Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Low FPS when running the game in 2 Unity instances

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by manutoo, Feb 28, 2021.

1. manutoo

manutoo

Hello,

to test the online multiplayer mode of my game, I duplicated my project (while sharing the "Assets" & "Library\Artifacts" folders through Symlinks), and then I launch 2 Unity Editor instances and launch the game on both of them.

With only 1 Editor instance running the game, I get around 120 fps. If I launch another instance, the instance that doesn't have the focus sees its fps dropping to 10~20fps.

If I use 1 editor & 1 build, both run around 70~80 fps, and are not affected by having or not the focus.

Anyone would know how to fix that behavior ? It makes it very hard to test when 1 editor instance runs much slower than the real thing... :confused:

Notes :
    - the scene view is hidden ; only the game view is active
    - I use Unity 2019.4.20f1 ; it was the same with 2019.4.13f1
    - there's no profiler nor profiling on (I think)

2. luke-unity

luke-unity

I have encountered that as well when running multiple editors a few pieces of advice I can give:

- Lock your game to a low but acceptable framerate with Application.targetFrameRate = 60; That will give you an overall higher FPS in both editors because there's less fighting for CPU resources.

- There is a setting in Edit/Preferences/General called "Interaction Mode" setting it to "No throttling" can help with performance when running multiple editors.

- Make sure the ''Run In Background' checkbox is checked in Project Settings/Player.

3. manutoo

manutoo

@luke-unity ,
    only doing "Application.targetFrameRate = 60" was enough to get both editors running at 60 fps ! (''Run In Background' was already checked)

Thanks a lot for your help ! :)

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

DeathPro, autohawk and luke-unity like this.