Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

@wm-VR I already commented on this issue some posts above: #286

wm-VR likes this.
  2. wm-VR

wm-VR

After making noise it's just fair to say that deleting the ShaderCache.db solved the problem for me. I am not recommending deleting it since I don't know what impact this can have but Unity seems completely responsive now. The file had a size of 81 gb for a relatively small Android/Quest2 project.

I want to add that the "Hold on .. busy"-messages I posted before also shrinked down to a reasonable time or completely disappeared and the project-loading takes now 2 minutes instead of one hour (I thought this was normal case). Visual Studio also starts way quicker. Anyway .. thanks.

KarlKarl2000 and aleksandrk like this.
  3. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

This file contains errors and warnings from shader compilation, so you don't lose much. Next time a shader is compiled or loaded from cache, the warnings and errors will come back :)

wm-VR likes this.
  4. Personuo

Personuo

It's frustrating and scary because this crash happens when you save a scene and there is nothing you can do to undo the damage, I just edited the UI for half an hour and when I save it "Hold on" appears again.
    This makes my work simply can not be carried out.
    This is definitely the biggest setback I've encountered in 6 years of using unity

PutridEx likes this.
  5. Temka_193

Temka_193

There is some information on this. The guys from my team say that if you turn off the Internet, the "hold on" window no longer appears.

6. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

So like collaborate's check for changes.

7. sietse85

sietse85

Same issue here, it's VERY frustrating. Because of this bug, I can not select any other shader on any material currently.

Edit: Someone suggested to turn of the internet connection to make the window dissapear, this did not work for me.....

Delete shadercache.db worked as workaround. But in 2020.3 the bug still occurs

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  8. artfrost

artfrost

Help!
    In the editor, every time I call the context menu, a progress bar appears
    "Hold on, Inspector Window.Repaint"
    "Hold on, SceneHierarchyWindow.Repaint"
    "Application.Message.NonClientLeftButtonDown"
    P.S.
    Recently appeared, before this was not maybe
    included something in the project settings

9. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

That should get fixed in 2020.3.1 real soon. (edit: 2020.3.1 is out)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Which Unity version exactly? IIRC in some 2020.2 version there was an issue like that, but it should be fixed in 2020.3.1 any day now.

Leslie-Young, wm-VR and AlexStrook like this.
  11. larskroll

larskroll

Hey

I'm getting this once in a while aswell. So far, I can't reproduce reliably. I'm on 2020.3.0f1. It doesn't always happen in my project. I will keep an eye out for a repro.

For me, theobservation is:
    I click e.g. "file" menu open, and wait a second ish
    A progress bar appears, looking like Unity is locked or busy with something.

Same happened after trying to make a build: I'd click build, and while selecting the folder I wanted to build to, the busy progressbar appeared. It's annoying more than actually destructive

12. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Try 2020.3.1 that was just shipped yesterday.

larskroll likes this.
  13. Temka_193

Temka_193

did anyone check 2020.3.1, freezes disappeared?

14. BenniKo

BenniKo

I upgraded to 2021.1.0f1 and still a simple mouse click and cause the popup

I will delete my library folder and reimport all.
    Maybe that will help.

PutridEx likes this.
  15. sandstedt

sandstedt

wm-VR likes this.
  16. sandstedt

sandstedt

@Temka_193 To be clear. Just tried the 2020.3.1 version, and yes. It works :)

wm-VR likes this.
  17. kaila2000

kaila2000

I download 2020.3.1f1 now... but still have problem.
    I tried open C# to visual studio2019, then hold on pop up is appear, never finished it.
    No problem for 2019.4.7f1.
    이미지 487.png 이미지 487.png

AlterMannn and VirtualPierogi like this.
  18. amarillosebas

amarillosebas

Another case of the "Hold on (busy)" in 2020.2.3f1

upload_2021-3-31_1-5-31.png

Every time I close the editor, my computer throws a dice that determines if I'll have to wait some time for it to effectively close or not. On most occasions, it won't take longer than a minute, and when I'm not patient I just kill the Editor in the Task Manager. But this time I decided to wait. I have no idea what's going on, and the Task Manager shows the Unity Editor at 0% CPU and Disk usage.

So, Unity God, if you are out there, I beg you, I want to go to bed. Could you please just close the Editor? I don't know what are the consequences of force killing the process, and this one is a big project that I don't want to mess up.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    AlterMannn and BenniKo like this.
  19. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

So about that theory that it's being caused by 3rd party assets...

We had to go back to an older project that we worked on using 2018.4.6 and first off, being used to working using 2020 holy cow we noticed the difference immediately. Barring some really annoying issues (clicking on shader dropdowns and other editor elements, causing hangs lasting for several minutes) performance was so much better. My colleague then suggested we try to update to the latest LTS version (2020.3.2) and see if we noticed any difference and if the performance difference was caused by the project itself or the editor versions. Created a backup, deleted the Library folder just to make sure any difference in performance was not caused by some upgrading issues and after a (surprisingly) mostly painless upgrade we started working.

Boy, I did not expect such as massive difference. At first, some issues we had in 2018 seemed fixed which was nice. Hangs when clicking on shader dropdowns and etc seemed mostly gone. But then a host of other things started popping up. Sometimes it would take 20/30 minutes to enter Play Mode, sometimes it would much less. Sometimes the editor would get stuck on "Reloading.Assemblies" for another 30 minutes for absolutely no apparent reason. Saw a message saying unity was "importing" several prefabs, again for no reason since those prefabs were completely unrelated to the script I had just edited. Another 10 minutes wasted. Saving scripts and prefabs often takes 5/10 minutes or more when before it would take less than a minute. Remember those hangs on clicking on certain editor elements? New ones popped up and that's another dozens of minutes wasted doing nothing. The editor seems to take up pc resources a lot more for some reason too, making multi tasking harder. Performance in general seemed to worsen as time went on. And the list goes on.

We didn't import any assets or scripts or made any code changes whatsoever beyond what the upgrading process did (if it did anything at all), the only difference is literally the change from 2018 to 2020.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    tankorsmash likes this.
  20. VirtualPierogi

VirtualPierogi

Unity 2020.3.2f1
    still geting Holdon busy hang-ups
    upload_2021-4-1_15-18-22.png

21. BenniKo

BenniKo

What improved the situation a lot was deleting the library folder and restarting unity. It took a while to create all files again but I am seeing a lot less if those "waiting" popups.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  22. EvilDecision

EvilDecision

23. itsjustmeagain

itsjustmeagain

Following this thread hoping this will be fixed. It's very VERY frustrating. We are actually looking for other options than unity in our team. This issue is probably the most annoying blocking popup I've ever experienced. It's still there in 2020.3.2.f1 LTS in a new fresh test project. When exactly did this happen to Unity and why?

24. paulodgn

paulodgn

Also been following this thread. Also having the issues with the Hold On windows for several minutes on Play and Save. Its really frustrating when working in a project with a tight deadline. I have some hours where i spend more time waiting for the editor then actually working. Really hope you guys can fix this ASAP. Using Unity 2020.2.1f1

25. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

As others have wrote in this thread multiple times: please please please file bugs with details! The underlying cause is mostly likely "something" specific to your project (the template you use, some package you use, some setting, some code in the project) that ends up going "you know what I'll do some very long expensive work upon each Save". But we don't know which code causes that. One way to figure that out would be filing bugs for us. Another way would be using either Unity profiler or some 3rd party profiler (visual studio, vtune, superluminal, xcode instruments, ...) to profile unity while it's doing that "I'm busy" and see where time was spent, and then write about that here or in a bug report.

26. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

https://forum.unity.com/threads/application-tick-what-does-this-mean.920819/

Another thread with the Application.Tick pop up. This sometimes takes 1 minute to finish for me. If it happens once a day that's ok, but it happens whenever I edit script, enter\exit play mode or even edit prefabs. It adds up in a day. Sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 10 seconds.. it's hard to determine what is causing it.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 194947.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  27. Astha666

Astha666

Has someone found a solution?
    For me it started about a week to became nearly unresponsible with this Hold on message...
    I tried to delete the library folder, which made it more "stable" but nevertheless it happens almost every hour and the more the project grows the shorter the times became when it not happens. Sometimes it helps to close Visual Studio Community, but not every time. I've updated from 2020.2.7f1 to 2020.3.1f1to 2020.3.1f2 to 2020.3.1f3 in hope that it changes this bug, but nothing helped.
    I've read somewhere that odin inspector cause some trouble, and with the "new" (not anymore new) 3.0 version it will be fixed. Then I've updated odin but nothing.
    It's nearly impossible to work with Unity right now.
    So, please tell me someone has a solution =)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  28. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Did a test to see if the application tick could improve. No luck. :(
    • Updated to 2021.1.3f1
    • Deleted the entire Library folder and re-imported (Removed about 35+GB)
    I made a change to player.cs in prefab and application.tick
    Screenshot 2021-04-14 135929.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-14 175804.jpg
    NewCanvas2.jpg
    Is it true that Unity Collaborate is a potential cause? How do we block that with Windows firewall if necessary?

System specs
    • System Model ROG Zephyrus G15 GA502IV_GA502IV
    • OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    • Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    • System Type x64-based PC
    • Processor AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS with Radeon Graphics, 2900 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
    • Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    • Total Virtual Memory 27.4 GB
    • Available Physical Memory 8.57 GB
    • Page File Space 12.0 GB

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  29. imdashraful17

imdashraful17

Great update 2020.3 LTS. I hope in future updates, games built with it also delay 30 minutes like the editor too. And you will have to wait 30 minutes before playing a game built with Unity.

Hobodi likes this.
  30. Play2D

Play2D

+1 for the CONSTANT loading bars, in Unity ANY 202X.x.x version.
    Click a script file in the assets folder, a loading bar pops up. I don't even mean OPENING it, just CLICKING it.
    It's infuriating.

31. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug! What's most important to know is: exact unity version, and exact list of packages (and their exact versions) that are used in the project. Quite likely something in there causes a slowdown (i.e. some package), but hard to say without knowing which one.

32. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @Aras

We appreciate the help. Really we do. Unity is a great tool despite these flaws.

The challenge for myself , is that it's hard to pinpoint what the bug is when everything causes a "hold on" message. Maybe it's easier for new projects that are just starting out. It'll be easier to figure out when there's 1-2 scripts. But for myself with over 200+ scripts and numerous asset store plug-ins .. it's too time consuming.

I filed my bugs through the editor. Also I sent you guy my editor log via conversation.

With all the beta tests, how come the users didn't bring up this issue for 2020 and 2021? :oops:

33. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Do you have case numbers?

If my theory that "this is some package version that's causing it" is correct, then maybe during 2020/2021 betas that package version was not out yet, and/or most of the beta testers and internal QA were not using it.

34. x1998629x

x1998629x

problem still there,
    Unity 2020.3.3f1
    The processing bar stop but timer still going,
    Is it fine to kill process?

Attached Files:

35. psychicsoftware

psychicsoftware

It still happens a lot in 2020.3.2.. delays of 2 minutes or more at seemingly random times. Very bad for productivity.
    Unfortunately I can't downgrade my project to 2019 as the terrain format seems to have changed.

36. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @Aras

Here you go. I couldn't find the other one, so I filed another one. Case 1329449

It could be possible.. hopefully the bug report shows all the packages that were installed. I downgraded to 2020.3.3 and see if things are better.. if not I might have to keep downgrading until I find a version with less "holding on" :D

37. psychicsoftware

psychicsoftware

An update from me: I moved the project (making zero changes) to a different computer and the problem disappeared. The delays which were previously all over the place are gone now. The project was fine on my first computer when running in Unity 5.6.6, it's only when I moved to 2020 that it went bad. So this seems like some kind of hardware conflict? - most certainly not a conflict with any of my code or any 3rd party plugin.

My 2nd computer is slightly better but not much; and, it's not a case that things got slightly better - they changed from continuously stuttering and delaying for seconds or minutes, to running totally smooth.

Problem hardware:
    Alienware laptop with GeForce GTX 970M (3GB) and 16GB main RAM

No problem hardware:
    Custom build desktop with GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB) and 16GB main RAM

38. Havokki

Havokki

Does the computer with the problem have a different anti-virus software installed? I had some problems with Unity being extremely slow and it was due to F-Secure's active monitoring. I have now set it to ignore Unity and my project and everything has been working a lot better since then.

Note that my problems also started when I updated Unity to 2020.x. I couldn't repro the issue in older versions.

EDIT: I reported this in December, got a reply, but forgot to answer to it back then due to holidays. I now added more info there. Case number is 1293871.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  39. psychicsoftware

psychicsoftware

Good question. But no, I'm running Panda on both.

40. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Perhaps going down a version after upgrading isn't a good idea.
    Downgraded from 2021 -> 2020.3.4 -> 2020.2.1f1
    Screenshot 2021-04-16 234647.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-18 181054.jpg

Case ID: 1330051

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  41. KospY

KospY

We recently moved to 2020.3.3 since the LTS version released. The editor get stuck on different loading bar every hours.
    How could 2020.3 be called LTS? This is seriously impacting our workflow and we can't go back to 2019 as we need some 2020 features :(

As usual with many Unity bugs we can't report this as we need a repro project. It only happen in our project (and it's too big to send). What can we do? There is no logs and editor is locked so we can't check profiler.

A lot of developers have this issue, please fix asap, this is a major issue!

42. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Why? Projects are preferable but not required. If the project is too big, here's what would be useful, one of:
    - Copy your project, remove large things that hopefully are not related (Library folder, all the textures, all sounds etc.), report a bug with that, or
    - Report a bug describing your problem including link to this forum message, and attach your project Packages/manifest.json file, but not the rest of the project.

43. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Because bug reports without projects, for a somewhat nebulous issue are almost guaranteed to get a "I can't recreate the issue, I'm closing this" reply back from QA.

44. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It used to be more true in the past than it is today, or so I'm told. But also, that's why I'm saying to include link to the forum into the bug report too.

45. KospY

KospY

Thanks for replying to me :)

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure sending a bug report without a repro project would be ignored. I can try but I'm not optimistic.

Best is a repro project, but without knowing what is related it's basically shooting in the dark. Our project is around 100gb with multiple repositories, large things is about 90% of the project and removing them would probably fix the issue.

I will surely end up removing things randomly until it start working. I did that before for different Unity issues, it's a long and painful task, but without the issue being reproducible easily (I will need to do stuff until the editor hang) it would take weeks if even months to find what cause this to be able to send you only the part that cause the issue. And at this point, I'm not even sure that will work as like someone else say, we could get a "I can't recreate the issue, I'm closing this" (issue being random and maybe computer related).

I understand you need a way to reproduce the issue. But most devs want to work on their project instead of losing time trying to do repro projects. My guess is everyone is waiting other to do that, so that's why you often don't have any tickets created :rolleyes:

Anyway, what I'm asking is more of a clue about what this loading bars are doing. If I could pinpoint where the issue is it would help me to resolve this. Another big issue with Unity is many bug reports stay open for months. Reality is we can't wait Unity to resolve ticket, it simply take too long, so most of us are relying on workarounds to avoid being stuck.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  46. It is showing that Unity is doing some task.

That's the thing, if you guys, who are experiencing this issue (luckily or sadly, IDK, I don't), are waiting for someone to find out what's causing the hang, you will wait forever. Someone, who is experiencing the issue needs to run a profiler to find out where it is coming from. Both for yourselves and hopefully reporting back to Unity as well if it is actionable. I'm pretty sure you will waste more time waiting around cluelessly more than it would take to run a profiler and find out the root cause (probably).

And yes, I know Unity QA is annoying. I get my fair share "I couldn't reproduce your bug, closing it..." even for crash reports. But there is no other way to make things better.

47. KospY

KospY

I'm not waiting, I'm simply ask if anyone have an idea of where to look while I look at it, it could help to cut down time. Also Unity had to be informed in some way.
    Anyway how do you run a profiler if the editor hang? The "task" freeze the whole editor and we can't interact with anything.

48. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Is anyone else waiting 3 minutes for a prefab to save? :(
    Screenshot 2021-04-18 181054.jpg

Case ID: 1330074

49. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

50. KospY

KospY

Tried UIForETW but I'm not sure what I need to look in this traces o_O

Seem that the issue is rising overtime. At first I barely have any issue, now it's every 15min.
    This morning a got a new one that took 10 min to finish

Not sure it's related but I got this once the project opened:

I will try to remove my library folder and let it index the whole project again this night.

Edit: Oh god I closed Unity and restarted it and it does the "Refresh asset database" again :mad:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021