 laptop to fiddle with, so either UT need to add DX10 support, or you drop your graphics down to DX9!

But at least you were nice enough to provide screenies! And nice ones at that!

@Lars: well, i did know that the realtime RenderToCubemap was always pro-only, but i remember using RenderToCubemap in Unity 4.1 free! Every time i use it now, it looks like it's taking one screenshot, then using the same image on all the faces.

Last edited: May 7, 2014