Search Unity

Lumberyard: Amazon's CryEngine-based engine with free source code

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frpmta, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Yes; ppl in their forums are expecting to see something BIG to justify Lumberyard, they hope to see maybe even CryEngine 4 in GDC with source access and the $9 fee dropped. We know CryTek, I don't think they have anything like that to show... They'll just pick something 'meh' and try to market it as a big deal instead of working on something solid for engine consumers. After all, they've already got the 50~70$ million they needed until their next AAA game tanks again.

CryTek is hiring 'low level' C# engineers; there's position open in their page. Maybe they want to replace LUA with C# and call it CE4.

tatoforever and Ryiah like this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

They should change the editor , C# would not be enought, some big game companies took UE4 for graphics reasons and also usablity, easyness and documentation.
    If you use UE4 or Unity you will se how easy the editor is to navigate , find things and work, while CryEngine is more complicated , there is too many things going on or under secondary tabs making things less readable, many tabs needs to become more clear.

Yep, they got lot of money to let them time to figure what to do next.
    They stayed arrogant or didn't understood the indie market but this is a great company on the tech side, today they still have amazing features, i would really like them to make a new start. We need guys like them that show that is possible to deliver hig graphics and performance at same time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Or UCry4..

There already is CryMono, so interesting to see what happens.

landon912, BrUnO-XaVIeR and Ryiah like this.
  4. arkon

arkon

I've just taken a look at the amazon site where all this is and find myself mightily confused. What exactly is AWS and what use is it to a typical multiplayer game? There were many words and dozens and dozens of pricing plans for many different things. All of which was very confusing. Maybe it's my age but can someone please explain WHY i'd want to use Lumberyard using AWS services on say a game like Rust or say World of Warships for example. Taking the actual Lumberyard engine out of the equation as as far as I can see Lumberyard, Unity and UE are interchangeable.

Secondly in the FAQ it says you don't need to use AWS, if you want you can have your own servers. So I'm assuming it means you could have a VPS hosted somewhere and use that, but then what kind of software would you need running on it.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm as thick as S*** but being now 50 years old somethings seem to make no sense to me like the difference between web hosting and the exact same web hosting but on a cloud server!! I mean what the hell is the difference?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Forgive me in advance if some of what I say doesn't make too much sense, not slept properly in a few days.

AWS is a completely cloud based solution with a bolt in fo Lumberyard. The actual component name as shown on Amazon's website is Gamelift..

So yeah you have your master in the cloud doing things like IRC / XMPP federation / cloudsaves (if that's your bag), create build / upload it to a game server after configuring policies called IAM. Then you access the Gamelift web API to control certain stuff.

Well that's as far as I understand it.

The difference? Well you get a fancy UI and some services I guess? Some of the e-commerce and master account stuff I gotta admit I was quite interested in..

I don't really "do" MP though, so I've only took a partially vested interest.

6. Marchpane

Marchpane

Other Game Dev forums are having a good laugh at section 57.10 of the Lumberyard Licence agreement, i.e. 'The Zombie Clause':

57.10 Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

tatoforever and Teila like this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Pretty sure 50 is the new 25...

Martin_H, luispedrofonseca and Teila like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

"Amazon Web Services" Amazon offers bunch of "cloud" computing services. Data storage, computing, database, networking, etc. Basically, you can subscribe and get yourself a remote box (with linux on it) that will run something you need. Or store something you need. Or host something you need. This can be used to host multiplayer servers, as far as I can tell.

That's the gist of it.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

I understood AWS is manadtory if your game is multiplayer, you can't make a multiplayer game without AWS.
    There is no restrictions on solo games so this should help the engine gain some popularity.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's only mandatory if you intend to use cloud services.

zenGarden likes this.
  11. arkon

arkon

I thought it was only mandatory if your using an AWS service, you can't use another companies equivalent thing BUT you are free to use your own server somewhere. At least thats what I thought it said.

12. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

people buy that kindle fire thing?
    .. its dumb as hell, its a gimped tablet made for amazon store ?? thats my understanding of it ?

.. guess the idiots buy into it ... like steam .. lol

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes and no. I'll start by stating that I formed my opinion after having used the actual device. It's a tablet that is intended to be used with Amazon's economy but it is neither gimped nor is it solely restricted to their store. If you wanted to install Google's Play store you're actually able to do so (though it isn't a one-click method).

You would think at a glance that for $50 (I've seen it as low as $35 on-sale) it wouldn't be very useful but it's literally on par with some tablets that are normally sold for double or even triple the cost. Additionally there are videos on YouTube (I'll link one below) that show it handling games just fine. It's become my new Android development device.

Hardware info is linked below (middle column). It's OS is labeled as Fire OS 5 but it's basically a reskinned Android 5.

https://developer.amazon.com/public...ications/01-device-and-feature-specifications

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  14. Teila

Teila

Geesh, judge much? ;) Lots of people love Fire. The vast majority of them are not gamers. Most use them as e-readers.

Isn't it lovely that we have technology for all types of people, from soccer mom's to grandmothers to professors, gamers...and even those who think everyone else who isn't like them are beneath them.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Additionally this tablet has become the new minimum quality standard for this price range. Previous if you paid this amount you got a barely usable tablet but now if a company wishes to compete they have to at least match the quality set by Amazon. Otherwise they won't sell their tablets.

Teila likes this.
  16. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

.. is just that its a shady tactic to make money that is inferior to existing products..
    same with consoles , they are inferior PCs with software made to create a like, "contained monopoly".
    .. like those Keurig coffee makers,

but whatever, was just a little comment lol
    uhh.. cause someone mentions being interested in the market for the device, but, i personally would not be since i dont believe in the device at all.. i dunno i made a observational comment in passing, dont mind my remarks much heh

interesting you can use the device otherwise i guess i didnt know that .. i thought they were straight up a Keurig-scam type thing

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Except the tablet is superior to practically every other tablet in the same price range and superior to many tablets in price ranges as high as triple the tablet's actual cost. Shady would be the vast majority of its similarly priced competition which are often useless for anything other than an ebook reader.

Believe me. I don't pay any real attention to remarks made without any actual experience or facts to back them up. I just don't like leaving people's comments unchallenged because it sometimes leads a newcomer to believe something they really shouldn't.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  18. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Ok, I think if you'd like to discuss what Lumberyard & Amazon offer/don't offer it's best to discuss it in their community. I know everyone is excited about new tech but remember this is the Unity forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.