Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. BMayzak

BMayzak

Thanks idavida; is there a more recent version of this bug reported somewhere? I just noticed this is in an archived Beta 2020.1 forum; not sure how much visibility this thread gets

EasyPK likes this.
  2. altepTest

altepTest

I think I've missed this. this thread was moved here for the main editor forum section? not sure if was ever here

EasyPK likes this.
  3. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I couldn't agree more.

This is disruptive and worse, prevent me to save my work.

4. mstyphoon12

mstyphoon12

Chiming in to say I've been having some serious trouble with this too. Intel i3-8100 and GeForce 1660TI with 16gig ram. The problem has made itself extremely apparent when using HDRP, especially after adding probuilder to my project.

5. EasyPK

EasyPK

Having this be a daily issue on 2020.3.19f1. From all problems such as using editor for hours, and losing progress from the editor hanging on "application.tick" or other nonsense to not being able to close the project/stuck on import opening the project.

Edit: So far, turning my "low latency mode" G sync option on nvidia control panel from OFF from ON and enabling terrain instancing on my main scene terrain, having both uncompressed and compressed library artifact assets (yuuuge size now) within projects scope has stopped the constant hangups. THEY ARE STILL THERE, however short, I was able to edit my terrain after all of this. a single instance of the artifacts/library probably fine but it seems the problem is with g sync and or gpu interaction on complex scene geometry without instancing.

My problem above turned into the "Failed to present D3D11 swapchain due to device reset/removed." editor crash error, after attempting to change unity's Preference/General setting for "Busy Progress Delay" from 3 (Default) to 10 (a supposed fix), which led me to believe the issue was GPU related; as turning lighting off on my scene would previously allow me to edit terrains for a solid 10-15 seconds before it started to slow down or completely freeze.

the only other thing i tried was a supposed fix on a forum thread related to the d3d11 swapchain issue; where a user copied "D3Dcompiler_47.dll" from "Unity\2020.3.19f1\Editor\Data\Tools" into "Unity\2020.3.19f1\Editor" with acclaimed success.

I am using a GTX 980, with an Asus predator xb273u 165hz g sync

tldr; editor hangs a bit when geometry/lighting are refreshed per change. but per-system optimization found within this thread can/may make it bearable

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  6. BMayzak

BMayzak

Just wanted to say I was able to successfully fall back to 2019.4 and it's been smooth sailing ever since; I'm sure Unity will figure this out, but I don't really have the time to continue debugging 2020.3; luckily it seems to be a pretty easy transition back and forth between the two assuming you don't have a setup that absolutely requires 2020

EasyPK likes this.
  7. skinwalker

skinwalker

All of the scripts on UI elements appear as "Missing Script" when you downgrade from 2020 to 2019 at least in my case and a few other people I've talked to. Also my project was first created on 2019 lts went to 2020 then tried going back to 2019 and all the UI scripts were missing.

8. Downgrade IS NOT supported by Unity in any shape or form (sometimes it may work despite of this). The right way to do it is: using version control, submit every relevant change, then upgrade to the newer version. If you encounter any problems and you want to go back, just revert to the proper point in the version control.

9. skinwalker

skinwalker

This is what I do, but just to test downgrading from 2020 to 2019 (In case a few months from now I decide to downgrade for some reason) I copied my files into an empty folder and saw how the UI scripts gone missing, so I'm just saying that people better be careful when they do this if they have lots of UI scripts.

10. Tyrant117

Tyrant117

Found a solution that caused most of my problems:
    For some reason the visual studio startup project got set to an Odin Assembly. When I switched it back to my main assembly it seemed to clear up all save hangs. I don't know if it is a permanent fix since the problem is intermittent, but I've noticed a good improvement.

EasyPK likes this.
  11. farrellart

farrellart

I have had this issue while saving and on some mouse clicks - I recently 'clean cache' in the GI as it was edging towards the max capacity of the ssd - it went from 200gb to 100mb, so far Unity (2020.3.10f1) has been fine.

I certainly would not recommend shutting down Unity while it is in the middle of doing something with the 'Hold on' pop up ( I too have thought Unity has stopped working, only to find it functional after a minute or two of waiting ) as that could potentially corrupt project data. I am aware there are 100 different solutions from 100 different users so take this with a pinch of salt.

12. altepTest

altepTest

Ok, I have new theory which may have some truth.

Unity will write to the Library folder huge numbers of small size "artifacts" files

At least one reason of these continuous slow downs may be a combination of a normal HDD having some level of fragmentation which increase the chance of spreading the "artifacts" files all over the disk. And also break those artifacts files in multiple pieces.

So, when you start adding files to project the number of paired "artifacts" files grow, they may be hundred of thousandth of those files for a normal 3D project. Those files end up like grain of sands all over the disk and they will also will be fragmented.

You can check this by using a defragmentation software that shows location of the fragmented files on disk in a graphical way. In my case they were all over the disk exactly like sand between other files.

For example on the project I'm working which have only the HDRP setup and DOOZYUI4 I have around 50k of artifacts files. I still need to add a lot of files and asset to the game so I predict getting to higher number or artifacts soon.

So 50k divided by an average of 3 pieces, we have 150k of small pieces all over the disk. When unity starts (or for some other reason during editing) it needs to read all or part of those files. On a normal HDD this will take minutes as accessing and reading small files is very slow.

I've moved the project to a SSD (yeah I know why not thinking before about it) and the loading times and interruptions appear to take less time. Instead of waiting up to 8 minutes to load the project now it takes 1 or 2 minutes which make sense because the SSD is faster in reading small files.

Now I've got tricked in thinking a normal disk may be fine because is a slow build if you disk is not fragmented and the project starts with a small number of files. But once you start adding stuff and the fragmentation increases, you slowly build up to this issue.

andreiagmu likes this.
  13. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

Why does Unity start to randomly re-import all project assets? (Sorry didn't read the 11 page thread, I'm sure it was already mentioned) I just copied a script into an existing, unchanged project and without me doing anything, Unity immediately starts to re-import the entire project. 30 minutes wasted for absolutely nothing. LTS 2020.3.19

RoyBarina likes this.
  14. Pattrigue

Pattrigue

This is actually unbearable.
    upload_2021-11-1_15-27-10.png

Ever since I upgraded to version 2020 (using 2020.3.21 as of writing this), I'm constantly getting these freezes (crashes?) where the "Hold on" box shows up and never goes away.

Sometimes the "Hold on" box pops up and never goes away right after having opened my project and entering play mode for the very first time. Other times, it happens when modifying a serialized field on a prefab.

At this point, it feels like every click in the editor is a gamble because who knows if Unity is going to freeze up and crash?

I've spent hours trying out different things in hopes of fixing it, but it always comes back. I've reinstalled Unity, deleted all the project files and started over, tried out empty project, yet the "Hold on" box and its subsequent freeze/crash continues to haunt everything I do in Unity.

I'm sure figuring out the cause is difficult, but can we please at least have a status update?
    This is killing people's workflows, and destroying any motivation and joy my team and I had when working on our game.

Superjayjay likes this.
  15. altepTest

altepTest

Can you tell me if you have the project on an SSD or normal disk HD?

16. Pattrigue

Pattrigue

I have all my projects on my SSD

17. altepTest

altepTest

well, then my theory about fragmentation doesn't work :)

18. Pattrigue

Pattrigue

I ended up spending last night downgrading to Unity 2019 and it has been smooth sailing since..

AnthonyJackson81 likes this.
  19. skinwalker

skinwalker

It's very strange seeing that on a brand new project, I also updated from 2019 to 2020 and had lots of hold-on messages, but then I deleted the library folder of the project, let it reimport all over again and so far I haven't seen much problems after a month of daily usage. I have a high-end PC, but my project is on the HDD.

20. Pattrigue

Pattrigue

I also tried getting rid of the library folder of the project and letting it reimport all over again before downgrading, but it didn't change anything.

21. skinwalker

skinwalker

Does that still happen if you increase the wait time before showing the hold ons? What I did after upgrading to 2020 lts was deleting the Library folder and set the wait time before displaying hold on dialogue to be 15 seconds. Not sure which fixed it, but before that I was getting hold ons for over 20 minutes when deleting objects from my scene. Now I mostly see those dialogues on scene changes which is normal.

22. AnthonyJackson81

AnthonyJackson81

this might be my only chance of actually making progress. I spent last week wrestling with the new version, completely unworkable. I have spent hours, just adding a few 2k materials to a basic building........its not a smooth working tool anymore.

23. DBarlok

DBarlok

hi, the progress bar crashes my work. Unity wasn't that slow before and this destroys your workflow. Just a random click on something activates the progress bar for X amount of time. When in past versions you where flying. Please fix. It is a bug not a feature. Unity it is amazing anyway, so please fix fix the progress bar behaviour a little? what is .tick?
    ....a change in the scene of a script, just a line of code, in a scene with just UI elements, it is taking 13 minutes with "Importing" after just changing a line of code.
    Importing what in 13 minutes? A line of code? It seems random. I update again: 17 minutes (i just fixed a compiler error, a line of code)....this makes you want to just close Unity and so something else, that means, you are focused on building the project you are working on, do all in paper, come to the computer, open Unity, start to do the tasks and 18 minutes still with the progress bar.

UPDATE: After closing chrome and the other Unity Editor Project (i work with 2 same time sometimes) and closing many chrome threads and other stuff (the computer was in sleep mode and woke up), Unity went back to normal. So this problem with the .tick, loading bar X amount of time (crashed) seems to be low memory to me.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  24. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

What's the deal with these? Even in closing Unity I will get ridiculous wait times on a ThreadRipper, geez upload_2021-12-4_20-51-26.png

This is 2020.3.10f1

25. itsjustmeagain

itsjustmeagain

I'm so tired of this problem. I've got this issue for years - on multiple machines. All my co-workers having the same issue. What's going on with Unity? I'm really worried.

I'm currently investigating if it's possible to running C# script in Unreal because I can't stand blueprints/c++. There must be some alternatives?

And... Please Hold on...

26. _antifun_

_antifun_

I think we are legit spending more time dealing with Unity's waits and crashes than actually developing at this point. It's pretty ridiculous, and everyone seems to be having the same problem yet Unity devs are claiming they're completely oblivious to the issues. Maybe if they used Unity to actually develop games like Unreal does they'd improve user experience much better instead of pushing half-assed features.

andreiagmu and rdbdog like this.
  27. Blepius

Blepius

Hello, sorry to ping such an old post, but it looks like this problem still exists? If you're looking for a project that reproduces this behavior, have you tried importing the FEEL package? It's widely used and the problem has been confirmed by several of us that use the program. This behavior doesn't exist in 2019.

I've heard that a bug report has already been submitted. Any news?

upload_2021-12-12_21-34-2.png

28. Jordi_Unitys

Jordi_Unitys

Hi the problem still persists on 2020.3.22f1, it's unacceptable.

29. AustinSyu

AustinSyu

It's a shame that a big company like Unity can't handle a minor bug like this.
    Just merge the bar into a corner of the editor, then nobody will blame.

30. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

andreiagmu and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  31. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The issue is not the dialog. The issue is that the editor is unresponsive for a long time ("busy doing something"). That's what the dialog is saying. If the dialog would be in the corner, the editor would still be unresponsive. The actual issue in all these cases is, what exactly the editor is doing at that exact time - might be something in your project code, some code in some package, or some code in the editor itself. "The application is taking a long time to calculate something" is almost never a minor bug, and also is almost never a single bug.

andreiagmu and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is it possible to add an option to turn the dialog off ?
    Even when it does not change anything to the responsiveness of unity.
    Some people just don't want to see dialogs as it distracts from the flow.

33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You could put something unreasonably big as a delay in the preferences.
    upload_2021-12-30_13-51-11.png

Aras and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Good point, Thanks!

AcidArrow likes this.
  35. RomeoMAK

RomeoMAK

From what I have tested, one of the reasons for the "Hold on Busy" dialog to remain open indefinitely, is because of the folder name. If you are using other languages like Japanese for example, folder name such as "フォルダ" or "Folder" will definitely cause this problem in my experience. Does not matter if your project name is all in English if the directory above it is not in English. Hope this helps you.

Ony likes this.
  36. snlehton

snlehton

Getting this on Unity 2020.3.23f1.

upload_2022-1-19_21-44-34.png

37. Korvak

Korvak

I was getting this issue constantly. I started an empty project to follow along a tutorial series. Restarting does not fix it. I installed 2019.4.34f1. No more issue. I may be no expert, but something had to change to be causing so many people who actually are working on more than a tutorial series to be experiencing these issues. Just my 2 cents.

38. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello!
    We have a fix, that we expect to help with this issue (unfortunately we couldn't reliably reproduce it on our end). It landed in 2022.2.0a3 today, and backports all the way to 2020.3 are on their way. We really hope it fixes the issue you have.

andreiagmu, Kirsche, Ony and 2 others like this.
  39. altepTest

altepTest

finally! hope it fixes the issue

40. Ultroman

Ultroman

I'd like to give a shout-out to the dialog, for giving me a chance to prove to my boss that I'm having to wait this long sometimes...
    2022-01-27 05_48_07.png
    ...with no changes between closing and opening the project, and zero information in the logs about what's happening. Restarting the computer doesn't help. It sometimes just randomly works again later if I'm lucky. Otherwise, it's hoping that deleting the Library folder works. If not, then trying to restart some more times. PITA

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  41. Ultroman

Ultroman

Update:
    2022-01-27 11.png
    There really is no timeout or end to be had this time.

Update:
    Fixed by a full shutdown of the computer and letting it sit for a few minutes. Restarts are apparently not good enough.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Ony likes this.
  42. altepTest

altepTest

Windows shutdowns and restarts are awful and are not actually real shutdowns and restarts.

Create two bat files on your desktop (create a text file and change the file extension to bat) Name one Restart and one Shutdown

Add in the restart file this line

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 0

and in the shutdown file this line

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

then when you want to do a clean restart double click the Restart bat. When you want to completely shutdown the system use the Shutdown bat.

Careful, always save everything, this will shutdown the system immediately.

Ony and Ultroman like this.
  43. Ultroman

Ultroman

I know of those, but thanks for the help anyway :) I just didn't think of that as a solution to not being able to open my Unity project ^^ That's usually for when Windows buckles.

44. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

@Ultroman
    We aim the Editor.log to have all the logs to be in it, but sometimes logs are not transferred there. You can check Logs folder in the project root and look for something like "AssetImportWorker0-prev.log", those are the logs from the workers we spawn. The fix I mentioned earlier is related to workers.

A bit of context:
    in 2020.3 we changed preview generation to be async - it happens in those workers I mentioned.
    and in 2021.2 we added Parallel Import feature (for now only Models and Textures are importing in parallel) - it uses pretty much the same workers and all those logs are in Logs folder.

Ultroman likes this.
  45. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Anxiously waiting for the fix for 2020, REALLY hoping this fixes the issue for good.

46. dezzell

dezzell

I have looked through everything here, and have been experiencing the same issues. Very aggravating seeing the Hold popup every second. Would be nice to display message in bottom right corner or console. The popup over the scene is ridiculous, and can't move it, just jumps back to the middle.

I did a quick video to show the Hold popup coming up every second. Anytime I attempt to move within the scene. I've closed Unity, Rebooted, Moved the project to SSD drive, standard drive. This wasn't happening with other projects.

After importing Gaia Pro 2021 within Unity3D 2020.3.27.f1, and adding terrain with trees, grass, flowers, rocks, I started receiving constant Hold popups every second, making it impossible to right click, scroll, move around within the scene.

I looked up the issues and found this article. After messing around with settings, I found that disabling Gaia Game Object Spawns under Terrain improved the performance and the popups went away.

I attempted to go to the latest version, Unity3D 2021.2.9.f1, however it kept crashing every time I pressed Play. So I went back to 2020.3.27.f1.

It seems Gaia Spawns is slowing down the scene and causing the Hold time popups.

I also adjusted Preference General - Compress Assets on Import and Busy Progress Delay. Seems to help some. This is very aggravating, having a Hold popup come up every second, and showing Tick, Right Mouse, scene print, and other messages. Would be nice to not display this, or show in the bottom right of the screen. Not sure why Gaia is causing a slow down with spawn objects. May be a bad object. Will keep looking into this issue, thought I would share with everyone.

Will send this to Adam with Gaia and see if he has a fix or noticed this issue.

Ultroman likes this.
  47. altepTest

altepTest

I see a custom inspector or button at top of the editor game window. It may be that unity broke or have trouble when custom assets inspectors are show, or used.

I have a similar issue with the editor when using salsa lypsync. they have custom interface for the option in the properties panels and unity doesn't like that at all. Contacted the author and he was not able to reproduce the bug using same editor version. So who knows what could be.

48. dezzell

dezzell

No difference in Unity 2022.1.0b6.

Still the Hold time pops up every sec, making it impossible to do anything. I switch to 2019.4.4f1 LTS, and everything works perfectly. I also cleared out Library folder and made no difference for me.

It is diffidently something with the Gaia 2021 Pro Terrain Gaia Game Object Spawns Game Object.

Also when I hot play with version 2021.2.9fa and 2022.1.0b6, my Unity crashes every time.

May be something with Gaia, or Tenkoku, or Bird Flock, who knows. It does not crash in 2020.3.27f1 LTS or 2019.4.4f1. Only the latest versions.

Very disappointed in the latest versions. Going back to 2019.4.4f1 and hopefully Unity will create a release that doesn't keep popping up hold dialog boxes and crashing all the time.

I know with so many developers out there, and so many updates to keep up with, this is bond to happen. Maybe go back to the 2019.4.4f1 LTS, and see what you all modified to cause the strange Hold popups, even when I click on the scene or move my mouse, it just keeps coming up. And yes when I disable Gaia Spawn, it runs much smoother, thou still I see those stupid popups.

Going back to 2019.4.4f1.

Thanks,
    David

Unity3d crash.jpg Unity3d-2022-mouseup.jpg

49. googer

googer

I got a really strange one.
    I updated the project from 2021.1.28f1 to the beta 2022.1.0b6 version and I started getting loads of different ''Hold on'' messages that would show up when doing most actions in the editor like clicking on prefabs, entering play mode, opening prefabs, etc. These dialogues would last minutes on end and slow down my PC with high memory usage and crashes, making work in Unity basically impossible. Most of the ''Hold on'' messages were different .repaints like the one in the pic below, Application.Ticks and, when exiting, Application.Shutdown.CleanupMono.

So I thought alright, must be the beta. So I went back to 2021.1.28f1, had Unity reimport the Library, fired up the project and it's as if all the issues had been brought over from the beta; almost everything I do in the editor results in a Hold on dialogue that would last for minutes and slow everything down. I've been on 2021.1.28f1 since November last year and have not had any similar issues up until the new beta update. Again, the issue persists even after reverting to an older version.
    The friend I'm working on this project doesn't have similar issues at all. I've reverted all the local changes I've made on the source control we have. I tested 3 versions of Unity with this project; 2021.1.28f1, 2021.2.9f1, and 2022.1.0b6 (each of them taking 3.5 - 4 hours to reimport :(), and all of them have the same problem. I reinstalled the Unity editor and the hub, and it didn't help. Even reinstalled Visual Studio. Tried disabling the anti virus but that didn't help either.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you :)

upload_2022-2-4_10-35-46.png