Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► Lowpoly Shader ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Lowpoly Shader creates flat-shaded (a.k.a. lowpoly style) rendering effect without modifying mesh vertices and triangles.

Side_by_side.jpg

Alternative way for rendering lowpoly style meshes is to manually create them in 3d modeling software or use a custom script for converting regular mesh into flat-shaded.
    Lowpoly Shader does not need any mesh conversion and does not use any scripts. Just assign it to any mesh and it will be rendered in lowpoly style.

Comparison with script generated flat-shaded meshes:
    Test scene contains only opaque meshes, one directional light without shadow cast, camera in Forward Rendering.
    No skybox, GI, image effects or other run-time scripts. All possible features that can somehow effect rendering are disabled.
    Rendering resolution 1920x1080. PC build (GTX 660M).
    benchmark.png

Lowpoly Shader has built-in wireframe rendering and vertex displace options:
    giphy.gif

Note:
    Lowpoly Shader requires device with GeometryShaders support and currently supports only Built-in render pipeline.
    • Before purchase try this test shader to see approximately how mesh will look in lowpoly style.

Amazing Assets - YouTube Facebook Twitter

firstuser likes this.
  2. MrIconic

MrIconic

Does it make a difference if you use URP?

3. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

4. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I really wish URP could be supported somehow. Thanks for the free upgrade. I purchased all your great stuff anyway.

5. BioBurden

BioBurden

Just picked this up - great asset. One request - I'd really love if it had the ability to add glow to the wireframe, with some options to control the glow colour, intensity etc. Is there another way I can achieve this effect? Many thanks.

6. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Wireframe color is in HDR format. You can increase its intensity from color picker and it will glow when using Bloom post-processing filter.

7. BioBurden

BioBurden

This seems to only apply for parts of an object facing the directional light. upload_2021-7-20_11-13-51.png

8. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  9. BioBurden

BioBurden

Wow, thank you very much - that works perfectly. :) If you're ever thinking of more features, a nice outline option would be great (similar to the wireframe, but just the outline). :) Again, many thanks for the quick turn-around on the above. Great asset.

10. shubhank008

shubhank008

Hi, any plans (or ways) to use this with trees material (so they are affected by wind) ?

11. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Currently not planed.
    Bookmarked for the future updates.

12. WildcardMoo

WildcardMoo

Hi @Arkhivrag

I just tried the demo shader and I notice there are no parameters on it. Are there parameters on the actual shader(s), and if so, which ones?

I'm asking because I'm looking for a low poly shader for characters (not so much for environments). I'm looking for something to where I can customize the poly count. Using the shader on a complex model (e.g. the ones from Protofactor) gives a nice result at first look, but it's still way too detailed to fit into a low poly environment.

Thanks!

13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Shader does not reduce vertex/triangle count or somehow adjust a mesh. It just renders mesh in 'lowpoly style'
    Here are all features and settings shader has:
    Material_Editor.png

14. WildcardMoo

WildcardMoo

Thanks for the quick and exhaustive reply!

15. Derpydooreviews

Derpydooreviews

Hello! I purchased your shader but I'm a little confused, I've never used shaders before. Is there a youtube tutorial or a more in-depth guide to getting it set up? I've never messed with the unity pipeline or GeometryShaders so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Shader has no video tutorials as it is common 'low poly' shader, with demo/test shader in the store page description.
    Manual file (inside Documentation) describes all shader properties.

17. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@Arkhivrag I just found out that the recent version, you dropped the Unlit shader, which I really need this. I sent you an email to get the most recent version, that has Unlit support. Many thanks :)

18. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Download the latest version (v2022.1). It contains Unlit shader.

ikemen_blueD likes this.
  19. jnbbender

jnbbender

@Arkhivrag How would I determine if I should use the Low Poly Shader or the Low Poly Mesh Generator.
    You mention there are pros and cons to both. What would they be?
    I thought the Mesh Generator would have reduced triangle count but you mentioned that it does not. So what are the differences to consider?

Thanks

20. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Both assets render mesh in "low-poly" style. None of them reduce triangle count.

Difference between those assets is that LP Mesh Generator works on all devices, but needs appropriate mesh to be generated first. LP Shader does not need any mesh generating and renders "low-poly" affect directly from material, but it requires devices with Geometry Shaders support.

Also with LP Mesh Generator can be used any shader that can use vertex colors.
    LP Shader uses only its own shaders (example).

There are other differences, but those above are the main.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
  21. drhousemd

drhousemd

hi, any plans to add URP support?

22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Plans are to integrate effect directly inside ShaderGraph.

23. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

any update on this great news yet? thanks :)

24. jschalky

jschalky

Hi I am looking at this asset to purchase. However i tried the test shader but it removed a lot of the detail in the material. Does the full version handle it any different?

25. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Shader renders mesh in 'low-poly' style, where rendered details depend on the mesh vertex/face count.
    Rendering examples are in promo images.
    Beside 'low-poly' style, shader can render wireframe and blend Diffuse/Normal maps per-pixel too:
    upload_2023-12-16_13-31-39.png