Search Unity

Feedback Looking for feedback on our asset store pages

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by macalpineventures, May 15, 2021.

1. macalpineventures

macalpineventures

Hello there!

We've been working tirelessly recently submitting subtle optimisations, tweaks and changes to our store pages for ELENA and MIKHAIL. The response towards the assets themselves so far has been fantastic, and I'll personally be forever grateful for that; it is an incredibly gratifying feeling as a designer...

But(!) we'd love to hear your opinions and first impressions of the storefront pages too.
    • Does the pricing seem too steep?
    • Do the models look too specific or niche for your projects?
    • Is there a piece of information lacking from the description?
    • Are there any screenshots or videos that you think are missing that would further ease your mind about the purchase?
    • Anything else?
    We have many more high-quality assets on the way, and we'd love to be able to serve you in the best possible way not just now but also well into the future, so any feedback we receive would help us out massively.

Many thanks in advance,
    Calum @ MacAlpine Ventures

Store page links:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...na-customizable-soldier-character-pack-182415

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...il-customizable-soldier-character-pack-193126

2. BetaMark

BetaMark

My first impressions from viewing the asset store were these:
    * PRO: AAA quality.
    * PRO: Looks like MetaHuman level details in Unity. This is awesome.
    (But I would want to see it with Unity's shaders in engine to know for sure before I commit this price)
    * CON: as an indie developer, if this doesn't come with a character controller for all those features, it will take more more time than I can afford to connect it up to my controller.
    * CON: Since both of the characters are only posed in present day combat gear, I can't imagine using the avatars in a fantasy, civilian, or sci-fi environment without having to hire an pro level 3d artist to tweak the model.
    * CON: face says its rigged, but without animation of the face talking and expressing emotions, I can't judge how well it will work without getting an artist to tweak it.

Generally, when I'm looking for an avatar for my games, I'm trying to find one that won't be a heavy lift to get into the game with my character controller, one that will be low poly enough that I can have a handful of this quality avatar on the screen, and that the rig will look good enough up for close up cutscenes with facial animations and voice acting.

I also assume that I'll need more than one or two humanoid avatars for my game, so when I'm shopping for them, I am often looking for a pack of avatars, or ones that has many options such as changing the head shape, face, hair, the skin tone, etc. Failing that, I look for an artist that has a large catalog up on the Asset store so that I can stick with the same artist for all my avatars, even if I have to buy them separately.

macalpineventures likes this.
  3. macalpineventures

macalpineventures

That is fantastic and very detailed feedback, thank you so much! I agree with your points, and I believe all of the cons you mentioned are easily addressable on our end so we will endeavour to do exactly that.

Also, thanks a lot for the kind compliment regarding detail! The showcase videos are in fact using Unity Standard shaders, so perhaps we will add a disclaimer to clarify that somewhere.

Thanks again,

4. BetaMark

BetaMark

That is really impressive that your animation examples are done in unity -- but I saw that tiny bit of playback UI in the bottom right of your videos and had assumed that you were using a 3d animation tool to do the render. If you are going to have a video showing off the avatars, perhaps have them walk around in a unity demo scene and just leave the Unity UI in the video.

Also, since you say that these work with built in, URP, and HDRP, it might be worth showing what your asset looks like in each? I almost *never* use HDRP, because I know I can't hire an artist to get the best out of HDRP, and I have friends who refuse to leave PBR/Built in rendering -- so it would help the indie developer understand how this will look for them in their project immediately.

5. macalpineventures

macalpineventures

Ah yes, that is an interesting point. We actually just used the Gyazo screen recording tool to video record the "Game" view in the Unity Editor which is why there are playback controls in the bottom right, but I'll take that as a massive compliment that your first impression was that it was a rendering! Although, we will definitely look to further clarify that our previews are all in-engine.

Also, that's a really good idea too regarding URP/HDRP previews. The differences are incredibly subtle, to be honest, but I suppose that still needs to be showcased somewhere.

Thanks again for your incredibly in-depth feedback! We're getting to work right away to make improvements.

BetaMark likes this.