Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. sama-van

sama-van

Something that helped me a lot to fix that issue each time I upgrade Unity is to kill the Library folder to the root.
    Dunno, maybe it loops on something or process file which it shouldn't who know...
    But yes at some point I noted that if the waiting is too long, I just kill that folder once week, take a 5 min cofe and it's back to normal...

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Please submit a bug report with a minimal reproduction project if you're able to reproduce this issue.

3. drallcom3

drallcom3

Omg, setting it to 0.1s (I'd like 0s) makes Unity feel so much more responsive.

hard_code likes this.
  4. imaewyn

imaewyn

After changing version 2020 a017 to b1.0b8 scripts refreshing become too long for the same project, even with big automatic delay

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Ok, so the progress bar shows that something got slower (script recompile? domain reload? etc.) between these versions. Now someone needs to figure out what exactly, and why -- could you file a bug? I don't know what has changed; maybe something became slower in some C# compiler, maybe some package got larger, maybe something else.

6. imaewyn

imaewyn

It happend after changing version. But when I has worked several hours my lags is gone. Maybe something was cashed, A don't know. Now I have not problem. But I chose to greatly increase automatic delay.

7. MarconiusDMM

MarconiusDMM

I get Application.TickSceneTracker for a good 5-10s every time I launch into play mode, and this is with a fairly simple ECS project.
    No idea what might be causing it, I literally cannot find any info on this process. Entity or Physics loading, maybe?

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

One way would be using Unity's profiler. Another way would be using any native code profiler (e.g. Visual Studio, VTune, Very Sleepy, Subliminal etc. on Windows; Xcode Instruments on Mac, etc.). And in both cases see what does the profiler say.

MartinTilo likes this.
  9. Dabartos

Dabartos

when I edit a line in one script in editor I wait for 5 minutes for unity to recompile. My project isn't even that big (< 30 scripts). It's ridiculous.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug?

11. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

This is something we noticed too. Entering playmode got substantially slower going from 2019.3 to 2020.1 (from 7s to 17s). The slowdown is of course is unrelated to the popup window but it makes it more visible. In our case the slowdown is because of the sprite atlas manager refreshing the whole project every time I hit the play button even when doing so repeatedly without any change to the project which is probably a asset manager bug.

We already filed a bug report (Case 1243023), but the fixes they made didn't make it any better for us. I think the new changes in 2020.1 is making things a lot slower for bigger projects like ours, which is really hard to send as a repro to Unity unless we get a cloud access. I'm starting to think that one of the UI/2D packages may be the culprit here by clearing the sprite cache constantly. I'll try to send a full project repro once more.

12. DajStudio

DajStudio

it's real annoynig. Whatever i do - "Hold on"

Deactivate object on scene in edit mode - upload_2020-6-4_20-40-55.png

mattvnr likes this.
  13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Checking for changes is a Collaborate thing though and it had a dialogue before this change.

14. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yeah, "Checking for changes" is Collaborate doing whatever Collaborate does. Sounds like a but in Collaborate to me, please file it!

15. DajStudio

DajStudio

Thank for your respones, but Collaborate not install :)
    How about "Hold on" in play mode when load Scene?

upload_2020-6-5_14-53-52.png

16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It takes 14 minutes to load a scene, while the game is running, in your project? :eek: Was this always like that, or is this new to 2020?

17. Baste

Baste

Might be this collab bug where it turned itself on again after you turned it off.

Isn't Collaborate itself just a bug to begin with? Do you think we could file a bug report that's essentially "Unity is still spending time and money on Collaborate, there's a bug in your product managers somewhere"?

18. Deozaan

Deozaan

Doesn't the Unity Editor have analytics to get a better idea of how developers use it? If so, I think the real question here is, does this new feature send analytics reports back to Unity so they can find out where and why the editor keeps us waiting so long and/or so frequently?

Ramobo and Peter77 like this.
  19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The bigger bug is that it's part of a service that they're daring to ask money for.

20. beheadedwarrior

beheadedwarrior

upload_2020-7-26_11-37-59.png

Whoever added this to unity needs to be demoted to customer. Blank project with no code and no assets in the scene and it takes over 6 mins to enter play mode? I know what engine I won't be using for this project.

FellowPlayer123 and mattvnr like this.
  21. probbins

probbins

I'm running into similar issues as above with the Application.Reload taking forever to the point I kill the executable via task manager.

Any idea what is causing it?

22. KiddUniverse

KiddUniverse

Seeing this message constantly, and the fact that it has a timer and is constantly reminding me of the actual amount of time i'm wasting waiting for it is bothersome.

I thought 2019.3 was fairly fast, minimal bugs, on par with what I've experienced up from 2018, but then the LTS came along and it crashed left and right, and 2020.1 is just so slow. I remember reading that it was supposed to run faster than previous versions, but this has not been my experience.

It might have something to do with running the URP, but it's out of preview and the word is that the built in renderer will be on its way towards deprecation eventually. I thought the URP would be on par with the previous version's speed, but maybe not.

23. beheadedwarrior

beheadedwarrior

Its not the urp don't use it in my project, I was thinking maybe DOTS was causing it, are you using it?

24. taylank

taylank

I downloaded 2020.1.0f1 today and gave it a try. I'm encountering this issue a lot, with the simplest of things. As of this writing I've been waiting for Application.UpdateScene for more than 5 minutes now, with that "Hold on" window in my face. All it took was clicking the color picker in the inspector during play mode.

I think it's hilarious you guys have added this dialog feature just in time for a spectacularly unresponsive editor version.

I don't have DOTS or URP.

John_Leorid likes this.
  25. KiddUniverse

KiddUniverse

no, no dots here.

26. rhall4

rhall4

This is destroying me. Literally anything I do now, especially while game testing, prompts a 10-20+ second delay message. My CPU,memory and disk usage has also risen way above where it was previously while play testing.

mnievas likes this.
  27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Everybody who experience significant delays with the latest Unity version (2020.x), please submit a bug-report as described in this document: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Unity staff asked for reports (link, link) and if we, the community, don't submit those reports, they probably can't fix them. Posting in this forum thread will not cause the issue to disappear, unfortunately.

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  28. Morphus74

Morphus74

upload_2020-7-30_10-52-58.png

On a simple scene... only way to fix it, is to kill UNITY and restart on 2020.1. So the bug is not that dialog, it's why is unity frozen...

The UI should ideally never freeze, but if the game is stuck in a infinite loop or any problem, you can't event hit the "play button" to stop it :( like at the moment, no idea what it's stuck on, I hit play, it started, I see the game, then popup appear. and that's it... nothing else... been 8:42 now.

RoyS likes this.
  29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That may be true, but the responsibility falls on Unity. Counting on the community for bug reports should be a bonus on top of an already very good in-house bug finding and fixing solution, and not the only way bugs get fixed.

Plus the whole attitude of "well, this bug report is not about something instantly reproducible, therefore we can't bother to attempt to fix it", after a community member has already wasted their time submitting a bug report, in order to improve Unity's product, is frankly insulting.

With that said, I wish you all good luck with these issues. I'm withdrawing from the forums for a while, getting pissed off all the time is not good for the soul, and I'm already getting angry just using Unity. I need less Unity in my life, not more.

LooperVFX, daRedLoCo, Ramobo and 2 others like this.
  30. taylank

taylank

Yeahh I'm gonna say no to that, like @AcidArrow. We're not talking about some exotic bug on an alpha release here, this is a major release. A casual, not totally incompetent QA effort should have flagged this problem. It's really disheartening to see the quality of Unity's releases constantly going down.

Ruslank100 and Ramobo like this.
  31. Rod-RACMEDIA

Rod-RACMEDIA

Same here please help,is there any fix for this?

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

Not sure if my case will ever be fixed. I noticed a new popup which shows up with the debugger attachment. It clearly states that when you add a debugger everything slows down (and it does by factors from what I noticed). So I always click I want to debug this session only. After I restart Unity everything is fast again.

At least this popup now states what Unity does instead of appearing frozen, so in that way it's helpful now.

33. Baste

Baste

Unity used to always run in debug mode, so if it's performing worse in debug mode in 2020.1 than in 2019.4, that's a regression.

LeonhardP, JoNax97 and Peter77 like this.
  34. mherbold

mherbold

I am experiencing something really bad -

I posted about it here in it's own thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/application-updatescene-when-modifying-textures.944113/

But the gist of it is that every time I dynamically update a texture map (SetPixels or GetRawTextureData) I get this "Hold on (busy...)" pop up. In my game I am dynamically updating the texture map every frame (audio FFT graph) and this "Hold on" pop up NEVER goes away... I effectively cannot exit play mode or interact with the editor UI in any way, ever. I can only end task on Unity via the windows task manager. The message at the bottom says "Application.UpdateScene"... but those texture maps that I created via a scripts have not been placed in the scene (yet).

This makes real time dynamic texture maps completely unusable in Unity. I think I am having two separate issues happening - (1) the dynamic texture maps causing Application.UpdateScene, and (2) the new pop-up effectively stopping me from interacting with the UI and not being able to do anything (like exit play mode), forever. There needs to be something like an "exit play mode" button on the pop up so we can stop the game.

35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Here's the popup I was referring to:

db.png

Maybe someone who has severe slow-down can check if that is the cause for the long running progress popup?

36. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

The problem is:

Silly_Rollo likes this.
  37. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

To reiterate on what @Peter77 said: if your project or the Editor is running slower with 2020.1 compared to previous versions, please submit bug reports, ideally with reproduction projects. Chances are that you're hitting bugs specific to your projects, setups and use cases rather than universal ones so it might be a while until someone else runs into the same issue and reports it.

MartinTilo, Rowlan and Peter77 like this.
  38. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

39. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Peter77 likes this.
  40. DevelUnity

DevelUnity

Logged in just to write to you.
    Unity developers, I understand that you are hardly Junior.
    But please tell me why you are not using multithreading?
    Reactive programming?
    MVP?
    RX?
    Hold on it is 2012.
    It's already 2020 in the yard.
    Why is the logic of Unity made in such a way that the project is loaded by copying it into the current project. Things like libraries downloaded from Assets?
    Why can't you immediately go to the folder where the assets are located?
    This will save you a lot of time.
    As an experienced developer in Java, I don't understand you, I just don't understand ...
    Answer me please
    And sorry for my broken english

FlavioIT likes this.
  41. MrD69

MrD69

Is this supposed to be a professionally built IDE made by a team of highly skilled coders and QA testers????? Cause it seems to me like a buggy AF alpha version built by 1 guy in his mothers basement!
    How is that Unity 2020.1.3 is so unusable I can't even file a bug report? I guess I need to file a bug report for the fact that I can't even file a bug report. The process has been "packaging" the report for 30 minutes and its stuck at 0%. REALLY!?
    You can't send a single paragraph of text and 1 image any faster then that? Internet was faster then that 30 years ago.
    The original bug I tried filing was the fact that I can't even change the build settings. You can read the details in the details of box of this broken bug report form.

Attached Files:

42. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unfortunately you blurred out what's attached to the report. Unity adds the entire project folder, incl. Library, etc afaik, to the bug-report on default. This can be hundreds of GB depending on project size and while Unity is creating "a zip file" of your entire project folder, it shows 0%.

Is it good? No. But it's most likely not going to change anything soon. If you want to submit a project bigger than a few hundred MB, I recommend this approach instead:
    "Zip" the Unity project folder, either as a single huge file or multiple smaller files. 7zip for example supports file splitting.
    1. Submit a bug-report without the actual project and ask their QA for a password protected owncloud link. Tell them the actual size of the zip file you need to upload, plus a few MB wiggle-room. The bug-report needs to have full information on how to reproduce the issue already.
    2. Ask them not to reply with the password in the bug-report, but to send it directly to your email address.
    3. Post the bug-report case number in this thread for Unity to pick up (post the number only, not the actual link).
    4. Upload project, the "zip" file(s), to the password protected owncloud location.
    5. Add a note to the bug-report, that you uploaded the project once it has successfully finished.
    6. Wait for them to fix the issue.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    DeoSsin and FlavioIT like this.
  43. Aladine

Aladine

200.1.3f1
    A scene with 7 low poly objects, a capsul, directional light, Cinemachine and PostProcess v2, takes up to ~2minutes to enter "Play Mode" .. and exiting playmode is not smooth either,
    am going back to 2018.4, seems to be the truly last stable version so far.

44. grofie

grofie

I managed to create a test project reproducing a problem with compiling times rising with each compile and successfully upload a bug report for it. Here is a small section from my report:

I understand with the new asset pipeline and the new package manager integration the engine got slower in general, but I am pretty sure there is another issue, properly a leak somewhere.

*What happened*
    We now need to regularly restart Unity since the compiling and refreshing takes longer everytime Unity compiled. This goes up to a point, where it takes minutes to refresh the engine.

*How to reproduce*
    I made a couple of tests and ended up building my own test project which demonstrates this behaviour. To start the slow down, open the editor window over FlowFire -> Slow Down. After pressing the 'Start' button the script will continually change another script in the project and measures the time needed for refreshing and recompiling.

On my work PC (AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor, 32768MB RAM), each time the system compiles the total duration goes up - slowly but steady. After 400 runs the compile time rised from 1 second to over 10 seconds. And this is with a totally empty project! Our real productive project is much bigger, so the durations are much higher and the system slows down faster. Of course there is some fluctuation, specially at the beginning, so you need to run it for a little while.

Please vote for it ;):

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1274461

The test project can be downloaded here: https://gofile.io/d/RunjQA

45. mnievas

mnievas

OK.. I dont know if this was a coincidence. but I REMOVE the UNITY COLLABORATE Package and all popup messages disapear.. Now I can Work SMOOTHLY on the Editor without that annoy popup every 2 sec.

Aladine, MasoInar and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  46. Aladine

Aladine

ahh the good old collaborate :)
    useless for any project that has more than 2 persons working on it,
    but its the perfect utility to completely ruin your workflow, and this wouldn't be the first time.

(sorry for being harsh on the collaborate team, but, that thing is broken guys xD)

47. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

I'm struggling with this issue 3 days ago, but in my case it's worst. Every time I change as single line of any script and save it, unity crashes.

It started when I upgrade from 2019.2 to 2019.4.9(LTS). I have tried every day to file a bug but my project it's almost 10 GB. I have tried zip it but never upload the report and the Repro Project Wizard & Stripping tools repositories are down.

48. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Here is my approach to submit large projects to Unity:

"Zip" the Unity project folder, either as a single huge file or multiple smaller files. 7zip for example supports file splitting.
    1. Submit a bug-report without the actual project and ask their QA for a password protected owncloud link. Tell them the actual size of the zip file you need to upload, plus a few MB wiggle-room. The bug-report needs to have full information on how to reproduce the issue already.
    2. Ask them not to reply with the password in the bug-report, but to send it directly to your email address.
    3. Post the bug-report case number in this thread for Unity to pick up (post the number only, not the actual link).
    4. Upload project, the "zip" file(s), to the password protected owncloud location.
    5. Add a note to the bug-report, that you uploaded the project once it has successfully finished.
    6. Wait for them to fix the issue.

49. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

Thank You QA Jesus!!!, I'll give it a try

Peter77 likes this.
  50. float

float

I am currently looking at a blocking window that says Application.Message (Hold on, busy for >40Min.).
    CPU is running at 80%. It appreared after Unity (2020.1.1f1) tried to compile a shader.

Just wanted to report that.

median likes this.