Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Looking for VFX Graph advice. Tried recreating something I saw in a video. (Houdini, SDF, PCache)

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by MostHated, Jan 4, 2020.

1. MostHated

MostHated

Hey all,

Here is what I am working on. https://i.imgur.com/y6reFbS.mp4 (An axe/mace weapon)

I was trying to similarly recreate what I saw near the end of this video.

My effect was made using a SDF and point cache exported from Houdini. I am fairly satisfied with the outcome, but as you will notice in the first link, the more or less "resting" actions of the particles seem to congregate midway and somewhat to the right of the overall effect. I tried making this by just looking at the graph that was briefly panned around at the end of the video which doesn't yet have an explanation or full tutorial and I felt bad pestering the nice person who originally made it as they are currently on vacation.

I am brand new to VFX Graph, this is my first attempt at using it, so I am pretty green to knowing exactly what all does what, but I am currently just trying to figure out how I might go about making the particles generated from the SDF run around the entirety of the space more. Currently, if I relax the constraints of the particle attraction and they go flying about and then I reinstate the attraction they will adhere to various parts of the volume, but then as they age out I end up being left with the newer particles which mostly just hang out in the areas seen in the calmer parts of the clip.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would definitely appreciate hearing them. Here is a closer look at the graph I am using.

(I tried to stitch together several screenshots, so I apologize if things are slightly off anywhere)
    https://i.imgur.com/K3bsv9e.png

Thanks!

NateReese77 likes this.