Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for some recommandations

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by edufissure, Nov 22, 2018.

1. edufissure

edufissure

Hwllo, i want to develop a FPS as my Master's Computer Science Thesis. I have limited art skills. The idea is design a "Treasure hunt" which has some clues spare along the map. the objective is to guess the final location and arrive to it ( with the help of the clues). You would meet some enemies to difficult the game. Ideally i ve thought to use a map with 3d buildings from about 1km2 of my home city ( Lleida Spain) and use it as a map ( not using AR, VR or connection to internet or geolocation, just use the map as my gamemap). In the map i have to put the player, enmies amb some objects

1 - Recommanations about this: Google Maps has released a package for unity but seems that only to enterprises, mapbox is an option. Which one do you recommend to use ?

2 - Also i can use an unity package as mapbox or importing from openstretmaps to blender, and then from blender to unity... pros and cons ? What would be easier...

Any other ideas ?

pd: as educational purpose it has to be free and better use opensource...

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

You don't need art. Do it all with gray boxes.

Check out Gamer to Game Developer channel on youtube. He'll walk you through coding an FPS. That's everything you need to know right there. After that, all you have to do is place your gray boxes around to build your level in an interesting way.

Keep it simple. Focus on making interesting choices for the player to experience.

3. edufissure

edufissure

Thanks for your suggestions, id take a look to you tube channel you mention.

Im looking recommandation about using real 3d maps and import to unity. Like streetview or google maps at floor level, so player could move in a real scenario seeking different clues. My idea is something like: go to the cathedral where you can find the key for this door.... in the Museum Morera there's another clue ....

Want to use real map instead of beginning to make so many grayboxes....

Thanks again

4. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Masters? I'd just listen to Bigtime. You can download the elevation data if you want, but that area's so small I honestly wouldn't bother with all that. Just bring the map over and hand place your infrastructure, hand-paint any noticeable elevation changes and readjust. Then put grey boxes in the approximate size and location of their real-world counterparts. Then either make some buildings or buy some buildings. I'm pretty sure you can't use Google's API for a normal person's price, and the people that can offer that to you charge more than it's worth unless you're actually doing a large map. Enjoy that quality education.

Edit: For the record, it seems like you're underestimating the amount of other things that will be required to make it look anything like you probably are expecting, if you want that type of precision right now.

Kiwasi likes this.
  5. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I would go with taking an aerial(top down) picture of what you want the map to be and tracing it somehow, maybe just unity's terrain system, start with plain boxes for the buildings and do some simple models in blender later on(easier than you think if you haven't used it before)