Search Unity

Looking for the best way to write RPG (branched) dialog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G_Trex, May 12, 2020.

1. G_Trex

G_Trex

Can anyone recommend to me a good software for writing branched, RPG style dialog software.

Specifically, I'm looking for one with a spellcheck. There seem to be several around, even some based in the unity engine, but I'm yet to find one which can check my spelling.

If possible, I'd also like i to be separate from unity so I don't have to be my workspation PC to use it.

2. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

You mean like twine?

3. G_Trex

G_Trex

Yeah, Twine would be great, but I don't think it comes with a spellcheck.

Or is there a version that does?

4. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Maybe you are right, last time i used something called yarn spinner, and that had option for spellcheck, but is high learning curve.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

articy:draft has spellcheck. It also has a plugin for Unity, or you can use the Dialogue System for Unity if you need something more robust for your articy imports (which is what big games like Disco Elysium do).

Michael Wehar shared an example of using Open Source Spell Checker with Twine here. There's also an open source Twine integration for Unity called Cradle (or you can import Twine into the Dialogue System).

Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 came with a pretty robust outline-based RPG conversation editor. You can pick up NWN really cheap on GOG.com and use the SpellPlug plugin to add spellcheck. (I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Dialogue System also imports NWN.)

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  6. Charles-Brant

Charles-Brant

You mean the text will be auto generated during runtime?

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think he's talking about traditional branching conversations as seen in games like The Witcher, Mass Effect, Divinity, etc.

8. G_Trex

G_Trex

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I've been playing with the articy:draft demo and it seem pretty close to what I'm looking for. I'll have to see how it compares to the one I currently use fro while before I commit to buying it.