Search Unity

[Low Poly?] Wooden Stool

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by brandon199511, Jan 17, 2012.

1. brandon199511

brandon199511

I am making assets for the game I am currently making. This is a simple (I think its low poly?) wooden stool model I made.
    Feedback?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

It's good but could be a lot less. Low poly would be under 100 for something as simple as that.

3. larvantholos

larvantholos

Hey, your images are broken. Heres a few tips tho, we have a works in progress section, and these would fit better there. I see this is a new thread you've opened here, you should really edit your old thread (there is an edit button there, check it out) and add these in. It will be easier for people to give you feedback, if everything is in one place :)

4. brandon199511

brandon199511

Hows this?

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

Also, why the "Showcase" section?

6. brandon199511

brandon199511

-_-. Really? Showcase, Showing what you have made.... Is this a peanut butter and jelly section or am I in the right place?

7. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I think the "Showcase" section has been redefined to "finished game showcase". The "Works in progress" section (all new) being dedicated to showcasing everything that is not a finished title.

At least that's what I get.

As for the poly count... I guess the only way to go lower than you have is to make the sticks actually be 3-faced instead of 4-faced.

8. Vert

Vert

Nope, wrong section. They renamed the sections of the forum and are slightly restructuring it. I didn't notice till I decided to reply after doing some research. This is new. Anyway...

Showcase is finished Unity work only. Work In Progress is now where things show go.

It's not bad. Try adjusting the smoothing angle to get rid of some of the hard edges. Also, the top needs to be designed to be blocky or spend the polygons to make it smooth. Else, go retro style and use a plane over a low poly base to make it look round like the top of the pots in LOZ Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask.

http://zelda.wikia.com/index.php?title=Flying_Potℑ=Flying_Pot_-28Ocarina_of_Time-29-png

*If you look closely, its a cube jar spout, covered with a plane and texture to make it look round. That's about as low polygon as you can go.

9. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

LOL

It's fine. You could technically make a stool so low poly it's nothing but four, two poly planes and a top, two poly plane, haha. IMO, you can get to anal worrying about low poly. It's important, but really, its not like your developing for ps1.Texturing could use a little work, but that comes in time....lots and lots of time.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. reveriejake

reveriejake

If it were me... I would make the legs out of 3 sides, smooth the normals for the legs and braces.. Then focus on improving the silhouette of the stools top right. The idea is to make the silhouette look realistic without using a massive amount of polygons. Your attention is going to be directed to the top more than the bottom anyway!

Just my 2 cents :).

Jake

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks fine. I doubt it would actually run faster on mobile if it was less tbh. The only reason you'd want it to be less is if you were using dynamic batching and needed a lot of stools (!) for some reason.

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Delete all of the underside polygons, under the seat, under each of the foot bars, etc. Yeah this model is fine for mobile spec, doesn't need to be lower than this, like hippo said, unless you need to put like 600 of them in your level.

13. reveriejake

reveriejake

Yeah the polygon count isn't such a huge deal anymore but I think you should still be conscious of it and more importantly be conscious of the silhouette. It seems like a lot of indie developers are so focused on poly count that the objects they put out look square.

As for what JamesArndt said, he is right but only if this is going to be a static object.

14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Or if you're a super tiny character and your underneath the stool! :)

15. reveriejake

reveriejake

;) Rediculous how we still use polygons... How primitive! It should all be made of carbon...

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tesselated nurbs voxel thingies or death!

17. reveriejake

reveriejake

Voxels are evil!

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Ill S*** my pants when i find a auto resulution changing voxel sytem.

How can they be evil when every frame you only need like 1080x2000 voxels to have a flawless display? onless you meen some resizing crap that deforms for animation?

....maby im missing something.

19. reveriejake

reveriejake

LoL... I am not being serious! Read the previous posts!