Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Thanks for the tip, sadly it didn't fix it for me.

Any news on this issue?

Whatever application unity is talking about must be tired after all this ticking. One hour and counting as we speak, and this is a daily occurrence, several times a day. A simple click anywhere could mean up to an hour like this.

Saying this impacts our productivity would be the understatement of the decade, Unity is quite literally costing us a fortune in man hours spent staring at the screen and not to mention other costs associated with missing deadlines. Needless to say this is all very, very frustrating.

2. TSCSimulation_AH

TSCSimulation_AH

Having exactly the same issue as the above, with about the same timescales. This is unworkable. It's anything I do. Example, I deleted a spotlight in the scene, 40 minutes. I made a 2-line code change, 45 minutes. I loaded the scene file, about 1.5 hours. It's horrible. Is 2021 any better?

wm-VR and Superjayjay like this.
  3. TSCSimulation_AH

TSCSimulation_AH

I've been waiting on this for an hour now, this is just opening Unity (the library folder was already built and such). This is silly.

Attached Files:

• qqq.png
      qqq.png
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
  4. markoal

markoal

Hello guys, here is one more case it gets stuck, hope it helps someone.
    So I the error as shown on the image in the attachment.

I have a scriptable object UIDefinition which contains some of the data I use for UI, key data is following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SingleRow(-1, "ColorType", "Color")]
    2. public UIColor[] Colors;
    4. [Serializable]
    5. public struct UIColor
    6. {
    7.     public UIColorType ColorType;
    8.     public Color Color;
    9. }
    When I remove the [SingleRow] attribute it works. So where is the problem?
    SingleRowAttribute script is the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class SingleRowAttribute : PropertyAttribute
    2. {
    3.     public string[] SerializedParamNames;
    4.     public bool[] EnabledLabelSerializedParams;
    6.     public SingleRowAttribute(params string[] paramNames)
    7.     {
    8.         SerializedParamNames = paramNames;
    9.         EnabledLabelSerializedParams = new bool[paramNames.Length];
    10.         for (int i = 0; i < SerializedParamNames.Length; i++)
    11.             EnabledLabelSerializedParams[i] = true;
    12.     }
    14.     public SingleRowAttribute(int lastVisibleLabelIndex, params string[] paramNames)
    15.     {
    16.         SerializedParamNames = paramNames;
    17.         EnabledLabelSerializedParams = new bool[paramNames.Length];
    18.         for (int i = 0; i < SerializedParamNames.Length; i++)
    19.             EnabledLabelSerializedParams[i] = lastVisibleLabelIndex >= i;
    20.     }
    21. }
    My Drawer, SingleRowAttributeDrawer looks like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [CustomPropertyDrawer(typeof(SingleRowAttribute))]
    2. public class SingleRowAttributeDrawer : PropertyDrawer
    3. {
    4.     private float _maxHeight = 0;
    5.     public override float GetPropertyHeight(SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    6.     {
    7.         return _maxHeight;
    8.     }
    10.     public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
    11.     {
    12.         label = EditorGUI.BeginProperty(position, label, property);
    14.         EditorGUI.indentLevel++;
    16.         SingleRowAttribute atr = attribute as SingleRowAttribute;
    17.         int totalParams = atr.SerializedParamNames.Length;
    18.         float partSize = position.width / totalParams;
    19.         for (int i = 0; i < totalParams; i++)
    20.         {
    21.             var prop = property.FindPropertyRelative(atr.SerializedParamNames[i]);
    23.             float height = EditorGUI.GetPropertyHeight(prop);
    24.             if (height > _maxHeight) _maxHeight = height;
    26.             if (atr.EnabledLabelSerializedParams[i])
    27.                 EditorGUI.PropertyField(new Rect(position.x + partSize * i, position.y, partSize, height), prop);
    28.             else
    29.                 EditorGUI.PropertyField(new Rect(position.x + partSize * i, position.y, partSize, height), prop, GUIContent.none);
    30.         }
    32.         EditorGUI.indentLevel--;
    33.         EditorGUI.EndProperty();
    34.     }
    35. }
    The script isn't much important to me since it only simplifies the display of simple structures, but somehow having this custom logic triggers some infinite loop in this new Unity (there wasn't any problem with this in 2019 LTS versions).

Attached Files:

valarnur likes this.
  5. valarnur

valarnur

Hey markoal, thank you. I noticed the more project grow bigger with scripts and scriptable objects the more hangs-up are present. I don't know if it is related to that. As I understand 2019.4 and 2020 are the same only in 2020 you see the ApplicationTick message.

markoal likes this.
  6. Baste

Baste

@Aras, there's some instances where this pops up where it shouldn't.

In particular, when I select "File->Save As", a "Hold On" window will pop up. It doesn't steal focus, but it's still a bit annoying. So ideally the hold on window should be able to detect that Unity is waiting for user input to save menus and similar.

This is in 2020.2, but since this is the thread about the feature, I put it here.

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Hmm it was not doing that for me, last time I checked. Can you file a bug?

8. valarnur

valarnur

Do you experience hang up HoldOn Application.Quit when saving the project and exiting Unity?

OpenfireGame likes this.
  9. svenneve

svenneve

Every bloody time, whether it is a brand new empty project or one of our bigger ones.

A huge project we started in pre 2018 all the way up to 2019.3 can simply not be worked in in 2020, if you can spend 4 hours of an 8 hour work day actually being productive in 2020, you can count yourself lucky with that project.

Same with our new project, started in 2020.1, so can't go back, but it's just one scene, the bare minimum of scripts (it's basically an experience on rails), no collab, plenty of build in packages disabled, and it is nothing but Application.WaistingYourTime and AssetDataBase.ImportingCrapIImported2SecondsAgo. Oh and Application.Quit does anything but quit the application, of all things.

I have no idea what is going on, but if our work wasn't so heavily mobile related lately these days I would switch (back) to UE4 in a heartbeat (sure, the UE4 editor might be crashy at times, but at least it is a whole lot more predictable, with a toolset build by developers that actually eat their own dog food)

Superjayjay likes this.
  10. Baste

Baste

Well dammit, it's not happening now. For sure happened 3-4 times in a row yesterday before I made the post, but not seeing it now. Will see if I can make it happen again.

11. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

We're in a similar boat and I hate a lot of things about UE. If our current project wasn't so far off we would have switched engines already, and the only reason why we'd switch is literally because the unity editor is borderline unusable, which shows just how utterly stupid this whole situation is. The UE editor is crap but at least it works.

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So for what it's worth... While I was getting this a lot in betas and earlier versions (you can find me complaining a lot in the first page of this thread), I am not getting the pop up at all in 2020.2, on the same pretty slow Mac machine.

The thing that changed since last time I tried it (besides the difference in Unity versions), is that I got completely rid of Collaborate.

13. Mehrdad995

Mehrdad995

This annoying message pops up most of the time even when I move/rotate/scale the default plane!!!
    Can you believe it?
    I have to wait for a couple of seconds even after rotating the default plane?
    it's completely breaking the workflow.

Attached Files:

14. Baste

Baste

Sounds like some code's running when you do that. Try attaching an editor profiler and see what's causing the slowdown.

15. Mehrdad995

Mehrdad995

What about switching from orthographic to perspective in the scene view?
    that took over 1 minute to complete and it's a fresh animation project which only has two scripts (yet) and they were both diactivated.
    if you take a closer look even the camera projection indicator is stuck between perspective and orthographic :D
    It's the second time I make a mistake by not using an LTS version but never thought that .f (final) versions would be this buggy :/

Attached Files:

16. Baste

Baste

Right, but we have a big Unity game and doing any of the things you describe are instant, so it's not something that just happens always.

You should either
    a) identify what's going wrong by profiling, so you can complain about the right thing or
    b) send a bug report to Unity with your entire project so they can repro and figure out what's wrong.

17. Mehrdad995

Mehrdad995

The point is that it's not reproducible,
    it happens randomly and once in a while (like 1 in 10-20 interactions)
    but I'll give profiler a go, thanks for that ;)

18. unityPashok

unityPashok

Before this progress bar, Unity was working faster

19. norman_lnh

norman_lnh

me too. i just click shader select bar.and now , i need see the progress "Hold on busy for XX:XX",InspectorWindow.MouseDown. yes.it is just a mouseDown.

Attached Files:

• aaa.png
      aaa.png
      File size:
      6 KB
      Views:
  20. DGordon

DGordon

Flagging that I keep having to manually kill Unity in the task bar because it keeps hanging on things like Application.Reload (and others) for 5+min ... I literally am not making any changes. This happened between playing the game, stopping, and trying to replay. MAYBE I hit save without thinking when there were no changes made.

This has been very consistent now, every hour Im restarting multiple times, losing probably 1/4 of each hour if I'm lucky.

Unity 2020.2.1f1.

I've been using unity for years, and I've never really seen it this bad until recently.

21. LIVRTech

LIVRTech

yes I have this currently 2020.2.3f1 unity is unusable. I was previously on same version as DGordon but updated this morning to see if it would help at all.

Any thoughts of how to get up and running again?

22. mpeter_nmy

mpeter_nmy

i can confirm this behaviour. Opening the shader dropdown is causing the dialog all the times since updating from 2020.2.2 -> 2020.2.3. It's getting even more strange. I switched back to 2020.2.2 and it's still happening. I have to add that i am using URP. I will sort out some installed packages to make the circle a bit closer.

Edit:

After upgrading Universal Renderpipeline Package from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1 at least the problem situation with the shader dropdown is gone. Can't tell that for the rest of situations which has been discussed over in this thread.
    @norman_lnh Maye you could check that out on your side :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  23. OpenfireGame

OpenfireGame

Can happen when click any editor button, For example: the Play button, Ctrl+S. Unity quality control sucks
    • It seems to Refresh Asset Database every time
    • High Disk Usage
    • Unity 2020.2.3
    • URP 10.3.1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  24. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Everyone above: it's not the progress bar that's the problem. The problem, rightfully pointed out by the progress bar, is that the editor gets unresponsive because it's busy "doing something". Now, that "something" could be a million different things.

Could be unity editor itself doing something strange (in which case, we should absolutely fix it! but need exact details how to reproduce it, in a form of a bug report).

Could be one of unity packages doing something strange, e.g. they hook into "upon importing any asset, call me and I'm gonna do something", and that something turns out to be slow. Again, for this to get fixed would need details in a form of a bug report.

Could be your own project code, or some 3rd party code you got from somewhere, doing the above thing. Maybe it has an OnPostProcessAllAssets callback, and thus gets called on any asset import, and there does something expensive?

and so on. One way to look into this is to see if anything suspicious is printed at the end of the editor log while this "strange stall" is happening. Another could be taking a process minidump (via windows task manager), opening that with visual studio and checking what the editor was busy doing at that time. Another could be attaching a 3rd party profiler (e.g. visual studio) to the editor and profiling what it's doing during the stall.

Again -- the progress bar is not the culprit, it just points out an unresponsive editor. Unresponsive editor is the problem, but that might be caused by a million different things, not all of them are even "bugs" or "problems in unity" though.

MartinTilo likes this.
  25. Better-Choice

Better-Choice

It's show stopper guys. Hope you understand it. I have some sort of scene builder in my project. And custom editor for it with 'build' button. So. It worked well with 2020.1.4. I have another project on 2019.4.3 and I have upgraded it up to 2020.2.2. So the interesting things followed this upgrade. The first project (2020.1.4) became unresponsible. 'Build' button hanged up the editor. So Unity upgrade in one project affected another project with another Unity version :)) Guess what happened after upgrade both projects to 2020.2.2. Absolutly nothing - you guessed well :) So I'm watching this popups for several hours and close editor via task manager.

26. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

So there's two things that can be done:
    1) look into what's taking time (see my message right above) with a 3rd party profiling tool. And then depending on what is taking time (could be unity bug, in which case report a bug, or could be some bug in your project code, in which case fix code), or
    2) report a bug with that project, so we can do step 1) on our side.

27. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Sounds like some global cache got into a disarray. Is your build button maybe using the same (Temporary?) folder for intermediate results in both projects, or EditorPrefs? Otherwise:
    Before each of these steps, make a backup copy. Try after each step if it is resolved. If it is, please file a bug report with the back up data so that we can solve this for the next person.

1. Try resetting the window layout,
    2. Clear the GI cache folder
    3. and package cache
    4. and the library folder of both projects.
    If that doesn't help, follow the advice in Aras's last two posts.

28. erdalt

erdalt

this is not a minor bug. sometimes it takes 2-10 seconds even I just click inspector. as if I was working on a low-config pc. (i didn't have any performance issue in 2019.x versions) This problem occurs even in the empty unity project. It seems the issue is not caused by a user-based or any 3rd party package in the project.

29. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Seriously, Unity should add the option to submit a call stack directly from the busy popup for analysis, as well as collecting performance metrics automatically. This 90's style manual bug reporting approach can't keep up with this trainwreck.

30. norman_lnh

norman_lnh

oh,what can i say.it is gone After upgrading Universal Renderpipeline Package from 10.2.2 to 10.3.1.thank you very mach

31. unity_Gl8yIEOvJivCNA

unity_Gl8yIEOvJivCNA

I had Application.Message when tryed to open Visual Studio'19. I discover resolution, but it's strongly depends on what your pc currently running. My photoshop was opened while I was doing Nvidia update, then photoshop just stuck unresponsive. So I let it be (hoping it'll get his mind back) and launched unity project. After trying to open any script through unity console/hierarch I got endless Application.Message. After reinstalling VS the problem didn't dissapear. After killing unity through task manager, I noticed that photoshop is still unresponsive all the time. So I decided to kick him out TM. Then I got oppened all my requested code files immediately after doing this. So, this could be key, or not
    Hope it helps someone

32. Better-Choice

Better-Choice

@Aras , @MartinTilo thanks for the response. You know, it seems like it was my fault actually. Sorry guys :) I added some underestimately heavy stuff to the scene builder and forgot about it. And it killed whole preformance. Anyway it is hard to understand what is actually going on when console messages appear all togeher just when the whole operation is finished. If the popup progress panel does not block console output it would be nice. :) I actually like Unity. It is great! Thank you for your work!

MartinTilo likes this.
  33. Baste

Baste

The console being responsive and updating when Unity's main thread is spinning on a task would be a fantastic improvement. It also sounds really hard to implement!

34. Vaupell

Vaupell

busy for 10 minuttes, because of selecting all gameobjects in the hierarchy..

ITs turning into a joke. 2020.2.2f1.

upload_2021-2-20_16-7-22.png

amit-chai likes this.
  35. sSuite

sSuite

Early in this thread someone asked the question "is it worth spending six months to fix this one problem?" The answer is that it makes the editor so unusable that it would be worth fixing if it required ten years and 100 new hires. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but this is program-destroying-level stuff. It's such a nightmare. I have a loading bar in front of my face probably 20% of the time, and the rest of my team says the same thing -- eating up 20% of our studio's day every day is ludicrous. Using Unity is becoming a liability.

Open a prefab? 2 minute loading bar.
    Move a UI window? 2 minute loading bar.
    Twirl down a component in the inspector? 2 minute loading bar.
    Select a gameobject?
    Turn the camera?
    Tweak a value?

It's seriously out of control. I can't do my job.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  36. Baste

Baste

Has anyone that has any of these issues made any attempt whatsoever at finding out what's going on?

It doesn't happen for us on two rather large game projects, both on 2020.2.x, so it's something about your configuration or scripts that are causing this. Unity might not have the best track record when it comes to making the best priorities, but they wouldn't just let 2 minute prefab open times slide.

Attach the profiler, editor mode, record, do a thing that takes a while, unrecord, look at what the profiler says.

SugoiDev, JoNax97 and MartinTilo like this.
  37. sSuite

sSuite

Yep. The profiler says the same thing as the popup. Repaint, application.tick, etc. I'm not trying to insist that this is an issue that everyone is experiencing -- obviously that is not the case. Clearly something is unique about the setups of the people who are running into this, and I'm happy to help try to debug what that is. But you've got 5 pages of people over the course of a year attempting to figure out what's going on right in front of you. I have no animosity for Unity, but let's be honest; 2 minute loading bars all over the place are far from the most egregious thing that's made it to release. And lots of folks here are reporting hour+ waits. I seem to be pretty lucky.

38. Baste

Baste

Try deep profiling! That'd tell you what's happening inside Application tick. should've said that in my first post!

It'll cause the 2 minute spike to take at least twice as long, so waiting to turn off record is a pain, but it's worthwhile.

39. sSuite

sSuite

Good idea! Just gave this a shot, and the profiler drained all my memory and crashed before I could look at the results, lol. Tried it a few times & the closest I got to an answer is that maybe it's related to drawing gizmos -- but since that was the only thing I could capture without a crash, I have a hunch that it's not the real culprit. It's also been less dramatic today than it was yesterday. It's been rough since we upgraded the project to 2020, but it's not consistently quite so bad. Although that just makes it more frustrating when it starts acting up again! Restarting Unity doesn't reliably fix it, either. I ran into a particular problem a couple of days ago where opening a prefab would hit me with a ~minute long loading bar, then freeze for a moment and start a new loading bar, ad infinitum. The only way to fix it was to discard the changes to the prefab -- I have no idea what could have been the culprit there, though. It's possible that an object in the prefab had a missing script on it, but that doesn't usually flame out quite like this. That could be an unrelated issue but it seems worth mentioning.

40. Baste

Baste

@MartinTilo and @alexeyzakharov are people that I know that's working on the profiler. Maybe they have insight in how to do a snapshot of what's going on without running out of memory.

41. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    Which exact 2020 version did that happen on, and if it's 2020.2.2f1 (i.e. the latest supported patch version) could you please report the crash when the crash reporter comes up after it happens or on restarting the editor via Help > Report A Bug, and ping me the issue ID, so that we can have a look at the call stack for this? The Profiler shouldn't ever crash out of Memory. I mean, it probably can in some circumstances that we haven't ensures against yet but that's not an expected feature* and we'd want to fix it.

(it not crashing out of memory on the other hand, is. We've taken steps to ensure it won't by discarding memory if it would otherwise run out of it over the last year. Looks like we missed something)

42. adamgolden

adamgolden

I closed 2021.2.0a5 last night (or clicked close anyway), this morning:
    CleanupMono.jpg
    I figured it's worth a mention as I can't recall that happening before 0a5 in any 202x release.

Edit: last night as in this afternoon, just got up as in some time before 9pm :rolleyes: ..didn't notice it was PM, ..that's just how I roll :cool:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    unity_0jPnOMHwSlxCYw likes this.
  43. valarnur

valarnur

2020.1 has less of these messages occur than 2021.1b. Could you reduce and remove the waiting time of these messages altogether toward 2021.1.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  44. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I've aded the progress bar that tells "whelp, unity is busy", I guess I'll pack my things now, see ya!

That said. The progress bar just tells Unity is doing something. The actual reason is why Unity is doing something. In 99% of cases I've seen, random stuff like "oh whenever I click something, Unity stalls" is caused by something in the project. Some package, some asset store extension, your own scripts, whatever; anything could register as a "hey call me whenever something happens" C# callback and do expensive things.

What would help (besides firing me), is if you could either file a bug, or use a 3rd party profiling tool (Visual Studio, Xcode Instruments, VTune, ...) to profile Unity process while these stalls happen, and report here or in a bug report on what Unity was doing while it was busy. Might reveal that it's something in your own project too.

45. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Does disabling the progress bar popup in the preferences ("Busy Progress Delay" setting), i.e. making it a real high value, fix the stalls?

46. Deozaan

Deozaan

How is this guy not instantly banned?

Not too long ago in another thread, someone kept asking about a feature or bugfix coming in an upcoming version of Unity. His question was answered multiple times but he still seemed to not understand. So I tried to be helpful and explained to him how Unity's version numbering works. In the process, I asked a question which a moderator chose to interpret as me asking with the worst intentions (i.e. condescendingly) and I was promptly scolded by said moderator and warned that such behavior was not welcome.

Now in this thread we have someone blatantly and repeatedly making personal attacks to multiple people and after multiple responses from a moderator and still no change in behavior, he has not been warned or even politely asked to tone it down? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that he won't tone it down, hence my opening question, but it would be nice to see the site rules being enforced more evenly.

But that's like, just my opinion, man.

47. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The delay after which the message appears can be set in preferences ("Busy Progress Delay" setting). However the actual problem is that the editor stalls, and why it stalls would be good to figure out. One guess is that people experiencing this are probably using some sort of package that causes the stalls, but hard to say which one without having bug reports or at least info about the packages (and their versions) that you use.

48. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Apologies for the delay there. I came to my desk this morning to find multiple notifications from staff and made sure to handle this first. I've deleted the posts and permanently banned the user.

mtschoen and MileyUnity like this.
  49. enzoravo

enzoravo

unity is holding me, on the loading project.

i remove the old version 2020.2.2 and installed the latest one, but for me surprise when i tried to load the project the same "hold on" message.

i close my project last night and it was working fine, no errors or weird message was shown when i had closed the project, today when i tried to open it again, this shows up.

also i tried erasing all the library folder, but it can't open the editor window.

i have waited more than 1 hour and a half without any success.

any help will be very useful.

thanks in advance.

upload_2021-3-2_19-38-39.png

miracalious and median like this.
  50. wimachtendink

wimachtendink

like 10 times an hour I have to wait 2+ minutes for "Application.ExecuteMenuItem" when I just click on gameobjects, buttons, whatever else.

It's incredibly frustrating

miracalious and median like this.