Search Unity

Lost monodevelop

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Hotpockets26, May 16, 2018.

1. Hotpockets26

Hotpockets26

Hello, I reinstalled unity and I haven't been able to find monodevlop, I didn't see an option to install monodevelop in the installation wizard so I assumed it was built into unity. Do I need to get monodevelop from an external source or do something else to get it back? its been so long since I reinstalled unity I dont remember how I got monodevelop. I cant find the folder that monodevelop is located either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's no longer bundled with Unity, instead Visual Studio is the default.

3. Hotpockets26

Hotpockets26

I thought Visual Studio was paid. Am I wrong or do I need to go buy a version of visual studio? also just out of curiosity why isnt it bundled with unity anymore?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

5. Hotpockets26

Hotpockets26

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Since the blog post mentioned earlier doesn't go into any details I thought I would clarify a bit. There are two primary reasons why it was discontinued. For starters, the release shipped with Unity had to be modified by Unity themselves to support code autocompletion (Visual Studio calls it IntelliSense) and debugging.

Adding this functionality was not a trivial process and as a result the release shipped with Unity was often way out of date and had stability closer to that of a beta rather than an actual release.

Second, the developer behind MonoDevelop, known as Xamarin, was bought out by Microsoft. One of their decisions was to discontinue providing Windows binaries. If you wish to run MonoDevelop you have to go through all of the steps necessary to compile it yourself. Binaries are still provided for macOS and Linux.

Just a quick side note by the way. Visual Studio for Mac is a rebranded Xamarin Studio which is itself a rebranded MonoDevelop. It's not actual Visual Studio. You're only getting the true Visual Studio if you're using the Windows installer but I don't recommend getting it that way. I recommend getting it separately. It seems to work better in my experience.

You can install Visual Studio for game development by simply running the installer for the appropriate tier you wish to use, scroll down the list of choices, select "Game Development". It'll mention Unity somewhere in the description. It'll also by default want to download an out of date Unity. You need to disable that in the options on the right side of the window.

After that just install Unity and you're good to go.

Hotpockets26 likes this.