Search Unity

Looking for mentor

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by egartnuc, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egartnuc

egartnuc

Hi,

I assume this is a semi-rare post, but I thought what the hell.

Im looking for a mentor. To talk to, discuss code solutions and unity implementations with as Im working on a project. But maybe most of all someone to talk to when motivation is on a low.

My professional field is far from programming, this is a hobby of mine. Im in my thirties and have a family.

Im a pretty new user of Unity and I’m working on a game that I wanted to make for a while. Basically I decided one day that Im gonna make this, so I downloaded Unity and started learning. I realized quickly that I wont get anywhere quick without studying some, so I took 2 courses on coursera. This helped immensely.

Im looking for someone to chat with on skype/discord, discuss thoughts and concepts/pseudo-code with, and perhaps a person who would get something out of mentoring a beginner as well. Im a fast learner, Im pretty stubborn, and Im funny as hell. Im well-organized.

So if anyone feels this would be a fun friendship, write an answer here or a message in private.

Thanks for reading.

BR
    Tomas

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Hey, Thomas. Hang in there! As a fellow mid-30s guy with a wife and two kids, I can appreciate the difficulty in learning something as complex as game development with whatever limited free time you have. You keep at it, though, and you'll do alright.

This forum makes for a great place to ask questions (especially when you have specific problems), and can even be encouraging at times. I'm working on formalizing a mentorship program that I intend to offer on contract, but until then, when you have anything you want to talk about, feel free to hit me up.

Best of luck!

XiradGamer likes this.
  3. egartnuc

egartnuc

Thank you for your reply, @Schneider21 - I thought I replied earlier but guess a diaper change came in the way. Well as you say it is complex. But oh how fun I'm having. I appreciate it and will keep it in mind.

Take care!

4. XiradGamer

XiradGamer

Tomas can I ask what coursera courses you took? You can send me a PM reply if they frown on potentially advertising learning resources, etc.

Thanks!

Wayne

5. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

PM me for whatever you need. Though unfortunately I don't have a camera or a mic to do Skype nor voice chat, the good old-fashion letter system will work. I enjoy arguing code solutions and learning as much as helping others to learn. Feel free to contact me then!

6. ialokinmloh

ialokinmloh

I guess this is a necro-post, but what about setting up a discord?

Because I'm a mid-thirties guy building a game as a hobby, and I haven't done much coding since I was in highschool. I'd love to have a peer community for real-time chatting about solutions, rather than prowling stackexchange etc until I find someone with a close enough problem...

7. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

We really don't need necroposting, especially on threads that come up time and time again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.