Search Unity

1. Going to #UniteBerlin? Bring a buddy & get 25% off the 2nd ticket! More info here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Famed game designer and creator of The Sims, SimCIty, and Spore is looking for a 3D artist to join their team. Join the challenge.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.4 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We've opened a new World Building sub-forum to faciltate all your world building discussions! Drop in and ask any ProBuilder, ProGrids, or PolyBrush questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Looking for participants to try Unity’s Bug Reporting (Alpha) service

Discussion in 'Unity Performance Reporting' started by johng_unity, Dec 12, 2017.

1. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Unity Developers,

We’d like to invite you to use a new cloud service from Unity called Unity Bug Reporting.

Unity Bug Reporting will make it easy for you, your testers, and your players to send bug reports and other feedback directly from within your game to your Unity Developer Dashboard.

You can easily review information such as form fields, metadata, logs, metrics, screenshots, and attachments. It is designed to get more feedback, better feedback, and faster feedback during all stages of development and after release.

Here is a brief video that highlights some of the features of bug reporting:

Get Started

Getting started is fast. Click the link below to enable Bug Reporting in the Developer Dashboard:

https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/bugreporting/preview/

Once you’ve done that, all the instructions for getting started can be found on your project page in the navigation under Bug Reports (Alpha) and then Support.

Download the SDK

https://bugreporting.cloud.unity3d.com/api/bugreporting/sdk

The SDK includes a Unity package. Import the package into your project, drag the BugReportingPrefab into your scene, and you’re done!

Send Feedback

If you encounter any issues or have any questions please email: bugreportingsupport@unity3d.com .

Looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    dadude123 likes this.
  2. liortal

liortal

can you give more detailed information on what this is, and what it does? (what is the experience like from the user's perspective, etc)

3. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Unity Bug Reporting allows reports to be sent from within your game to your developer dashboard. These reports can include a summary, form fields (description, comments), device metadata (platform, hardware), events (console-like data), metrics (profiler-like data), screenshots, and attachments. You can even take screenshots from multiple camera angles.

Some of this data is gathered for you, but you can easily add your own.

From the user’s perspective, the experience is up to you since you create the UI. However, we’ve provided a prefab that provides a basic starting point. Here is the default UI:

PrefabUI.png

You can even send reports automatically without showing a form, but make sure you get permission from your users to do so.

Here is what a report looks like on your developer dashboard:

DashboardUI.png

Even if you're far from release, this service can be very useful for capturing detailed information during debugging and play testing.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

4. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Additionally, we've put together a brief video that highlights some of the features of the Bug Reporting service:

5. Korindian

Korindian

Does the bug report also include the output_log.txt in case we have some Debug.Log/LogWarning/Error info? I've built my own bug reporting service using a UI Canvas panel which sends device info, a screenshot, description/comments, as well as any console debug statements. It sends an email to my web server which then emails the whole report to me.

If this can handle the same thing, I'd rather depend on Unity's service than my limited lack of web programming. Curious about the price, whether it will be included in Plus/Pro, etc. Thanks.

6. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

The bug reports include the console output.

You can also attach arbitrary files to bug reports, so you could manually attach output_log.txt to the bug report.

Pricing has yet to be determined, but our current plan is that some level of functionality will always be free to use.

Korindian likes this.
  7. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

The bug reporting dashboard is currently down for maintenance. The server is still accepting bug reports. I will update this post when it is back online.

It should be back online now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. Jilljoy

Jilljoy

Hi i've just seen this forum post/video attached. I found this post after doing some digging as this quote below intrigued me and had a solution to a problem we've been having.
    First of all will the new bug reporting alpha mean no existing changes are going to be made to the performance reporting? Second what is the expected development timeline for bug reporting?

Our particular issue was with only being allowed a 255 character limit on exception messages. We want to send our full request form data in the error report. Sometimes this is 750+ characters. I'd love to hear about the future of this cloud service as I think it could highly benefit our upcoming product.

9. Genebris

Genebris

How to I get access to the service? Link in the first post doesn't seem to do anything for me. Bug Reporting just doesn't appear in my project dashboard.

10. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@Jilljoy - The 255 character limit on the exception message no longer exists. However, if your exception message is large it won't necessarily display nicely on the dashboard.

Also, the new bug reporting alpha does not mean there will be no more changes to performance reporting. We actually have a bunch of dashboard improvements for Performance Reporting rolling out very soon and have a bunch of features in our backlog that we are working on.

11. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@Genebris --- apologies for the inconvenience. The link is currently not working and but should be fixed tomorrow.

Genebris likes this.
  12. Jilljoy

Jilljoy

Great to hear that the character is no longer in effect. However we have a project on Unity 2017.1.1f1 and the character limit for Debug.LogException() seems to still be 255. Has this been remedied in a future version ?

Regarding the upcoming features for Performance Reporting, are they available to view somewhere or will we hear about them closer to the release date?

13. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Jilljoy --

Apologies, when I made that post, I was thinking only of the server-side, for which we no longer have a 255 character limit. However, you're right, you are still limited to 255 in the client/engine. We're exploring increasing that limit but don't have a timeframe/target version at the moment. Sorry for the confusion.

With regard to the upcoming features, the post below has more details on the new Performance Reporting features and how to participate in the Performance Reporting Preview:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/performance-reporting-dashboard-update.519920/

14. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

15. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

This is pretty cool! Thanks!

16. dotsquid

dotsquid

Hi. Thanks for yet another handy service.

It seems currently attachment download does not work in Chrome (tested on latest 65.0.3325.181) on Windows. Downloading in Safari on Mac and Firefox on Windows works fine.
    I tried using "text/plain" and "application/json" (I attached a json) mime-types as content type. Both failed (I guess it actually does not depend on content type).

17. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Check Chrome's pop-up blocker. An icon will appear on the far right of the address bar. We're currently looking into this issue, but it's likely due to the way in which we secure attachment downloads.

18. dotsquid

dotsquid

Yes. At first it blocked a pop-up window. I allowed any pop-ups from developer.cloud.unity3d.com but the problem remains.

19. Jilljoy

Jilljoy

I'm using Windows 10, Chrome Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit) and i can download the file fine.

20. dotsquid

dotsquid

I've got the same spec, but unfortunately can't download. I see that a new tab appears and immediately closes.

21. BravoCowen

BravoCowen

I don't seem to be able to delete reports via the unity dashboard. Is this a known issue?

Genebris likes this.
  22. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the message. We're working on a fix for this. I'll update this thread when it is fixed.

23. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

I see a bug. If report don't have attached screenshot, then other attachments existed in report cannot be downloaded by click on them.

24. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@BravoCowen --- We've made an update to fix the delete issue. Keep in mind that deletes can currently take up to a minute to take effect. Bug reports will also be deleted from the server after 30 days.

25. BravoCowen

BravoCowen

Great! thanks for the update John. The QA team here are pretty excited about this.

johng_unity likes this.