Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Love Sounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ony, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Dabeh

Dabeh

“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    RJ-MacReady likes this.
  2. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

And we're back

3. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It was a sexist quote too!

Dabeh likes this.
  4. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Oh, yeah. So.... I'm gonna go.

5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

"You'll be back. They always come back." -every creepy person ever in film

6. Ony

Ony

So anyway, yeah... sex, violence, etc.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Both sex and violence can be personal and impersonal, I doubt it's the reason why sex is still a taboo subject. I suspect it's because society shielded kids from it. The reason kids aren't shielded from violence is simply a lapse on everyone's part, or simply the human race is so F***ing warlike that it's pretty normal.

Ony likes this.
  8. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

This is is interesting because you use of 'bad' appears to be completely at odds with my usage. I highlight this not to say you are wrong, but to note how important it is to define your terms. Even when we think we are all on the same page there is still so much potential to talk past each other.

Ony likes this.
  9. Ony

Ony

Absolutely true, that.

What is your usage of the word "bad"?

10. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

In your example violence is 'bad' for the victim and 'good' for the victor. Since it's always bad for someone, it's bad overall. To me that use of bad has a strong emotive quality to it. But my use of bad is not dependent on who the actor is, so it does not change whether you are the victim or victor. I would say that if something is bad it is morally wrong, i.e. I am making a claim about what we ought to do (or not to do). So If you hurt someone for fun, then regardless of whether you benefit from it it is bad, in that you ought not to do that action. A difference between our views might be that I don't believe in subjective morality (although I do not ground my morality in a deity, but rather in 'philosophical reasoning').

Ony likes this.
  11. Ony

Ony

Yes, to me, morality is completely subjective, which is why I try to use the words "I believe", "I feel", and other personal phrases as much as I can (or as much as I remember to) in these types of conversations while discussing it.

Violence, for me, is always bad. It always results in someone suffering, which to me is bad. To some, suffering may be seen as a necessary component of improvement, which I will grant. It doesn't change my personal thought that violence is "bad", though.

Added: I will again state for the record that I enjoy violent horror movies, games, etc. Because I think something is "bad" doesn't mean I don't engage in it myself. Balance in everything is what I strive for. So I'm not asking for violent content to be taken away, I'm just asking for sexual content to be allowed right along with it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  12. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

I don't want to get more off topic, so I will save this discussion for another day, or pm. But let me plant the seed - I propose to you that you are not in fact as much of a subjectivist as you believe you are :)

Now back to the issues of sex in the asset store!

And for my Edit: yes, sexual content should be on the asset store, and not just hidden away, but rotated around with other promoted content.

Teila likes this.
  13. Ony

Ony

Agreed. ;)

Cheers to that.

R-Lindsay likes this.
  14. movra

movra

Hey look, a new APM Music section on the asset store. Both keywords "Love" and "Violence" return results. ;)

15. Ony

Ony

Hah! I know... I just got the email newsletter and besides the announcement about the music store I was also greeted with "Add the realistic sound of a knife plunging into flesh or other gory and violent noises to your game!"

Music is one thing, but Unity gave a definite no to anything sex-related and a definite YES! THUMBS UP! to violent disturbing murder sounds. I'd like to see a newsletter say something like: "Add the realistic sound of flesh into flesh or other sexy and romantic noises to your game!" - Yeah, like that would happen.

Honestly, it's a little off-putting when the company who makes the software I use decides it's super cool to remind people about violence and murder and how awesome it is in their newsletter. The Unity community doesn't strike me as a bunch of violent developers making kill games. Why keep trying to push it on us? Oh, that's right... money. From Sony.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Teila likes this.
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

In the film industry, they're known to actually record things like a dead trout being slapped against another surface, or in the case of Hans Zimmer, probably all sorts of weird bits and pieces. So maybe you could sell it as "Wet fish smacking (love) sounds."

"Asthma attack (love) sounds."

"Seagull Electronica (love) sounds."

Ony likes this.
  17. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I know exactly what you mean by asthma attack love sounds. Damn you for that mental audio.

18. jashan

jashan

Sorry to say it - but the Asset Store team comes across simply as a bunch of hypocrites. At least the people writing the legal terms and the people doing the promo stuff. Or maybe these people should talk to each other instead of ridiculing the company. So ... for the record:

Source: http://unity3d.com/legal/as_provider

Source: Promo-Message via Email from the Unity Asset Store December 2nd.

Oh well ... but I can see: The provider agrees to not upload that stuff - but if the provider violated that agreement, Unity is free to push that crap into their customers' faces.

Well, I've opted out of the Asset Store News for now. I'd rather just opt out of garbage like that because I actually do like to get news from the Asset Store but that's not possible (can I please get a checkbox "Leave me alone with crappy violence, please!").

I'd appreciate an official comment (the message I sent directly to the asset store team on Nov 19th never was answered).

Ony likes this.
  19. c-Row

c-Row

I am pretty sure it helps if you as a provider happen to be Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Ony and Teila like this.
  20. jashan

jashan

Well, that much about "democratizing game development" then ... maybe it should rather be "militarizing and corrupting game development" in the hopefully unlikely case that this is your new direction. Can we go back to democratizing please?

And remember values implicitly encoded in a name? If you have Unity, violence simply doesn't make sense. Only sick people hurt themselves ;-)

Making love on the other hand is a perfect means for achieving Unity. In the end, from the perspective of the immortal self, love is the only thing that's real. Everything else is just an ephemeral shadow providing contrast to make it easier to actually experience the Ocean that each individual is a drop of - one moment at a time ;-)

Ony likes this.