Search Unity

Low volume w/ Unity plays mono 8 bit WAVE files with 22KHz

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by aerende, Jul 28, 2010.

1. aerende

aerende

I translated some audio files from 32 bit 44KHz MP3 audio files to 8 bits at 22 KHz and made them mono from stereo.

1) When I click on the 8 bit audio file in the Project window, the volume is at the normal level.

2) When I play the 8 bit audio clip in the game, the volume is really low even when I increase the sound.volume to 1.

3) When I translated the audio file into 16 bit WAV the audio clip played fine in the game.

Any ideas why the volume is so low when the 8 bit audio clip is played in the game?

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

Were the audio source and listener in the same positions during the two tests?

3. Jessy

Jessy

10 doesn't make sense. Only 0-1 does anything.

Not that this helps you with your problem, but at least you'll know it's futile in the future.

4. aerende

aerende

@andeee -

Yes, the audio source and the listener were in the same position. Basically I have a character firing a shotgun. When I swap in the 8 bit audio clip I can barely hear it but when I swap in the 32 bit audio clip it is fine.

5. andeeeee

andeeeee

This looks like a bug, and we don't seem to have this exact problem on record in the bug database. Please can you file a report for it (menu: Help > Report A Problem) and if possible attach the two audio files that demonstrate the issue.

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

I've run into this same problem.

@aerende - did you ever get a bug logged etc? Or find a solution?

Two files attached: cool_low.wav is the mono 22K version.

Attached Files:

7. aerende

aerende

@geppetto -
    I sent in a bug report but Unity was not able to reproduce the problem and so the bug report was closed.