Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Looking for participants to try Unity’s Bug Reporting (Alpha) service

Discussion in 'Unity Performance Reporting' started by johng_unity, Dec 12, 2017.

1. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Unity Developers,

We’d like to invite you to use a new cloud service from Unity called Unity Bug Reporting.

Unity Bug Reporting will make it easy for you, your testers, and your players to send bug reports and other feedback directly from within your game to your Unity Developer Dashboard.

You can easily review information such as form fields, metadata, logs, metrics, screenshots, and attachments. It is designed to get more feedback, better feedback, and faster feedback during all stages of development and after release.

Here is a brief video that highlights some of the features of bug reporting:

Get Started

Getting started is fast. Click the link below to enable Bug Reporting in the Developer Dashboard:

https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/bugreporting/preview/

Once you’ve done that, all the instructions for getting started can be found on your project page in the navigation under Bug Reports (Alpha) and then Support.

Download the SDK

https://bugreporting.cloud.unity3d.com/api/bugreporting/sdk

The SDK includes a Unity package. Import the package into your project, drag the BugReportingPrefab into your scene, and you’re done!

Send Feedback

If you encounter any issues or have any questions please email: bugreportingsupport@unity3d.com .

Looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    dadude123 likes this.
  2. liortal

liortal

can you give more detailed information on what this is, and what it does? (what is the experience like from the user's perspective, etc)

3. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Unity Bug Reporting allows reports to be sent from within your game to your developer dashboard. These reports can include a summary, form fields (description, comments), device metadata (platform, hardware), events (console-like data), metrics (profiler-like data), screenshots, and attachments. You can even take screenshots from multiple camera angles.

Some of this data is gathered for you, but you can easily add your own.

From the user’s perspective, the experience is up to you since you create the UI. However, we’ve provided a prefab that provides a basic starting point. Here is the default UI:

PrefabUI.png

You can even send reports automatically without showing a form, but make sure you get permission from your users to do so.

Here is what a report looks like on your developer dashboard:

DashboardUI.png

Even if you're far from release, this service can be very useful for capturing detailed information during debugging and play testing.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

4. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Additionally, we've put together a brief video that highlights some of the features of the Bug Reporting service:

5. Korindian

Korindian

Does the bug report also include the output_log.txt in case we have some Debug.Log/LogWarning/Error info? I've built my own bug reporting service using a UI Canvas panel which sends device info, a screenshot, description/comments, as well as any console debug statements. It sends an email to my web server which then emails the whole report to me.

If this can handle the same thing, I'd rather depend on Unity's service than my limited lack of web programming. Curious about the price, whether it will be included in Plus/Pro, etc. Thanks.

6. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

The bug reports include the console output.

You can also attach arbitrary files to bug reports, so you could manually attach output_log.txt to the bug report.

Pricing has yet to be determined, but our current plan is that some level of functionality will always be free to use.

Korindian likes this.
  7. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

The bug reporting dashboard is currently down for maintenance. The server is still accepting bug reports. I will update this post when it is back online.

It should be back online now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. Jilljoy

Jilljoy

Hi i've just seen this forum post/video attached. I found this post after doing some digging as this quote below intrigued me and had a solution to a problem we've been having.
    First of all will the new bug reporting alpha mean no existing changes are going to be made to the performance reporting? Second what is the expected development timeline for bug reporting?

Our particular issue was with only being allowed a 255 character limit on exception messages. We want to send our full request form data in the error report. Sometimes this is 750+ characters. I'd love to hear about the future of this cloud service as I think it could highly benefit our upcoming product.

9. Genebris

Genebris

How to I get access to the service? Link in the first post doesn't seem to do anything for me. Bug Reporting just doesn't appear in my project dashboard.

10. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@Jilljoy - The 255 character limit on the exception message no longer exists. However, if your exception message is large it won't necessarily display nicely on the dashboard.

Also, the new bug reporting alpha does not mean there will be no more changes to performance reporting. We actually have a bunch of dashboard improvements for Performance Reporting rolling out very soon and have a bunch of features in our backlog that we are working on.

11. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@Genebris --- apologies for the inconvenience. The link is currently not working and but should be fixed tomorrow.

Genebris likes this.
  12. Jilljoy

Jilljoy

Great to hear that the character is no longer in effect. However we have a project on Unity 2017.1.1f1 and the character limit for Debug.LogException() seems to still be 255. Has this been remedied in a future version ?

Regarding the upcoming features for Performance Reporting, are they available to view somewhere or will we hear about them closer to the release date?

13. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Jilljoy --

Apologies, when I made that post, I was thinking only of the server-side, for which we no longer have a 255 character limit. However, you're right, you are still limited to 255 in the client/engine. We're exploring increasing that limit but don't have a timeframe/target version at the moment. Sorry for the confusion.

With regard to the upcoming features, the post below has more details on the new Performance Reporting features and how to participate in the Performance Reporting Preview:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/performance-reporting-dashboard-update.519920/

14. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

15. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

This is pretty cool! Thanks!

16. dotsquid

dotsquid

Hi. Thanks for yet another handy service.

It seems currently attachment download does not work in Chrome (tested on latest 65.0.3325.181) on Windows. Downloading in Safari on Mac and Firefox on Windows works fine.
    I tried using "text/plain" and "application/json" (I attached a json) mime-types as content type. Both failed (I guess it actually does not depend on content type).

17. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Check Chrome's pop-up blocker. An icon will appear on the far right of the address bar. We're currently looking into this issue, but it's likely due to the way in which we secure attachment downloads.

18. dotsquid

dotsquid

Yes. At first it blocked a pop-up window. I allowed any pop-ups from developer.cloud.unity3d.com but the problem remains.

19. Jilljoy

Jilljoy

I'm using Windows 10, Chrome Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit) and i can download the file fine.

20. dotsquid

dotsquid

I've got the same spec, but unfortunately can't download. I see that a new tab appears and immediately closes.

21. BravoCowen

BravoCowen

I don't seem to be able to delete reports via the unity dashboard. Is this a known issue?

Genebris likes this.
  22. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the message. We're working on a fix for this. I'll update this thread when it is fixed.

23. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

I see a bug. If report don't have attached screenshot, then other attachments existed in report cannot be downloaded by click on them.

24. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@BravoCowen --- We've made an update to fix the delete issue. Keep in mind that deletes can currently take up to a minute to take effect. Bug reports will also be deleted from the server after 30 days.

25. BravoCowen

BravoCowen

Great! thanks for the update John. The QA team here are pretty excited about this.

johng_unity likes this.
  26. charlierby

charlierby

Is it a known issue that when you send multiple bug reports subsequently, screenshots will pile up? So the first bug report will contain one screenshot, the second one the screenshot from the first and a new one, etc.

27. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

This behavior is intentional. A certain number of screenshots are kept (the default is 10). Once you reach the limit, new screenshots will cause old screenshots to be discarded. If you want to limit the number of screenshots to 1 or 2, you can configure the client with these settings (using UnityBugReporting.Configure) or you can remove the unwanted screenshots from the bug report before sending it.

Remember, you can take screenshots at any time, and not just when creating a bug report. A sequence of screenshots leading up to the issue can be very helpful for debugging.

You can also reconfigure Bug Reporting (using UnityBugReporting.Configure) after sending a bug report to completely reset the client.

28. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

We have problems with downloading attachments to the bug report. Instead of our json file inside the attachment, there is an html document of the form:

<!doctype html>
    <html lang="{{lang}}" class="no-js" ng-app="UnityCloudDeveloperDashboard" ng-controller="AppCtrl">
    <head>
    <base href="/" />
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title ng-bind="ngMeta.title"></title>
    <meta name="description" content="Unity Developer Dashboard">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">
    <!-- favicon -->
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/images/favicon.ico" />
    <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/images/favicon.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="152x152" href="/images/apple-touch-icon-152x152.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="144x144" href="/images/apple-touch-icon-144x144.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="120x120" href="/images/apple-touch-icon-120x120.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="114x114" href="/images/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" sizes="72x72" href="/images/apple-touch-icon-72x72.png" />
    <link rel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="/images/apple-touch-icon.png" />

29. orthograph

orthograph

same here

30. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

31. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

I would like to ask for some improvements in the UI. I noted in the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/jeobx8
    1) There is not enough width of the field to see the full name of the parameter.
    2) Add please the ability to open a report in a new window. Now the report opens only in the current one. And when you return, you have to adjust the filter each time.

32. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@MihaPro_CarX and @orthograph --- The issue with downloading attachments and bug reports should now be fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

33. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

Just checked. The problem as a whole remained. But now instead of the contents of the file, two characters are always downloaded - two brackets: "{}". I checked on several browsers, on the newly installed Chrome. Even attachments created by the example from the SDK open the same way. But if you download the entire report in the form of a json file, it clearly shows the attach bodies in the dataBase64 field.

34. Mahgo

Mahgo

Yeah I have the same issue.

35. JJJohan

JJJohan

I fear it may be a stretch to ask this, but are there any plans to add an API similar to the TakeScreenshot feature to allow a short recording, either as a small video or a simple GIF image sequence. I'm thinking of using this tool to expose it to our internal teams for reporting issues but often things are recorded for clarification. Otherwise I'll try and look at some alternatives and attach their output instead.

36. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@MihaPro_CarX @orthograph @Mahgo --- There was an issue with our original fix for the downloading issue but it should be fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

sirxeno likes this.
  37. MihaPro_CarX

MihaPro_CarX

Now download attachments works as it should. Thanks for fixing.

38. dotsquid

dotsquid

SDK contains an example with weird code. Specifically, it starts a coroutine in Update method:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void Update()
    2.     {
    3.         UnityBugReporting.CurrentClient.IsSelfReporting = this.IsSelfReporting;
    4.         UnityBugReporting.CurrentClient.SendEventsToAnalytics = this.SendEventsToAnalytics;
    5.         if (this.BugReportButton != null)
    6.         {
    7.             this.BugReportButton.interactable = this.State == BugReportingState.Idle;
    8.         }
    9.         if (this.BugReportForm != null)
    10.         {
    11.             this.BugReportForm.enabled = this.State == BugReportingState.ShowingForm;
    12.         }
    13.         if (this.SubmittingPopup != null)
    14.         {
    15.             this.SubmittingPopup.enabled = this.State == BugReportingState.SubmittingForm;
    16.         }
    17.         this.unityBugReportingUpdater.Reset();
    18.         this.StartCoroutine(this.unityBugReportingUpdater);
    19.     }
    This code takes up to 5ms on Xiaomi Mi4c (Snapdragon 808)
    upload_2018-5-16_13-57-51.png

39. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

Hi,

This is a great service but the UX is really not that great. I'm going to try to explain why :

* First, Unity service website is really, really slow (at least here in France, even with optic fiber)
    * We more reports per page
    * We need a delete button right on the report, having to open one (which is sloooow) and then delete is a pain
    * An archive mode or todo/done/deleted system would be great after the alpha

Unity tools are supposed to be used by professionals, but that usually mean tools which are fast, and allow me to see what I need to see. Right now there is not enough data displayed at a gland, and it's too slow in general.

40. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Hi,

My first bug report for this is: "it's bad you're calling it bug reporting". Because even in your own documentation, you have customer/user feedback such as "game is too hard".

Now, a lot of developers need feedback more than bugs, I think and bugs can be under that umbrella. A small thing, but something to think of with the naming. Bug, or feedback? Feels kind of sillycalling difficult section or unenjoyable section a "bug".

https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/images/bug-reporting/All.png

Those examples don't seem technically bugs but just subjective feedback. Food for thought.

dotsquid likes this.
  41. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

Ho, and please, please, please, you NEED to implement a way to create a gitlab/github issue from a report.

That's a must have, without it no serious studio can use the tool as-is imho, it would involve too much handwork.

Not sure if you would can, but doing something about stacktrace displaying would also be a welcome upgrade

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  42. Mahgo

Mahgo

I agree, JIRA integration would be awesome too.

43. Mahgo

Mahgo

I agree, that's some pretty messy code, even for an alpha.

44. Mahgo

Mahgo

Yeah a stack trace for the Events is pretty important, I got an error "NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required." but without a stack trace it's pretty difficult to trace the issue

45. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

This coroutine is responsible for updating the bug reporting client and then waiting until the end of the frame to handle screenshot operations. It takes place within a single update.

Screenshotting is currently a heavy process which will cause heavy spikes. Averaged over time, these spikes are probably responsible for the 5ms.

For more detailed metrics, you can download a bug report. The downloaded report will have client metrics saved within it.

One of our major upcoming features is asynchronous, low overhead screenshotting.

46. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback.

The bug reporting services is currently lacking any sort of workflow functionality. The delete functionality is provided for removing questionable or offensive content or for removing content at the request of a player, which shouldn't (hopefully) be a common occurrence. That being said, it makes sense that people are using it for workflow in the meantime.

I'll forward the dashboard feedback to the dashboard team. Hopefully we can get those issues fixed as soon as possible.

47. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback.

The name is definitely something we're discussing. It's primarily a debugging tool, but it's great for feedback too! I wouldn't be surprised if it has a new name in the near future.

48. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Our first integration of this nature will be Jira, which should be available very soon. I'll add GitLab and GitHub to our list of possible integrations. Trello is also something we're considering.

Regarding built-in workflow, our plan is to allow people to use the service for awhile and collect feedback before determining what workflow would work best.

49. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

If you have access to the exception you can manually add it to the log with LogEvent().

50. Mahgo

Mahgo

I'm not going to have access to most exceptions that are thrown (without try-catching everything) so that wouldn't be an option. Is it possible for the Bug Report to automatically gather this when gathering the Events?