Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Looking to make PSX style particle effects; where do I start?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by FeldIV, Jul 18, 2022.

1. FeldIV

FeldIV

If you've played a PSX game, ya'll know what I mean; those particle effects that are often used to convey things like magic, smoke, lasers, fire, sparkly stuff; examples are attached. Where do I start to make those type of particle effects in Unity?

I know about PSX style filters, as in tricks to emulate the camera jitters, resolution, and z buffering effect (lack thereof), but I'm guessing that's different from the actual particle effects in these examples, yes?

Where do I start? How do I do it? I'm happy to elaborate/try to articulate better, as I'm just getting my feet wet in this!

Attached Files:

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Any base particle effect can be used in this fashion, you just need to adjust their settings to get the desired effect your looking for. In your 1st example (most are FF examples): its a fire/meteor effect modified.

Google/official documentation/tutorials, are your best friends, as to how to impliment this. But remember this, your trying to re-create past/older systems, that were developed in a much different way, then we do now. You may think it should be easier, but its not.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  3. FeldIV

FeldIV

Thanks! You've given me some stuff to think about.

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Glad to help in some way, also take note that URP/HDRP for instance, have better support for particle effects, over BuiltIn. So your version of Unity does make a difference...