Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Bmco

Bmco

I saw this in another thread. It fixed my "Recompiling Script Assemblies..." problem. Just thought I'd share here...

Using 2021.3.6f1. This worked for me. I was at 20-60 and am now back down 3-8ish. I believe it's due to the Auto-Refresh (when you click on the Editor Window). Instead, you can manually reload them (Ctlr+R).

FernandoMK likes this.
  2. Bmco

Bmco

As a follow up, I figured out that my company's IT department has ratcheted up Windows Defender Settings. My longest wait time was 20-60 seconds...Unity was responsible for the first 20, but the Windows Defender Process called "Anti-Malware Exectuable" aka (MsMnEng.exe) was essentially blocking Unity's thread until it inspected the file changes.

It doesn't occur after ever script change, maybe every 5 (or if 10+ minutes have passed). I'm working with my IT team to see how to exempt. Exempting Unity.exe doesn't seem to stop it (or the project folder). I'll update as I learn more.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Was the progress delay setting removed from 2023? Why?

4. itsjustmeagain

itsjustmeagain

hold-on.gif

Please hold on in Unity 2020-2023.. Latest known working Unity 2019.3? WTF Happened? I think "new" Unity developers doesn't know what I'm talking about because they haven't experienced Unity prior 2020.

5. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

Unity usually crashed when it's taking this long without showing any actual tasks or progress.

6. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hi @itsjustmeagain , can you follow this guide an paste a picture of the stack trace?
    We've been able to track down a number of issues with the editor being stuck for a long time using this approach.

itsjustmeagain likes this.
  7. altepTest

altepTest

what were the causes?

8. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hi @altepTest,

The causes tend to be a bit broad, but here are a times we've used it as a starting point to diagnose problems with the Editor:
    So, at the very least its a starting point into letting us look into why where things are going wrong and the editor is getting stuck.

itsjustmeagain and mahdi_jeddi like this.
  9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Why is the busy progress delay setting missing on macs? (or is it somewhere else? or is it tied to a package somehow?)

2020.3.48f1

2021.3.25f1

2022.2.20f1

2023.1.0b17

2023.2.0a15

10. ridhaadel

ridhaadel

halo. please help me. im using unity 2021.3.1f1
    I'm working on my final project and this is my problem now, please give me a solution. thankyou upload_2023-7-17_15-50-48.png

11. bugfinders

bugfinders

wait it out, there isnt a lot of choice. lots of things slow it down, fips, av, life, colour of underwear (ok i guess its a joke but tbh it seems as good a reason as not)

12. DiGiaCom-Tech

DiGiaCom-Tech

Just started a new URP project in 2022.3.12f1 yesterday, added ProBuilder, a low poly asset pack, and a couple tool assets (a tiny project) so I could play around with the models and do some prototyping and then this happened. I've had to rebuild the project twice now (I'm on my third one now), have tried all of the recommendations above (deleting folders & changing settings) and this MAJOR 90+ second "Hold On..." BUG every time I click something just keeps coming back.

I can't imagine anyone with a LARGE project hitting this roadblock and having rebuild their project repeatedly. I can't imagine Unity telling us to debug their application for them, especially after all the time and $$$ we've spent maintaining licenses & subscriptions for all these years.

Is there a fix for this? Did I miss something? Or are we just going to have to sit around and wait for a proper fix?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  13. bugfinders

bugfinders

ive seen probilder on a big project and it didnt kill it, so it depends of course what is killing it for you.. My laptop keeps farting its hard disk, it went >24 hours after i reseated the disk without farting, i had hopes.. nope.. fart like a man who ate 8 tins of beans..

14. AlterMannn

AlterMannn

I built a new pc because of this "Hold on" popup and yeah there is no annoying popup anymore even with working 70 GB project.

bugfinders likes this.
  15. Bmco

Bmco

16. RoyBarina

RoyBarina

Bmco and bugfinders like this.
  17. StayThirsty

StayThirsty

bugfinders likes this.
  18. cimentela

cimentela

upload_2024-2-11_13-24-26.png i think i have the time record.......

armaan8014 and bugfinders like this.
  19. bugfinders

bugfinders

You sure beat me, i would have rebooted before then

20. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

Unity_GwdV0vpdfA.png
    I'm pretty sure I could have left this one running for days.. just chewing cpu doing nothing.... this was on 2023.3