Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Low FPS when running the game in 2 Unity instances

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by manutoo, Feb 28, 2021.

1. manutoo

manutoo

Hello,

to test the online multiplayer mode of my game, I duplicated my project (while sharing the "Assets" & "Library\Artifacts" folders through Symlinks), and then I launch 2 Unity Editor instances and launch the game on both of them.

With only 1 Editor instance running the game, I get around 120 fps. If I launch another instance, the instance that doesn't have the focus sees its fps dropping to 10~20fps.

If I use 1 editor & 1 build, both run around 70~80 fps, and are not affected by having or not the focus.

Anyone would know how to fix that behavior ? It makes it very hard to test when 1 editor instance runs much slower than the real thing... :confused:

Notes :
    - the scene view is hidden ; only the game view is active
    - I use Unity 2019.4.20f1 ; it was the same with 2019.4.13f1
    - there's no profiler nor profiling on (I think)

2. luke-unity

luke-unity

I have encountered that as well when running multiple editors a few pieces of advice I can give:

- Lock your game to a low but acceptable framerate with Application.targetFrameRate = 60; That will give you an overall higher FPS in both editors because there's less fighting for CPU resources.

- There is a setting in Edit/Preferences/General called "Interaction Mode" setting it to "No throttling" can help with performance when running multiple editors.

- Make sure the ''Run In Background' checkbox is checked in Project Settings/Player.

3. manutoo

manutoo

@luke-unity ,
    only doing "Application.targetFrameRate = 60" was enough to get both editors running at 60 fps ! (''Run In Background' was already checked)

Thanks a lot for your help ! :)

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

DeathPro, autohawk and luke-unity like this.