Search Unity

Looking for help for world design and instancing!

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Tipperty, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Tipperty

Tipperty

Hello,

I am looking for help on learning how to set up a tile isometric game, specifically how I would like the world structured is.

Galaxy world, where each or some tiles would have its own instance or point of interest, for example, explore tile, mission tile, and system tile.

System tiles, again these would have other instances or points of interest, for example, combat tile, explore tile, harvesting tile, and world tile.

World tiles, these again would have repeated tiles as above, for example, combat tiles, exploring tiles, mission tiles, and base tiles.

Base tiles, would be a permanent tile where the player would build or construct a base. for example. Each base would have a 20x20 tiles set(number to be determined at a later date) the individual tile would be fully interactable allowing the player to choose which building could be constructed on it.

I am new to game design and unity, as some of you might have guessed, but I have a lot of determination and willingness to learn. I am not looking for anyone to painstakingly talk me through the ABC of it, but pointing out which unity learning courses and tutorials which might help me start working towards my goals would be mightly appreciated.

2. digiross

digiross

There are some really good Udemy courses (use sale or coupon codes to get them cheap), also there are a few really good youtubers with vast tutorials.

Some tips:
    1) Be patient
    2) Practice with small games
    3) Finish a project
    4) Support above project
    5) Plan your dream game
    6) Break your dream game up into manageable chunks
    7) Code away
    8) Enjoy!

3. Tipperty

Tipperty

Any links to those courses and youtubers. I have found a few, but none of them seem to cover the points I am looking for. Most if not all are very basic where they teach you about what a tileset is and how to place it and/or resize them and generally that is about it.

I would love to find a point to point course that helps explain world-building, then transition from one map or instance to another, set up scripted or dynamic events like, wondering hostiles, NPC, day/night cycles etc.

I am sure they are out there, I am just not having any luck finding them.