Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Looking for participants to try Unity’s Bug Reporting (Alpha) service

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by johng_unity, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Mahgo

Mahgo

Wouldn't it be better to run the Coroutine once (on Awake) and let it run each frame in a while loop? I imagine it would have better performance.

MihaPro_CarX and dotsquid like this.
  2. Mahgo

Mahgo

Have you considered making those two dlls open source? So that it's easier for everyone to debug any issues?

Edit: I'm referring to Unity.Cloud.BugReporting.Client.dll and Unity.Cloud.BugReporting.Plugin.dll

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  3. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

Seems reasonnable, it's just that right now I can't filter issues for which I have created a Jira task/gitlab issue. And that makes it impossible to correctly process new issues

And aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh could Unity website please stop checking my authentification and bringing me back to the dashboard every 5 minutes ?!

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    MihaPro_CarX and Mahgo like this.
  4. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

The next SDK update will include better handling for exception events. In the meantime, you can grab the stack trace from the logMessageReceivedThreaded event and manually log it.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             Application.logMessageReceivedThreaded += (logString, stackTrace, logType) =>
    2.             {
    3.                 // Manually log message using LogEvent()
    4.             };

5. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

There's nothing particularly special about those dlls, so it shouldn't be an issue. They're simply dlls because of how they're used internally. I'll add it to our list of work items.

6. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

You could definitely do this. The sample is written this way to make it easier for the developer to choose when update should be called. For example, not being updated while paused.

In general, BugReportingScript is written as a simple way of getting started and isn't necessarily the most optimized solution.

Would it be helpful to include a second helper that runs continuously?

7. Mahgo

Mahgo

You're probably better off wrapping the coroutine's contents in an if (boolean) then, and allowing the user to toggle that for that functionality.

I think it's pretty important that it can run as lightweight as possible.

8. Otto_Oliveira

Otto_Oliveira

My bug report page doesn't load anymore. Perhaps my team posted too many bugs +50?

Is there a way to solve that? I've tried in different machines and browsers. Is there an API available like Cloud Build to manually delete Bug Reports?

Thanks

9. Mahgo

Mahgo

When can we expect SDK updates?

10. pavel_luden

pavel_luden

Hi! If a mobile game crashes on a device for some reason (because out of memory or stack overflow) I want to collect and send bug report automatically. How can I do that? Does SDK provide hooks for that? Or maybe there are ways to handle crashes using other unity systems?

11. GroundCombo

GroundCombo

Some feedback:
    - As mentioned before, the API and example are kind of weird with the one-frame coroutine. Documentation is no doubt coming at some point, but it required some trial and error to get going.
    - Really nice options for attachments and arbitrary data.
    - The biggest hurdle is the dashboard. It's slow (seems to be a problem with Unity services and the forum in general these days), it needs more compact view options, there's no mass deleting and it likes to refresh the session often using several slow redirections.
    - Tagging/grouping and a comment field would be very nice. Maybe you're going with the integration route but the dashboard is very barebones.
    - Overall definitely useful and worth improving though.

MihaPro_CarX likes this.
  12. SeanMcTex

SeanMcTex

Brett,

We've taken the Unity Bug Reporter out for a spin, and really like it. (We also tried Instabug, but didn't have immediate success with their Unity integration.) We'll certainly be starting to use it on our projects as soon as the Jira integration is available. Do we have any timeline for that, or is there a good place to watch for that announcement?

Thanks for your work on this!

Cheers,
    Sean

13. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi - just a quick note that JIRA integration is now available for Bug Reporting. You can set it up in the developer dashboard under Settings > Integrations (Beta).

14. Jelmersb

Jelmersb

Hi
    I'm using bug report to gather qualitative user feedback, e.g. screenshot and the user can write text. It's really awesome in that, because we don't need a backend, and because of the slack integration: my team instantly get's to see what users think of the app. Even better would be to be able to include more info in the slack, for example images. Is that on the way?

- what "parts" in Update() can I take away to save performance?
    - what would be the most simple way to just send text and a screenshot? Right now I'm using the prefab, but I think it is a bit overkill?
    - is it true that the prefab doesn't take into account errors in sending the report? To the user it seems the report is always send. even when there's no internetconnection.
    - can i use this in a live app or would that be a bad idea?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  15. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

We're working on including the thumbnail in Slack. Is there anything else you would like to see included?

You can speed up the BugReportingClient by turning off metrics. It's one of the configuration options passed to Configure(). However, depending on the platform, the client uses very little resources, even with metrics on. Without metrics, the client does very little work on update.

The prefab is very simple and is designed as a starting point. Tear it apart. Remove stuff. Add stuff. Make it whatever you need it to be. It doesn't display progress or errors, but it isn't difficult to add yourself, and we'll be adding it to a future version of the prefab.

You can use the BugReportingClient directly without using the prefab. See BugReportingScript.cs for reference, but it's probably unnecessary unless you're doing something unique.

You can use this in a live app. It's currently being used by many live apps with a large number of users.

Jelmersb likes this.
  16. Jelmersb

Jelmersb

OK thanks for clarification :)
    Regarding slack: my stakeholders hardly have an idea what Unity is, let alone that they have a Unity account :D
    So it would be great if I can pick which fields I pass to Slack (which would probably be the title and description)

17. Taky

Taky

Hi friends. Has anyone had success with the Jira integration? It appears we've entered all the correct information (the Jira integration appears in the "Integrations (Beta)" from the dashboard) We submit bugs, and they appear in the unity dashboard, but never seem to make it over to Jira. If anyone has had this work then I'll keep looking on my end. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  18. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

We identified and fixed an issue that we believe was causing this. Let us know if it is still not working for you.

Taky likes this.
  19. Taky

Taky

Yup! Everything seems to be working, bugs appearing in JIRA. One quick thing - deleting a bug in Jira does not delete it on the Unity side of things. And to delete a bug in the Unity Dashboard requires opening the bug and deleting. This will become a pretty arduous process for when we want to clean up the Unity Dashboard. Just a thought. Otherwise great job.

20. Taky

Taky

Not sure if there is more work going on with the Jira integration but we stopped getting reports sent to Jira about 2 days ago.

21. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Can you try again? We pushed a fix for that around 2:45PM Pacific time.

Edit: To clarify, by "try again" I mean deleting the old integration hook for JIRA and then re-adding it. That should fix it up.

22. RVC_Mike

RVC_Mike

I have an issue. Bug report works in the editor, but when I run in a build I get this.

UnityBugReportingPlatform.Post: 500 Internal Server Error

23. amateurhr

amateurhr

Would love to have integration with Asana and Email. If you support email, there's plenty of third-party services we can use to organize the information on another dashboard

24. RVC_Mike

RVC_Mike

Tested today and it appears to be working

25. io-games

io-games

getting message in console and no reports in dashboard
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityBugReportingPlatform.Post: Unable to complete SSL connection

26. RVC_Mike

RVC_Mike

Still have reliability issues:
    UnityBugReportingPlatform.Post: 408 Request Timeout

27. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

I've followed the link to enable bug reporting in my project, but it doesn't seem to do anything and just dumps me onto the page that lists all of my projects out. Has it been moved or closed off?

28. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Bug Reporting is now part of Unity Cloud Diagnostics. Documentation and setup instructions can be found here:

https://unitytech.github.io/clouddiagnostics/

Let us know if you have any questions.

29. dgoyette

dgoyette

A couple of questions:
    • In `UnityBugReporting.CurrentClient.SendBugReport', the progress callback takes two float arguments. The first seems to be a percentage which increments, but the second I don't understand. It seems to be all over the place, and it only starts changing after the first float reaches 100%. What does the second argument represent?
    • After submitting a report, it would be nice if I could tell my users something like, "Your bug, #XYZ, was submitted." I see that the bug report has an "identifier" field, but that's a GUID, and I'm not sure I can even see that value in the User Reports UI. Is there an integer value I've missed that represents a monotonically increasing bug report number for a project?

30. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

The first value is upload and the second value is download. Once upload reaches 100%, the download quickly follows.

Reports are identified by a GUID and don't have an incrementing number. What is your goal with this number?

I noticed that you're still using the Unity Bug Reporting SDK. This SDK will no longer function on February 1st. Please upgrade to the Unity User Reporting SDK as soon as possible. It should require minimal code changes.

https://unitytech.github.io/clouddiagnostics/UnityCloudDiagnosticsSettingUp.html

31. dgoyette

dgoyette

It's kind of like when you submit a Unity bug, and you get a FogBugz ticket number, and then say "I submitted #1115574 that I just ran into..." I just wanted to make it easier for people to tell me which issue they reported. I can use a guid if that's all there is, and just create a button that copies the guid to clipboard, but it's a bit less user friendly.

Thanks, I updated a couple of days ago.

32. mikest

mikest

Anyone have any insight into how to clear screenshots taken for User Reports? If I create multiple User Reports in the same session the screenshots stack up. That also leads me to think they are not disposing properly.

A method on UserReportingClient called ClearScreenshots is documented here, but in the latest version of the asset i don't see that it is actually implemented.

So I would expect this call to be correct but it doesn't actually exist.

UnityUserReporting.CurrentClient.ClearScreenshots()

EDIT: I've tried a few different ways to solve this like calling

UnityUserReportingUpdater.Reset()

or

UserReport.Screenshots.Clear();

but they don't solve the problem

33. dgoyette

dgoyette

I was having the same issue. `UnityBugReporting.Configure();` seems to do the trick. I call Configure prior to launching my feedback dialog. Prior to doing so, screenshots from the previous dialog would be included in all subsequence bug reports.

mikest and johng_unity like this.
  34. mikest

mikest

Thanks for the response. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

35. mikest

mikest

OK, so that did work to reset the screenshots, but there was another negative side effect: it seems to reset the capture of the output log as well. I guess i could add it as an attachment but that is a critical piece that seems necessary for this solution to work.

36. dgoyette

dgoyette

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the log issue. That's not ideal. I'm not sure if there's any more precise way to just reset screenshots without resetting everything.

37. mikest

mikest

It also resets all the captured data so you essentially get only a single frame.

I think the solution is to call Configure() on start and the n again only when a report is successfully submitted. That way you get all the data up to the point of the "bug" (in theory) and also don't get a bunch of screens that are already submitted. The downside is you might get multiple screens if the player opens and closes the report dialog (assuming that is when you capture a screenshot).