Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Low FPS in build, when duplicating screen to another monitor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EstragonHelmer, Jul 21, 2019.

1. EstragonHelmer

EstragonHelmer

I wasn't sure where in the forum to put this, so mods, feel free to move it.

I've hit a weird problem today. It worked fine last time I tested, so I'm not sure what's changed over the last few days. There's been a new version of Unity, so it could be that.

My game runs at 60fps or higher pretty consistently in the Unity editor, and in build, most of the time.

There's one specific case where it doesn't. If I plug my laptop into the TV with an HDMI, and I duplicate the screen, so it's visible on both, the game drops to 20fps. It runs at 60 if I project to 'PC screen only' or 'second screen only'.

I've tested multiple cables, and tried building again, as well as running the game through Steam, and directly from its .exe without Steam running, and results are always the same.

Any ideas, anyone?

- UPDATES -
    Did a little more testing, reinstalled the previous version of Unity. Same issue exists in 2019.1.11, and 2019.1.10

Further testing reveals the issue ONLY happens when running the game in fullscreen mode. When windowed, it runs at 60fps + no matter what the resolution is. When fullscreen it tops out at 20fps even on the lowest resolution setting.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. EstragonHelmer

EstragonHelmer

Okay, final update. It miraculously started working again for no reason, and I still have no idea what caused the problem, or what fixed it.

3. leslviv

leslviv

I have identical issue since switched from 2018.4.21f1 to 2019.3.15.f1
    Still looking for a solution.

4. M4dR0b

M4dR0b

Run into this issue today, it was posted mid this year here and is set to regression.

Hopefully Unity will deploy a fix soon.

leslviv likes this.
  5. leslviv

leslviv

Thank you. Need more votes.

6. leslviv

leslviv

No issues in Unity 2021

M4dR0b likes this.