Search Unity

Looking for suggestions on how I can make my game look better

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Snubber, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Snubber

Snubber

Here's a quick video showcasing my game Skullborn: google drive video or if that doesn't load you can see my twitter post

I am not an artist so I made a game where the player makes their own art. The player starts as a skeleton and fights elemental creatures, gathers their resources, and uses them to build weapons/armor with a block-building system.

Any suggestions on shading techniques for the blocks (see the armor and axe on the skeleton) would be helpful. Also ideas for post processing effects. And any ideas at all would be much appreciated. I really want the game to be eye catching but it's not my area of expertise.

I want to go for a less realistic look. Maybe something similar to Breath of the Wild but slightly less bright.

2. o1o101

o1o101

I would suggest looking into a few things from based on your video.

Terrain, your terrain seems to be where most gameplay is taking place, so everything terrain related is going to help you a ton. Better terrain shading to break up tiling, height based blending, per pixel normal map, etc.., better tiling terrain materials with correct PBR maps, better ground mesh details like grass/stones. Also more tree variations.

Post, make sure you are on the linear color space and dive into post processing, set up proper color grading values, experiment with other effects. Also if you are targeting PC, throw the SSAO through the render feature in URP and adjust the values, don't go overboard with it but it should help the visuals a fair bit.

Lighting, shadow distance looked very low, skybox and lighting felt plain, so unless you have a time of day system, I would suggest some more dramatic skies / lighting. Also try messing around with the tri color ambient light mode to get some ambient that fits the sky. Last make sure to get the fog as fitting with the skybox as possible, use the exponential setting instead of exp squared, imo better results, you can adjust it to hit that solid color barrier further away while still keeping some fog close up, really helps with distance.

Game is lookin interesting, nice job.