Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LUTs and Post Processing For Skybox in CM

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by DavidLieder, Jun 6, 2018.

1. DavidLieder

DavidLieder

Are there any third-party post processing effects that work with CM? The reason I ask is because the entire Amplify product line and all camera post effects I've tried are all broken on CM. As for products like Amplify Color, since there does not seem to be a User Lut in CM post processing V2, then Amplify Color has no value because we can't plug in custom LUTs.

Does the dev team expect to get the User Lut added to Cinemachine post processing V2?

If anyone is interested, these Cinemachine V2 post processing effects work great on the skybox:
    • Bloom affects an HDR skybox (awesome),
    • color grading
    • depth of field
    • vignette
    • chromatic aberration
    • grain

I notice that some of the current Cinemachine V2 post processing does not affect the skybox at all. Effects that are null on the skybox: auto exposure, screen space reflections, ambient occlusion, and since there is no motion in the skybox, the motion blur does not affect it at all. Ambient occlusion does not work on the skybox because it has no actual 3D spaces.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

HI David,

Something to note - Cinemachine cameras aren't new cameras, it's really just an animation system.

When you create a CM vcam, we sneak a component onto the Unity Main Camera called the 'Cinemachine Brain'. All Cinemachine is doing is animating the main camera, the virtual cameras aren't actually cameras at all, they're just virtual camera operators which get cut and blended together and then we post that final animation to the main camera. CM is just a big marionette system driving that one (or more!... but usually one) regular Unity Main Camera.

Whatever post fx or anything else is applied to the main camera will work with Cinemachine.

Any post issues you're having with skyboxes or anything else has nothing to do with CM.

DavidLieder likes this.