Search Unity

► Lowpoly Mesh Generator ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JDrem1

JDrem1

Looks awesome.

Quick question.
    Do you have any control over how many polys it reduces meshes by, and to please?
    Whether a tree, rock, house whatever?

Thank you.

2. coverpage

coverpage

It don't think it actually reduce the mesh. Just gives it a low poly look. But the end product doesn't require textures so that saves alot of computation.

If you have many environment assets with different styles, this helps to unify the styles for use in the same project. At five bucks this is a killer deal in my humble opinion.

3. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hey thanks for the help. Im newish to Unity, so forgive if this is a noob question.

But when you say it "doesn't reduce the mesh, but just LOOKS low poly." So the poly count stays the same?

Im looking at it to reduce polys for VR. But if the count is a high, the performance wont alter.

Oh and one last question I forgot, if done on a textured surface, like a mountain side, or brick surface, or entire terrain, can it / will it sort of keep the same could, and dumbed down texture look?
    or does it turn the whole thing flat colours?

Again it looks an incredible program.
    I just wondered about these two points.
    Textures, and
    If the poly count could be lessened but also with some control giving a medium, rather than super low count.

Thanks for any help.

4. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Mesh triangle count will remain the same, you can not reduce it with this tool.
    Exception is terrain conversion where you have full control on vertex/triangle count.
    Textures are baked directly inside mesh per-vertex (giving low poly effect)

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

5. JDrem1

JDrem1

Thank you very much for the help, on both forums. I appreciate it. :)

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Excellent tool but。。when a mesh has multi materials this tool will merge all the material into one. So, finally it looks like a S***, and can't deal with light any more.Have you notice that?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/cn/#!/content/35361 this assets tree leaf is wrong.It is white after convert.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/cn/#!/content/42897 this assets tree can't accept light any more.

Hope you fix it ~
    And i think the convert is not so smart . It looks like average handle by vertex round distace。maybe you should change your mind ,like ,texture color same ,will merge not by vertex range.Or combine two would be better.

But,i understand your design a little, it is just for lowpoly style generation, not reduce tri operation.

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You can enable/disable multi material merging during converting
    Untitled-1.png

Yes, it's only for giving mesh lowpoly style. It does not reduce triangle count.
    Untitled-1.png

8. xieyun2017

xieyun2017

I have a question that what if the original mesh has vertices more than 50,000?whats gonna happen? will this tool do well?

9. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Editor tool will split the mesh automatically and then convert them.
    Note, original mesh is not effected.

10. xieyun2017

xieyun2017

Got it, thanks for your reply

11. Fu11English

Fu11English

Hi, i am working on a game which intends to have this kind of style. Forgive my ignorance because I know very little about rendering and shaders when it comes to game dev.

But...

What does this actually do that I can't just achieve by setting all my edges to hard in a modelling program and importing to Unity?

Thanks!

12. cr4y

cr4y

I have bought your package and am really happy with it. We are using it in our game: Body of Evidence.

Unfortunately we have critical blocker: we want to use SEGI, and SEGI requires "any shader that works with the deferred pipeline (the Standard shader for instance)".
    Does your asset have such shader? If no, could you easily write it? It would help us a lot, currently baking lightmaps takes tens of hours.

13. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Package includes PBR shaders with both Forward and Deferred rendering support.

14. esmaeeldoost

esmaeeldoost

How to use this asset with Curved World unlit shader?

15. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Enable VertexColor option inside Curved World unlit shader.

16. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Hi,

how can I convert a terrain with trees on it? I tried and only the terrain is being transformed (using low poly mesh generator).

Thanks for the great asset!

Hannes

17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Only terrain.

18. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

Hi,
    Does the latest version work with Unity 2017.3? I've tried converting 3 different models and they all just come out flat grey. Does it work with texture atlases? And Skinned mesh renderers?

Thanks
    Bill

19. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

I do have these shader errors that may be causing the problem.

20. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

Just had some success in a clean project. Is there is issue with having the build platform set to iOS?

21. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check Unity log window. If something goes wrong during convertion it will contain detail info about it.

22. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

ok I had to turn off "Override for iOS" in the texture import settings.

23. udede

udede

Hi

Low poly mesh generator window is blank and this issue.

Unity 5.6.6

Thanks..

Attached Files:

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Seems you are trying to import package for Unity 2017 into Unity 5.6, it will not work.
    Try: Remove plugin from the project, clear Asset Store cache folder and re-download package using Unity 5.6

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  25. udede

udede

already did so but did not

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Just downloaded Unity 5.6.6 to check it myself and everything works at my side.
    upload_2018-9-19_16-51-37.png

Error you are receiving about "UnityEngine.ImageConversion" method, it is part of Unity 2017 and does not exist in Unity 5.6

You are using Unity 2017 version of the asset in Unity 5.6
    I can not suggest more than I told: Remove plugin from the project, clear Asset Store cache folder and re-download package using Unity 5.6

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  27. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

I'm trying to convert assets from this package: POLYSCAPE - Fantasy World. It uses a custom shader and so when I try to use Mesh Texture & Color option I do not see all the options that are set in the shader. In the end the resulting model comes out completely wrong with the mask (shader uses a mask texture) baked into the vertex colours.

Do you have a suggestion on how to handle this?

Edit: After reading through the comments I noticed that this is not supported. So for anyone in the same position, what I did is put the mask texture on the model with Diffuse shader then did the Materializer Texture & Colour to vertex burn. Then I used Adjustments to change the colours to original. So a bit involved but I don't have that many models to convert.

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Custom shaders may have lots of options, whille Mesh Materializer allows to bake only 2 textures and 1 color option from a material. Final result of course, will be the different too.

29. udede

udede

hello

xcode build have this error

thanks

Attached Files:

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Seems you are using asset for Unity 2017 with Unity 2018
    There are no more procedural textures and materials in Unity 2018
    Remove plugin from the project, clear Asset Store cache folder and re-download asset using Unity 2018

31. Munchii

Munchii

Hey! Are there any way to generate the terrain, even without another high poly terrain? Thanks in advance!

32. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Using displace/height texture? No.

33. D-DutchDave

D-DutchDave

Hello!

Recently I came across your tool and by the looks of it, the videos and the reviews I think it's a great tool. However, before I buy it, is there an option to get some sort of preview or example of what my models would look like after using your system? Or do I send the mesh file here to get a preview? In that case, the mesh file is included below.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
    Dave

34. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Send me mesh and texture you need to bake. I can show how it will look after conversion.

35. D-DutchDave

D-DutchDave

Here is the texture, and the mesh can be downloaded from the sketchfab I sent above. Thank you!

Attached Files:

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Texture is baked into vertex color.
    Triangles count is not changed.

upload_2019-1-2_19-47-19.png

37. D-DutchDave

D-DutchDave

That looks sick! Thank you for your quick reply and preview, you just got another customer :)

38. D-DutchDave

D-DutchDave

For some reason Unity keeps crashing after clicking "generate". Any ideas on how to fix that?

39. D-DutchDave

D-DutchDave

Im using Unity 2017.4.17 by the way.

40. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

It seems like you can get similar lighting results (but not per vertex texture sampling) by setting the mesh import settings like this:
    upload_2019-1-15_16-49-58.png
    (You can lower the smoothing angle below 5 if you want to break of almost flat triangles, but you will end up with more verts)
    I think that a better solution for shader model 3.5+ is to use nointerpolate in the shader. This way you can reduce the vertex count dramatically.
    You have to reorder triangles and calculate normals in a custom manner, but that can happen on import.
    You can also use screen space derivatives, but for some reason, ddx/ddy did not work for me on Android.

David Wu

41. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

o_O

DavidSWu likes this.
  42. Weblox

Weblox

@Arkhivrag - Hi - I just bought the Asset and I am very happy so far. Is it possible to add the Option of saving the generated mesh to .FBX in a future update?

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

FBX exporter is 'closed source'. Not planed.

44. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

I got nointerpolate to work on Android, IOS, and Windows but the only problem is that GL uses a different primary vertex than HSL and I am not sure how to call glProvokingVertex from unity to set GL to behave as DX.

So we are currently postprocessing meshes differently depending on the platform (not fun), just to reorder triangles for GL.
    On a positive note, it reduced our vertex count significantly as we are able to weld together most verts that share UV's regardless of their face or normal.

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Similar results - Yes. Even with more options.
    Mesh decimation tool - No.

Note: mesh triangle count will be the same as original, vertex count = (triangle count * 3)

46. noobynobody

noobynobody

Please provide some documentation because I don't know what half of these options do.

47. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Check ReadMe file inside Doc folder. It contains quick start guide and explanation of editor features.
    Additionally check video tutorial posted above demonstrating process of generating 'low poly' (faceted) mesh and baking texture inside vertex color.

48. noobynobody

noobynobody

Thanks. Here is an error I get when I open the window. I'm using 2018.4.2f1.
    TypeLoadException: Could not resolve type with token 01000086 (from typeref, class/assembly UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset, UnityEngine, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null)
    VacuumShaders.LowPolyMeshGenerator.LPMG_EditorWindow.OnEnable () (at <a6fb09992a1f49c4ae78ec57bc46fb91>:0)
    UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow()

49. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It may happen if using asset for Unity 2019.1 inside Unity 2018.4.

Solution: Delete asset from project (Unity 2018.4 in your case), clear Asset Store cache folder and re-download package from the store. Based on Unity editor version appropriate asset will be downloaded.

noobynobody likes this.
  50. g8minhquan

g8minhquan

Hi @Arkhivrag, is it possible to add an option so we can customize the look? i.e. I want to make the meshes look more blocky or sometimes having finer details.