Search Unity

Lost console window offscreen-- can't get it back

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by independentcreator, Oct 26, 2009.

1. independentcreator

independentcreator

Silly question time: I can't get my console window back. I have the bottom edge of it, and the rest of the window's off the top of the screen.

The typical "Alt-space, M" doesn't work, and right-clicking on the window in the taskbar doesn't work (since it has no window in the taskbar). I can make the window go away by selecting a layout from Windows->Layouts, but when I Alt-Shift-C to get it back, it's still cut off.

Can anyone help me lasso this rogue window back on screen?

2. Bastiaens

Bastiaens

Im having the same, with my colour picker.. and i cant get it to work neither, i allways have to press Layout, and change it again too. i already have a post for this, but no fix, only to right click on there and move, but u can only move the unity window, and not the colour picker or in your case the console..
    Hope they will fix this x)
    And I also tried changing resolution etc.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

you can tell unity to reset the position basically by using the drop down at the top right of each window and add the tab into the ribbons and drag it from there again.

the exception to that is the console that does not appear in that menu.

Meheraj7 and Buzzrick like this.
  4. independentcreator

independentcreator

I fixed it by changing the position of my second monitor relative to the first in my desktop settings, finding the window, dragging it onto the main monitor, then putting my monitor settings back to the correct value.

Clearly, the console window could use some re-thinking. :)

I don't even know how I'd use it if I only had one monitor, since it doesn't dock, and it gets hidden behind the main Unity window.

sam_nau likes this.
  5. Dreamora

Dreamora

the console in 2.5+ can be docked into the window as all other windows can ...

6. independentcreator

independentcreator

Interesting-- it can if you drag the tab, but not any other portion of the window, and not if you use the "Add Tab" menu in any of the tab bars. (And not if the console window's off-screen.) I didn't realize that until you mentioned it. Thanks for the tip.

7. independentcreator

independentcreator

Bug still exists in 2.6. On a related note, Unity crashes when you change the number of monitors your desktop uses. :) It's quite an adventure to get those rogue windows back!

8. Bampf

Bampf

Still can happen in Unity 3.5. :) I found a workaround: use the Window->Zoom command, which causes Unity to move the console window to fill its current screen. At that point I can resize or dock it.

Teejs likes this.
  9. Felipe-2

Felipe-2

Anyone know, how I put the "Tab Console" on my "Layout" Unity ?, it does not appear in no text here...

10. ohyuxuan

ohyuxuan

did someone know how to get console back?
    because i suddenly delete it already...

11. jdk1-0

jdk1-0

In Windows you can fix this by closing Unity and then open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
    • Navigate to: `HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 5.x`
    • Modify the `UnityEditor.ConsoleWindowx........` and `UnityEditor.ConsoleWindowy........` values. The same goes for all the windows listed under that key. What I did was change the data to be all zeros, which brought back the window (Lighting Window in my case) to the top-left of the screen.
    • Once you've done that, reopen Unity and the missing window should appear.

Requisite caveat: if you aren't experienced with regedit, please know that it can destroy your computer, give cancer to all butterflies and baby seals, and cause WWIII if you aren't careful and all that...

12. romanlarionov

romanlarionov

This works perfectly :)

13. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

@jdk 1-0

+1 Saved me a lot of time with this post. Thx.

14. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

This happened to me with a custom EditorWindow today. I had to modify it to reset the window every time it was open. Even "Revert to Factory Settings" didn't work!

15. myc0058

myc0058

It works Unity2017.
    Don't find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 2017
    I guess Unity2017 share with Unity 5.x registry

16. Tomer-Barkan

Tomer-Barkan

17. Chris_Payne_QS

Chris_Payne_QS

I have had the same issue with the Rogo Digital Lip Sync window going missing (Unity editor loses focus on opening the window but no sign of where the focus has gone). That unexpectedly came back of it's own accord, but now (weeks later) the Sprite Editor has vanished too.
    I suspect it will have been caused by desktop resizing or something - I use a laptop with a 4K primary display and a secondary 1080p display (which I often hot-swap to travel).
    But I can't get the window back by resetting the layout to factory, or even by hacking the UnityEditor.SpriteEditorWindowx/y in the registry. Something just resets the registry values but doesn't show the window. Any other suggestions?

Ignacii likes this.
  18. Sullivanroger

Sullivanroger

If your like me when this happened, you have two monitors one of which is of much higher resolutuon. (Assuming you have win 10) Right click on your windows desk top, go to display settings and under scale and layout drop “change the size of text apps and other settings” to 100% for both screens. You should then see your missing window. Drag it back on screen and fix your setting back. You have to be carful dragging your windows between screens because they resize.

kiber_, andreasp and Chris_Payne_QS like this.
  19. GLARKI

GLARKI

Perfect Solution with minimal time effort. THnx Bro

20. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

Just a heads up in case anyone is having these issues with 2018.2: this version is basically broken. From not being able to use the Shift key when renaming gameobjects to Ctrl-z and other combos suddenly not working to serious performance hits for rigidbodies and particles systems.

I see a lot of new users here having issues and I'm just guessing that a lot of you are using the latest version that Unity has put front-and-center. 2017 is your safest bet for now.

21. Davedub

Davedub

Well this is a pain! My profiler window is off the top of my second screen on Windows 10. I've tried the registry fix:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 5.x

I have no "UnityEditor.ConsoleWindowy" key. Also, many of the keys that are there read 'invalid DWORD (32-bit) value'. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

So I tried the “change the size of text apps and other settings” to 100% for both screens method. Still no joy.

So I went back the the mess in the registry and eventually found some "UnityEditor.ProfilerWindow..." keys. These too were set to 'invalid DWORD (32-bit) value' so I tried to set the x and y ones to 0,0 but they continued to read 'invalid DWORD (32-bit) value'. So I then deleted them and restarted Unity. Still no joy :-(

Given this issue has been around since 2009, I'd say the devs at Unity are not giving enough prioritisation to bug fixing and are spending too much time introducing new buggy features that break my existing code (UNET was working fine for me, now I've had to switch back to 2018.1.9f2 just to get my project to work - and now I'm forced to work without a profiler!)

/end whinge

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you try deleting all the Unity directories in:
    • C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\Anne\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\Anne\AppData\Roaming
    and restarting the editor?

23. garvityaduvanshiji

garvityaduvanshiji

well when first time i use unity accidentley i remove the console out of screen ,well u can go to window option in unity than go to layout than choose default it works for me

24. garvityaduvanshiji

garvityaduvanshiji

25. garvityaduvanshiji

garvityaduvanshiji

when first time i use unity by mistake i remove console window .you can go window option in unity than go to layout option than choose default it works for me

26. garvityaduvanshiji

garvityaduvanshiji

27. sam_nau

sam_nau

I had this problem and fixed it just like you suggested. Then I had it all over again when I tried maximizing my game window to my giant second monitor's full size. Which apparently put the top of the game window off the top of the screen. So I had to move the arrangement of the monitors in the display settings to have the large monitor moved up relative to its previous position to get the top of the game window back on screen!

28. muhammadhassan3

muhammadhassan3

Save your layout and load some default layout i hope this should also work for you.

supahmanishere likes this.
  29. bb8_1

bb8_1

Happened to me too(windows 10 and Unity2020.3.33) - i just pressed SHIFT+right mouse click and MOVE option selected and then screen appeared(after pressing arrow buttons) - unity main window disappeared after i clicked option
    Window/Layouts/Default

30. Lahcene

Lahcene

Happened to me with the UI Builder window when I had the Scaling set to 125% in the Windows Display settings,
    setting it temporarily back to 100% made the window appear.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    bb8_1 likes this.