Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Low Poly Focused Portal/Community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PcPocket, Aug 5, 2015.

1. PcPocket

PcPocket

Well, I'm not sure if I should post here or in graphics support forum, but as this is not a technical question, I choose here.

Anyway, I'm looking for cgi websites with lots of contents about low poly flat style.
    I found some tutorials and stuff while googling, but nothing specific.

I want to create graphics like there are in 'Toca Nature', 'Grow Home', 'Adventures of Poco', 'Software Inc', etc...

Does anybody know one?
    Thanks.

2. PcPocket

PcPocket

No one? :(

3. Ostwind

Ostwind

I'm not sure if there is any point to specialize in to such site as the models are usually something that you cobble together in few minutes with zero experience when learning the modeling tools. Also you can crunch down normal models to such looking models in most modeling apps by default or free plugins/scripts, stuff from asset store or etc.

What problems did you have when tried to create such content yourself? in Unity you need to remember to disable smoothing when importing them.

4. Cherno

Cherno

I would disagree with that. (Good-looking) Low-poly modelling is an art to itself and actually harder than high-poly modelling, especially if animations are involved.

randomperson42 and XGundam05 like this.
  5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Polycount forums would your best bet. There are discussions there, you may have to search a bit.

CptDustmite likes this.
  6. CptDustmite

CptDustmite

7. PcPocket

PcPocket

I have some experience, I want to get to know deeply about low poly techniques, it's not that simple.

Thank you.

Any else?

8. Ostwind

Ostwind

I'm not sure did you mean in general which is different thing but I was personally referring only to these poly styled games where you you don't really use any textures but only vertex coloring and the models look very low poly on purpose. The latest polycount link and google image search of the first post games shows the difference. Or even better here is that style quick blender tutorial for @PcPocket

9. Cherno

Cherno

Yes, we are on the same page, although I wanted to stress the fact that such art is not the result of inexperienced users dabbling around in Blender for a few minutes, but rather (if it should look decent consistently) an art style that takes as much work as mid--to-high-poly versions, specifically if deformation is an issue (shoulder areas on human characters are notoriuosly hard to get right without a lot of vertices to work with).

10. darkhog

darkhog

Well, lucky you. I am currently working on extremaly low poly (think early 3D graphics), flatshaded game called Computer Virus Simulator. Ask away and I may be able to help, on PM if you don't mind.

11. PcPocket

PcPocket

Thank you, I've found lots of tutorials on youtube, but most of them teach you how to model a specific thing. It's cool, but I want a place with guides about techniques in general. I found some on youtube and one or another in some blogs/websites. I'm not lacking tutorials actually, just want to know if there is a community focused on this, that I would gladly join haha

Thanks for your generosity.

12. XGundam05

XGundam05

@PcPocket the techniques from modeling a specific thing are transferable to modeling a different thing. Especially in low-poly.

13. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

While technically, this is true, there are a lot of consideration to details specific to quality low-poly, and tricks/practices.

And, yes, you are correct if someone is a solid modeler and know what you are doing, then doing low poly art is just about learning the specifics/bounds/style/etc.. Low poly modeling isn't easier to learn if someone doesn't already know modeling. Its a sub-set.

It is one of those terms like "toon"/"cartoon", that often gets abused/misunderstood.

15. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

16. XGundam05

XGundam05

That's what I meant ;) I pretty much exclusively model sub-1000 polys. And once you have your preferred technique (box, edge, what-have-you), it's all about keeping in mind the limitations and your poly/tri budget.

I had assumed that the tutorials to which the OP referred were about low poly modeling a thing :)

zombiegorilla likes this.
  17. PcPocket

PcPocket

Yeah, that was the first site I found haha, thanks anyway.
    ----

Modelling is not the only part of creating a scene. There are different techniques for low poly about lightning, materials, etc..
    So that's why I wanted a focused site that could cover all the points, but I think I will have too read something here, something there haha