Search Unity

Looking for help understanding Z position in relation to 2D particle systems

Discussion in '2D' started by adambossy, May 28, 2020.

1. adambossy

adambossy

Hello, I have been tinkering with particle systems for the past couple weeks and I mostly reason about them in two dimensions. I have a hard time reasoning about them because of the Z axis. I have a few questions about this:

* My particle system's Scale has a Z value. Does this mean particles can be emitted and move along the Z axis? I'd prefer they maintain a Z position of zero, consistent with other game objects, to avoid unexpected interactions, should as failing to collide with a layer, accidentally being occluded by a layer, or failing to interact with a force field.
    * I've introduce a particle system force field with a hemisphere shape which wants to rotate on the Z axis. Rotating it on the X or Y axis seems to reflect a rotation that's taking place in 3D. It's fine if the Z value is sitting there doing nothing, but now I'm unsure about how to reason about the direction this force field is pointing.

2. PuppyPolice

PuppyPolice

Yes the particle can move in the Z axis since it is not limited to just 2d after all

3. adambossy

adambossy

Is there a good way to prevent it from moving along the Z axis?