Search Unity

Bug Lot of Plastic Issues?

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by MousePods, Aug 11, 2021.

1. MousePods

MousePods

Hi!

I am trying to switch over to use Plastic SCM, but there seems to be a lot of issues that I don't know how to fix.

1. I cannot save a layout with the plastic window as it will throw the window error on loadup and have me factory reset the layouts. This is the error. Is this a known issue?
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Codice.Client.BaseCommands.BaseCommandsImpl.GetWorkspaceFromPath (System.String path, System.Boolean doPlatformGetPath) (at <4d34e3df724146edacbda57a9d62370d>:0)
    Codice.Client.BaseCommands.BaseCommandsImpl.GetWorkspaceFromPath (System.String path) (at <4d34e3df724146edacbda57a9d62370d>:0)
    PlasticGui.PlasticAPI.GetWorkspaceFromPath (System.String wkPath) (at <4d34e3df724146edacbda57a9d62370d>:0)
    Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.FindWorkspace.InfoForApplicationPath (System.String path, PlasticGui.IPlasticAPI plasticApi) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.9.0/Editor/PlasticSCM/FindWorkspace.cs:32)
    Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetMenu.AssetMenuItems.Enable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.9.0/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetMenu/AssetMenuItems.cs:40)
    Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetMenu.AssetMenuItems.BackgroundWorker_CompletedWork (System.Object sender, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.9.0/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetMenu/AssetMenuItems.cs:32)
    System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted (System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) (at <e03cb016b4c7444dab42f44480c3e846>:0)
    System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted (System.Object arg) (at <e03cb016b4c7444dab42f44480c3e846>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:153)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:83)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:107)

2. I have this error about fixing object name, but when I click the button, it does nothing. Also, I don't know why the mode is set to Visible Meta Files as I set it to plastic in player settings.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 9.38.13 PM.png

3. This setting keeps getting added to changes when I never touch it. Also, if I hit undo, it will not undo. I have to delete it by right-clicking and clicking delete.
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 9.38.25 PM.png

4. When I diff this file, it says their identical but it is showing it is changed?
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 9.43.53 PM.png

I am on 1.9.0 version control package with centralized distribution.

Thanks!

2. croquer

croquer

Unity Technologies

Hi @MousePods, I'm sorry you are facing issues while trying the Plastic SCM Plugin. Let me go through your questions:

I'm sorry but I can't repro this problem.
    Can you share your editor version? You are in Windows, right?

You can use the plugin without selecting "Plastic SCM" in the project settings. Give it a try.
    Regarding the object name error, I don't know what is triggering it. Again, share your editor version and OS and I'll test it.

That is an asset created by Unity on every project you can add it to the source control to track it. Notice its current status is "Added" so it's waiting to be submitted to the repo. Run a checkin operation to submit the file.

It might be the line endings or the spaces of the boot.config file has changed. Check your diff options:

upload_2021-8-11_13-10-22.png

Also, it might be a timestamp change only. You can save from seeing those as "changed" by enabling this feature: upload_2021-8-11_13-11-25.png

3. MousePods

MousePods

No problem! Thanks for responding :)

Editor: 2021.2.0b6
    macOS: 11.5
    Package: 1.9.0

Oh okay thanks! I thought it was the timeline settings in the player settings that kept changing when I never touched it.

Okay cool, thanks!

Quick Question: What is the difference between having plastic enabled in the project settings and not? What is the advantage vs disadvantage?

Thanks!

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @MousePods, while your other issue is being investigated, I wanted to take a moment to answer your latest question, about the difference between using the Plastic SCM Version Control mode in the Project Settings and not.

That setting is so that users could use the original integration of Plastic SCM with the Unity Editor, which you can learn more about here. For a long time, this was the only way to integrate Plastic SCM with your Unity Project. But with the new Version Control package it's much easier to adopt Plastic SCM for your version control needs in Unity.

It's not recommended to have both this mode setting and the Version Control package installed at the same time. They're meant to be a one-or-the-other option. When the Plastic SCM component of the Version Control package leaves Beta, then the Plastic SCM mode in the Version Control Project Settings will be removed to avoid confusion like this.

I hope this helps answer your question.

MousePods likes this.
  5. MousePods

MousePods

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

I believe all of my issues then are because of this setting. I will try uploading my project to plastic from collab again tonight and see if it all works :)

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  6. pKallv

pKallv

I also tried Plastic but gave up and continued with Collaborate, which is easy and works without problems.

However, now I get:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Codice.Client.BaseCommands.BaseCommandsImpl.GetWorkspaceFromPath (System.String path, System.Boolean doPlatformGetPath) (at <4d34e3df724146edacbda57a9d62370d>:0)
    3. Codice.Client.BaseCommands.BaseCommandsImpl.GetWorkspaceFromPath (System.String path) (at <4d34e3df724146edacbda57a9d62370d>:0)
    4. PlasticGui.PlasticAPI.GetWorkspaceFromPath (System.String wkPath) (at <4d34e3df724146edacbda57a9d62370d>:0)
    5. Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.FindWorkspace.InfoForApplicationPath (System.String path, PlasticGui.IPlasticAPI plasticApi) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.9.0/Editor/PlasticSCM/FindWorkspace.cs:32)
    6. Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetMenu.AssetMenuItems.Enable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.9.0/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetMenu/AssetMenuItems.cs:40)
    7. Unity.PlasticSCM.Editor.AssetMenu.AssetMenuItems.BackgroundWorker_CompletedWork (System.Object sender, System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.9.0/Editor/PlasticSCM/AssetMenu/AssetMenuItems.cs:32)
    8. System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted (System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) (at <b5226d7672da4aeaa36d32bf1166a63b>:0)
    9. System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted (System.Object arg) (at <b5226d7672da4aeaa36d32bf1166a63b>:0)
    10. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:153)
    11. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext:ExecuteTasks() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Scripting/UnitySynchronizationContext.cs:107)

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

8. pKallv

pKallv

1) Unity: 2021.1.21f1
    2) Version Control: 1.9.0
    3) macOS Big Sur 11.5.2

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for the info! I've forward this to our dev team who will look into it further.

In the meantime, the error shouldn't interfere with any of the package's behavior and can be cleared without issues. You can also try the following workaround to remove the error.
    • Remove the Version Control Package but do not delete your .plastic folder.
    • Close Unity, delete the Library folder.
    • Check in any changes with the Plastic SCM client.
    • Re-open Unity.

Foreman_Dev likes this.
  10. nija463

nija463

W
    it worked for me, thank you !