Search Unity

Lord Ball - Looking for Feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tobias J., Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

Hello all,

I'm more than a little proud to present the first version of my first game :D

It's a sort of billiards game for 2 players, who have to shoot their balls around the playfield in order to gain the upper hand and finally push the other player out of his starting position.

This is a small playfield. I expect the end version to have playfields which are larger and have more dynamos.

Here is a couple of quick screenshots:

I know the graphics are awful and as you might tell, even buggy. For now, I just want to get the game mechanics settled, and then handle the appearance afterwards.

I've written a bit more on the web page, where you'll find the webplayer as well. Actually, I still haven't had anyone test this site, so I'm not even sure if you'll be able to connect. Please let me know! :D

Thanks for your time!
    -Tobias

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

I'm sorry about any inconveniences. I had set up a virtual server in Amazon's cloud, and had no problems with finding the site myself. Not exactly sure why others can't, but there we are.

However, I'm confident you should be able to connect to this site!

If not, please let me know!

3. Max_Damage

Max_Damage

I like the idea of the game, but it seems slow while waiting for the ball to stop moving.

Although its perhaps a lesson for life, not to play with your balls while they're moving?

4. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I don't have a mouse wheel button on my laptop so I can't play. :)

MQ

5. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

Thanks for the replies guys! :D

@Max_Damage:

hehe. Maybe so.

I agree it can be a bit of a wait. I'll set the sleep threshold up a bit a see how that works out.

@MoonQuake:

Yeah, I knew laptops would be a problem. I'll go set up some controls for those using touchpads. Hope you'll drop by again!

Thanks again!

6. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

UPDATE:

• Additional controls for laptop users:
      • Zoom in: Z or keypad '+'
      • Zoom out: X or keypad '-'
      • Press either Control key to rotate view with mouse.
    • Fixed issue with shooting ball in stead of selecting it when distance was tiny.
    • Automatically end turn when no energy and no shots left.
    • Press 'Q' to cancel buy order.

Site has a new forum as well.

@ Laptop users: How do these controls feel to you?

Please leave comments here or at the game forum. I'd really like to know what you think - especially if you're a strategy fan!!

7. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

UPDATE: V 0.1d

Finally got a good hold on the networking, but it was damn frustrating. So I returned to some of the easy/quick fixes to boost my confidence a bit.
    • Aiming line is now an actual aiming line (goes forward)
    • Info text at the bottom of the screen is now colored according to player's turn. Still needs to be even clearer, and can be hard to spot for new players. It's a start
    • Tweaks to physics materials:
      • Initial balls are identical to the default settings when buying (was half the mass before)
      • Walls are more bouncy
      • Ground creates less friction.
      • This will result in your balls going farther than before, and I tell myself it's a step closer to billiards physics.
    • Cornerstones for networking is laid! yay! :D

Play the latest version: http://sp00ky.dk/LordBall_01d.html

Let me know what you think!

8. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

Well, I have suffered several setbacks in regard of networking, and are back to the drawing board for the umptieth time.
    But I have made some other important changes.

Version 0.2:

• Balls stop earlier now. This feels right to me, but please let me know how it feels to you!
    • GUI elements are now re-positioned upon changes in screen resolution (try: right click -> Go full screen).
    • Introducing a proper, scrolling text-field for information. You may see new messages now, which were over-written too fast to notice before.
    • Should now also be obvious whose turn it is.
    • Balls bounce even at very low velocity, and other small changes to physics you probably wont notice.

Play the latest version here.

Any and all comments welcome. :)

9. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

After much rummaging about, I finally have a half-decent website for the game up. Check it out at sp00ky.dk/LordBall.

I made a post about it on the forum.

Be a rebel - post a comment! ;)