Search Unity

Low performance

Discussion in 'Web' started by Macode, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Macode

Macode

Greetings, I have build for WebGL and it takes ~160 ms per frame rendering, while the same project with PC build takes ~8ms and runs smoothly in editor.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

I suggest you expand "Drawing", "UpdateDepthTexture" and so on until you find out what's actually expensive.

3. Macode

Macode

Hi Marco-Trivellato, thanks for suggestion, but I didn't do that because even drawing part takes up to 50ms

4. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

Could it be that there are just too many objects in your scene? It's really hard to tell what's the problem without any more info.

5. Macode

Macode

I don't think so, since PC build runs smoothly. Could you tell which data would be helpful here? Profile log?

6. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

Standalone builds are native applications and use multi-threading, whereas Unity WebGL runs single-threaded in a VM inside the browser. This page will tell you what you can expect from Unity WebGL in terms of performance.

7. Macode

Macode

Yep, I read it in right before getting to forum and in the top there is a line "the WebGL graphics API uses your GPU for hardware accelerated rendering", so this is the main reason why I don't take into consideration any CPU/multi-threading issues, since profiler shows me 20 times bigger rendering time for WebGL than PC build.

8. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

Could you describe what's in your scene?

9. Macode

Macode

10. jRocket

jRocket

Try switching to deferred rendering. UpdateDepthTexture and UpdateDepthNormalsTexture are very expensive for forward rendering but you get them for "free" in deferred. Alternatively, stick with forward rendering and figure out what is causing the Depth/Depth Normals to be generated and remove it(probably cascading shadows, a shader, and post effect)

11. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Try checking if browser is using the GPU

12. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

My Unity app loads many images from the internet, often. I created a native build, when ever it loads an image from the internet the whole game freeze for up to5 seconds. I solved that problem with the WebGL build by using worker threads, but native builds dont have javascriot so cant use worker threads to solve the freeze problem.

For a native build, do you know how to create a background thread to download a texture from a URL then apply the texture to a gameobject?