Search Unity

Looking to create a app that allows readers to purchase and view digital comics.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Openworldcomics, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Openworldcomics

Openworldcomics

I create Indie comics and would like to create a app that links to my store and also doubles as a place where they can download and read the books. Not sure where to begin. Any suggestions would be great.

2. diegomendes

diegomendes

Unity is made for games, is not the best platform to create an simple app(you could but the app would consume much battery and processing for nothing).

If you want to create just an app to organize your store links(seems to be an portifolio app), you should look for other ways...

PS: there is something called "qt5", search about it

qt.io

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Additionally, if you are targeting mobile, for the App Store this is no longer allowed, publications like comics and books are required to be published as an ebook not an app.

The upside, though, is this makes it much easier and faster to publish in the App Store, and a better chance for your comics to be found.

Kiwasi, Ryiah and diegomendes like this.
  4. drewradley

drewradley

I wonder how much interactivity you need before it stops being a document and starts being a game. Take all those chose-your-own-adventure games. Those seem more document than game but they still are sold in the game section and not using an e-reader as far as I can tell. Perhaps I am wrong about them as I've never played one (only read them as a kid!).

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I think is basically just for flat, linear documents. If it has interaction or is non-linear it could still be an app. (The content, not wrapper). Though you could still publish a choose your own adventure as long as the choices were just links and not forced.

6. Openworldcomics

Openworldcomics

Thanks for the information. Gave me a little more to consider. I checked out the QT service and it looks promising. All in all I was looking to create something similar to Comixology but for just showcasing, reading and purchase of my comics.

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Qt is not a service, it is a framework. You should be able to start using it for free, under LGPL license. LGPL allows commercial product development.

8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Without sounding daft or stating the obvious, why can't you just create a link on your site which opens up the pdf.

If you want a store use something like paypal. Sounds like you're over complicating things with an app.

The website itself can be the 'app' especially if it is responsive.

diegomendes and Kiwasi like this.
  9. Lehar2010

Lehar2010

Hi,
    Do you want to build this application on your own?Or you want some professional help from any mobile game development company?