Search Unity

Bug Lot of crashes on Android with entities 1.0.8

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Artem_Korotenko, May 24, 2023.

1. Artem_Korotenko

Artem_Korotenko

Usually, in our team we have crash-free users rate around 98-99% on Android. But, in our first ecs-based project we are starting with awfull 90%. I think we can address nearly half of it by fixing some jobs and systems (and stack trace isn't very obvious, but possible to work with), but another half is just a bunch of non-frequent crashes. So, two questions:
    1) Does anyone have a live project on Android? Is it stable?
    2) May be you can help with crash on ExpandVisibleInstancesJob.

Looks like lot of crashes aree coming from devices with less than 150Mb free RAM, but can we prevent it somehow? On other unity projects we don't have that amount of crashes, even there are lot of low-level devices also

upload_2023-5-24_12-20-10.png

Opeth001 likes this.
  2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Somewhat stable. You'll definitely see more ANR's and crashes on some cheap devices.
    There are lots of caveats though [as you've figure out]. Since those crashes may come from the actual domain code. (e.g. gameplay logic if some cases are not handled correctly, like missing components, race conditions etc). Best way to track those are to upload symbols [during deployment of the build] to the Unity Services and then check the stack.

I haven't used Entities Graphics personally but it definitely looks like an out of memory issue.

Profile how much memory app takes on the device at peak.
    There are ways to check how much actual max memory device has.
    Try lowering number of potentially rendered entities for those devices.

3. mingwai

mingwai

Small Graphics Potato Unity Technologies

Hi, there is an Android crash issue (where JobsUtility.ThreadIndex may return invalid results) which has been fixed in the 2022.2.21 editor, but we are not sure if this is the same case as yours. Do you mind trying the 2022.2.21 editor and see if it still happens to you?

If it still crashes, please submit a bug report and let me know the bug id. I'll send it to Entities Graphics team for more investigation.

optimise likes this.