Search Unity

Official Lost Crypt 2D Tech demo is out now on the Asset Store

Discussion in '2D' started by rustum, Dec 16, 2019.

1. MaykeBr

MaykeBr

2021 and i still doesnt figure out how to make the shadow to look like they show in the presentation video. I think unity removed the "Shadow distance" var from the 2D lights and it's not possible to make shadows like this...

Attached Files:

2. allpublic

allpublic

Hey Guys,

I also tried the demo and are not able to see anything. The scene is empty. Game is blue.
    I used fresh downloaded 2019.4.21f1 and new project.
    I tried -force-glcore but it crashs then.
    I have an Macbook M1. Is it supposed to work on that?

best regards
    Paul

Attached Files:

3. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Thanks guys for highlighting these upgrade errors. I got them too when I opened the Lost Crypt project in 2021.1 and tried to upgrade to URP 11. The team is aware of these issues and is already looking into fixing these upgrade bugs.

Also, here's a pro tip I recently learned from Rus which I thought will be helpful to you guys too.

Lost Crypt on the Asset Store has been updated recently to v1.3. This “version” has been submitted 3 times to support 2019.4, 2020.1 and 2020.2. Because of how the Asset Store caching works, if we have 2020.2 open and download this from the Asset Store we get the 2020.2 version of Lost Crypt. This version is then cached. If we then try to Import Lost Crypt (using the Package Manager) in different versions of Unity, we will be importing the one for 2020.2. This can cause issues. Currently, the recommendation is that we delete the cached version of Lost Crypt from the Asset Store cache before getting it from the Asset Store.

We know this isn't the most ideal way of switching between versions and we are also feedbacking this back to the Asset Store team. :)

4. allpublic

allpublic

I also figured that the Magic Spell Example is working. Because it includes a lot of the lost crypt reference it could be helpful https://on.unity.com/2GfTPqP

5. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

i'm using UNITY for the first time, downloaded version : 2020.3.1f1 LTS, from package manager i download Lost Crypt and then import it. nothing show up. just empty project shown. 2020.3 1f1 cannot work with Lost Crypt in 2021 ? this backward compatibility problem confusing new users :( Please help.

This is the Packages Library used (1)is it normally for everyone? (2).do i need this Universal RP to learn & use Lost Crypt? (i download and install URP Universal RP manually everytime i create new Project because it is not automatically Checked=True everytime i create new project )
    upload_2021-4-5_12-8-17.png

also..when i load up Lost Crypt sample Project, those 2 warnings showed up :
    is this normal for Unity engine 2020.3.1f1 LTS? need to install/upgrade "Package Manager dependencies" everytime i import in UNITY ? does this warning need INTERNET Connection to download dependencies? maybe this upgrade modul get corrupted because my internet connection having problem once and not connected when this warning downloading something.. and it just continued without downloading anymore after disconnected (but for next trying 4x with same warning i have good internet connection,but i didn't continue the downloads no more) can i re-download this Lost Crypt package manager Dependencies again ? is this the cause?
    upload_2021-4-5_12-11-10.png

2nd warning :
    upload_2021-4-5_12-12-24.png

After Import process done.... i saw this :
    upload_2021-4-5_12-42-19.png
    upload_2021-4-5_12-58-14.png

FYI, i did nothing, just push button : YES,OK,OK ,and sit back waiting for importing process...
    any help appreciate ..thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  6. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Hello, I'm running into a problem with the global light, I hope somebody might be able to help me with.

I've turned off all lights in the scene, so all sprites are dark (except the background)
    Then I put in a global 2D light and set the Target Sorting Layers to None. Now this seems to light up the entire scene with some kind of basic global light.
    Then when I set the sorting layer to something specific, that layer does get the global light, but the rest of the layers are still lit up with the basic light.
    If I turn off this global light, everything goes dark again.
    See the following screenshot. Foreground is set in the Target Sorting Layers, but all of the trees are still lit up.
    Why is this happening?
    It doesn't happen in the Unity video Lost Crypt: Explore Unity's new 2D features
    Thanks in advance.
    upload_2021-4-5_12-12-48.png

7. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

Hi StephenW, you seem can load 90% of that sample project, mine is not loaded at all, just whole blue light. may i ask what UNITY version you use? i'm using UNITY 2020.3.1f1 ...and not worked. seems like this UNITY forum suport is so quiet . :(

Stephen1701 likes this.
  8. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

I'm using Unity 2020.3.2f
    I believe your Universal Render Pipeline might be out of date, mine was when I downloaded the project. Try updating that to the latest version and see if it fixes your problem

9. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

hi StephenW, i have update to latest (by the time i tried Lost Crypt project)
    my URP version (as you can see from my screenshot posting before this) is 10.3.2.
    kindly,what's your version, also can u post screenshot your Packages used in Project + Packages:Unity Registry in your Unity 2020.3
    thanks in advance
    edit: i read this Lost Crypt Project details : for V1.30 it says uploaded specific version for 2019.4 , 2020.1, 2020.2 .. not specific for 2020.3 and higher upload_2021-4-8_10-6-43.png

so,CMIIW, Unity things are often specific only to certain version...this will be a Headache for newcomer,
    no backward compatibility, am i wrong?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  10. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

I'm using:
    URP 10.4.0
    upload_2021-4-8_18-1-9.png
    Lost Crypt 1.30
    upload_2021-4-8_18-0-57.png

Often they have a minimum version they work work.
    Although sometimes if something like Shader Graph updates, then you need to update URP to the same version to be compatible.

11. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

"then you need to update URP to the same version to be compatible." you mean shader Graph version and URP version must be the same?

uh ,in my Package Manager, i don't see URP v10.4.0 for update, it show latest update is v10.3.2 verified, is this the cuprit causing Lost Crypt can't be loaded? (empty Hierarchy, blue Main camera)

12. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

So you don't have the lost crypt in the project folder either? Maybe it didn't load in.
    It does have a problem of loading in, then telling you it uses the new Input System, then it loads the input system then you have to re-import the Lost Crypt demo again.

Your problem won't be caused by your URP or Shader Graph versions. A problem with URP would result in all sprites showing up as pink.

13. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

Yes,i re-import it after new input system loaded.
    Yes, i have the lost Crypt files in my Project folder (contains 600 MB++)

Thanks for this ,now i know in future whenever i get PINK sprites

can you check my earlier post with pictures?

this Screenshot (link below) show RED Warning at Left Bottom screen: "Import parameters got modified during import" right after importing process done.
    https://forum.unity.com/attachments/upload_2021-4-5_12-58-14-png.828527/

i almost abandon UNITY because of this first tutorial,but i am back trying again

Stephen1701 likes this.
  14. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

I don't know what that error message is referring to, but I had it as well, and I think everyone gets it. Something got changed from the original empty project when you imported the Lost Crypt, but I don't know what. As it's an empty project it's not important. As long as the demo works now and you can play around with it and learn from it.

15. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

you can have the demo worked even thou showing red error ""Import parameters got modified during import" ?? can you confirm? oh my,i don't know what's wrong with my Unity.

for My unity, after importing lost crypt: shows nothing in hierarchy (but assets window shows all) , thus no demo at all i can learn.
    as you can see in my earlier post with Pictures
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/los...on-the-asset-store.794820/page-2#post-7006475
    https://forum.unity.com/attachments/upload_2021-4-5_12-58-14-png.828527/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  16. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Just ignore the error and run it.
    You see nothing in the hierarchy because you are in the SampleScene.
    Go to Assets > Scenes and open the Main scene
    upload_2021-4-15_20-6-37.png

17. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

1. so we must go to Assets>Scenes before Clicking Play button? (mid top of screen)
    2. Here is my screen after i play it (pink)

UPDATED post : i open Packages:Unity Registry> Shader Graph, and update to version 10.4. now it worked :) thankyou so much StephenW for all your support

How do i learn from this sample project? no explainations or step by step how to create this wonderful project ? how do we learn / what we supposed to do with this sample project (as beginner)
    this is beginner question, sorry StephenW for asking such this question,
    just start learning UNITY :
    upload_2021-4-18_6-7-4.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Stephen1701 likes this.
  18. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

Brilliant, I'm glad you have it working.
    This isn't the best project for an absolute beginner to start with. Its designed to show off the new 2D features to people already familiar with how Unity works. So they can have a play around with it and see how things work.

I'd recommend playing around with the 2D Game Kit demo. This gets you used to some of the basic Unity features without requiring any code.
    Try the link below for the 2D Game Kit tutorial
    https://learn.unity.com/project/2d-game-kit?uv=2020.2

Then you can search on there for any more tutorials.
    I bought some tutorials for cheap on Udemy when they had a sale on (they have loads) maybe you can get started there too. This is the one I learned from (I learned from it several years ago and it has been updated since) https://www.udemy.com/course/unitycourse/
    Of course there are many there to choose from, so have a look around and see which you enjoy best.

It can be very frustrating to get going, especially with bugs like pink screen getting in your way and annoying you, but if you really want to learn to make games I'd recommend sticking at it.

Hope it helps you.

19. EagleOnez

EagleOnez

Hey,thats awesome hints. thankyou so muchh,StephenW. yes, i feel this sample Lost Crypt is not really suitable for "totally Fresh Beginner" with UNITY.
    do you have any additional references for "totally fresh beginner" like me to start learn practically?
    but not kind of "beat the bushes" tutorial.
    thank you so much in advance !

Stephen1701 likes this.
  20. Stephen1701

Stephen1701

You're welcome.

You could try following this tutorial series from GamesPlusGames. He's pretty good. It's a few years old but the concepts should still be the same. Although some things may be different as you're on a newer version of unity.
    I really recommend starting with the 2D Game Kit first of all, as it's no code required and very recent, so you can get used to the Unity Editor.

And just search for any video online and see how somebody else does it. "How to make a platformer" for example. Then just follow along with them and do what they do. That way you can be sure you're doing the right things in the editor as you will see them do it.

EagleOnez likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Linux: /home/username/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x/

Linux users matter too! :)

rustum likes this.
  22. Deleted User

Deleted User

I loaded the Lost Crypt package into 2021.1.4f1: no error message of any kind, just the warning you can see on the image below. :)

Capture d’écran_2021-04-27_18-07-03.jpg

Stephen1701 likes this.
  23. RyotaMurohoshi

RyotaMurohoshi

# Environment and Versions
    Lost Crypt version : v1.3.2
    Unity Editor : 2021.3.1f1

#Reproduction procedure

1. I created empty 2d project.
    2. I added Lost Crypt version v1.3.2.
    3. The attached image window was shown and I cannot resolve dependency to URP 12.1.4.

# My thought

Lost Crypt version v1.3.2 depends "com.unity.render-pipelines.universal": "12.1.4".
    But URP 12.1.4 cannot be able to resolve dependency. So we cannot install URP 12.1.4 with any Unity project now.

# Suggestion
    Please update dependency for "com.unity.render-pipelines.universal" from "12.1.4" to "12.1.7".

# Another Suggestion
    Please fix resolving dependency for "com.unity.render-pipelines.universal:12.1.4".

Attached Files:

24. JamesCarlyleClarke

JamesCarlyleClarke

Trying to get and study this demo, and I've tried in 2021.3.9f1 (+Android, UWP, WebGL, Windows), 2021.3.8f1 (+Android, UWP, WebGL, Windows) and some older ones (that didn't have UWP, I realised).

2021.3.9f1 gave me a bunch of warnings and errors, and ended up with assets but no GameObjects.
    2021.3.8f1 gave me less warnings and errors, but still ended up with no GameObjects. I was surprised as this version is listed as the demo working with it.

I've spent a lot of time just trying to get this to work, time I'd like to spend actually looking at the demo project and learning from it.

So can you tell me, what is the best version of Unity to try this on, and with what libraries or resources installed beforehand, to just be able to get this and run it?

And then what's the best way to actually open the project? I mean, should I import it over the empty project I make, or switch to a temporary one, or what?

It would be really helpful to me (and perhaps others) if you could just give a simple 'works out of the box' setup to go for.

25. rmgalante

rmgalante

I have a question regarding how the timeline sequence for the artifact explosion was recorded. I am trying to reproduce the recorded particle emitter, Particles_ArtifactEmbers, because I'm interested in how it reverses course and returns from where it started.

I am using Unity version 2022.1.20f1.

I created the activation track and the control track. These tracks work. Now I want to record the particle emitter. How did they do that? And how did they reverse it? When I record the emitter, and add keys, I do not see the same keys that they have in theirs. I cannot find Particle System.Velocity Module.x.min.scaler, x.scaler, y.min.scaler, and y.scaler in the inspector.

If I edit the animation in the animation window, I can add those properties. But when I do it that way, they do not update when I drag the timeline scroller and add keys. These properties always have 0 values.

My guess is that they add keys for these values, move the timeline scroller, and more keys, etc. Then they scrub to 1 second after the particle emitter finishes and add keys one more time. However, I'm not able to reproduce this feature.

Update 2022-11-15:
    As a test, I added another particle system, which is a duplicate of the system, Particles_ArtefactsEmbers.
    I set its position to the same position as Sara.
    I set it to play on awake.
    I showed the Animation window.
    I selected the new particle system.
    I create an animation and a controller by clicking the button, Create, in the Animation window.
    I clicked record.
    I started the game. I clicked on the new particle system.
    The particle system plays.
    I recorded the values at the same frame locations that I copied from the recorded result in the Sequence timeline.
    Now I see the particles return at the same high rate as the recorded ones do in the Sequence timeline.
    I noticed that the x.min.Scalar, x.scalar, y.min.Scalar, and y.scalar values were not keyable in the inspector while I was recording. These properties map to the inspector as follows.
    • x.min.Scalar = Linear x
    • x.scalar = the second x value
    • y.min.Scalar = Linear y
    • y.scalar = the second y value
    But I could set the values manually, presuming I know what they are supposed to be. Keys were created when the values were changed.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022