Search Unity

Lots of free .bip animations from Autodesk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesArndt, Sep 26, 2012.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Autodesk gives a direct download of a ZIP file loaded with .BIP files for 3ds Max. If your unfamilar with them, it allows you to simply select a biped rig in Max, open a .bip file and it applies an animation directly onto the biped rig. It's VERY handy for getting animations going quickly in Max. This pack has almost everything, walking, running, idles, jumps, skateboard tricks, dancing, talking on cell phones, etc. This is an awesome resource for development.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13390051&linkID=9241178

Ahmet Aksu likes this.
  2. derkoi

derkoi

Very useful, thanks for the heads up James.

3. jessica1986

jessica1986

thanks,

more please

JamesArndt and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. drewradley

drewradley

More what? .bip? or any free motion capture? If you are just looking for any free motion capture, google Carnegie Mellon Motion Capture. Thousands of them. Granted MOST of them suck and need a lot of work but there are a few gems in there. Might even be a .bip conversion somewhere. I know someone converted them for Poser some time ago.

5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@jessica1986 - Well I can give no more than Autodesk provides lol. I know of those university mocap resources too, but it's messy uncleaned mocap data and would need a ton of optimizing and tweaking and then of course conversion to .bip.

6. goat

goat

Both of you the entire CMU mocap dB is in the asset store in 3 parts. Unity has already cleaned it up for you.

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well there ya go!

8. hellcaller

hellcaller

9. nanozip

nanozip

just found several free mocaps here: www.hyperlearn.p.ht

10. Socrates

Socrates

I realize that someone already did a bit of thread necromancy here, but I'm hoping someone can point me to what Goat is talking about here. When I look under Animations on the Asset Store, I do not see this. Searching for "mocap", "CMU", and "Carnegie" didn't turn up the three packages mentioned.

11. nanozip

nanozip

True... couldn't find them either.

12. onelove

onelove

thanks man, max animations are awesome for starters :D ....unity has awesome help

13. kanga

kanga

Thanks James!!!

Bruce reworked em for ya
    https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed....dsmax-friendly-release-of-cmu-motion-database
    The above link is 3dsmax friendly files, there are links for mobu, daz carrera and poser friendly bvh files. He also made a tutorial for porting the bvh through to biped in max which you can prolly find on youtube.

Bruce fixed the major rotation and axis problems and I think there is a couple of thousand files. The earlier files you can find on the spread sheet have more jitters but you will probably have to run the motions through a filter to make them more relaxed anyhow.

Cheers

14. Justin-UD

Justin-UD

I just downloaded the pack, but every bip is just one movement. I thought you had to have Idle, Walk, Run and Jump in 1 bip ?

I'm new at this, should I keep searching or do I paste bips together or can I use multiple bips to get my 3Ds Max character in Unity ?

15. drewradley

drewradley

Yes. You can use 1 bip per animation. When exporting for Unity simply name them characterName@idle, characterName@walk, etc. Then unity knows that the word after "@" is an animation clip and is automatically associated with "characterName". If it doesn't add them automatically, you can drag the animation clip off the model named with the "@" to the main model. In theory, the animation will work on any model with the exact same skeleton structure and naming.

16. khanstruct

khanstruct

17. Justin-UD

Justin-UD

18. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

I've just been looking at the Carnegie Mellon files and also the autodesk files. They look great but the hands/fingers don't seem to move on my biped. Are hand movements not included, or am I importing the data wrong somehow?

Turbones likes this.
  19. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

You can merge the animations using the Biped's mixer, if you don't want to have too many fbx files in your project.

Btw, does anyone know if Maya LT uses biped and *.bip?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  20. jaxx0rr

jaxx0rr

links ded

WAIT (literally) after 2 days I found it...

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...nloads/content/3ds-max-2010-biped-update.html

heres a backup

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7xAhAhYUrjaX3RpclptMjVoeUk/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    John1515, Asset4Indie and hits like this.
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Considering the date of the post is almost two years old it doesn't surprise me. Given that they are apparently supposed to be included with 3ds max, I wonder if you couldn't get more of them from a trial copy of 3ds max.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  22. goat

goat

OP how can you stand wearing that out St Augustine?

23. motcap

motcap

24. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Wow that's a great find too!

25. DoubleNibble

DoubleNibble

Performing some more thread necromancy here. That latest resource, http://motcap.com, has since then started to charge for the mocap data. It says only $5 to have unlimited downloads for a day. There is no free samples that I could use to check the quality and video doesn't tell everything. Also, when I go through paypal to pay 5$ to check it out, it says: "$5.00 USD for the first day, Then $0.01 USD for one day" in terms. It's just $0.01 but is that reoccurring payment?

I registered to the site and trying to access profile page just throws a login screen at you even though I've logged in. There is a lot of little things that do not establish much confidence to the service. Does anyone have any experiences they can share with me about this service and/or did anyone get a look at the mocap data quality before they required a payment? I'd ask them, but the site seems to also lack any contact details.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Could use mixamo.

27. DoubleNibble

DoubleNibble

I've considered Mixamo and tried. Right now, I'm only looking into different alternatives to get somewhat natural looking animations easily. I wanted to see the alternatives, like getting whatever motion cap data is out there and seeing how much cleanup and tweaking different packages would require and do they even have animations that I need. Might end up going with Mixamo subscription at some point, but for now I just wanted to see all the other alternatives out there.

28. jaxx0rr

jaxx0rr

after again one year I reinstalled 3d max design 2015 (its free if you have a student license) and again I started looking for the files .. fortunately I remembered I found them once and posted a link with backup.. then I saw you post and decided to login and speak my mind... I am trying to find the reasoning behind not just you but people like you ... are you trying to be a hipster or do you just like to impede progress in general ?? There are literally hundreds of people probably looking for that file each month.. and only a fraction end up here.. again from those only a fraction have an account to comment and say thanks.. if it was by your rules none of them would have the file... and NO its not included in 3d max 2012, 2013, 2014 or 2015 ...

29. Turbones

Turbones

I noticed in all the Bruce Hahn conversions that the hand data was incorrectly mapped, the solution was to map the joint called "fingerbase" to hands instead of HANDS, Hands was misinterpreted as wrists, the wrists actually dont move. SO in order for the CMU motions to work with hands, You would have needed to map Hands to FINGERBASE instead. The same goes for ALL the CG speed conversions, including, daz, mobu and 3dsmax. HTH.

JamesArndt likes this.