Search Unity

Looking for existing game? Over-the-shoulder 3rd person camera w/ click to move

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by fetish, Jan 23, 2018.

1. fetish

fetish

I'm working on a personal project - a moba-like game, with the rub that it uses a 3rd person camera (similar to Star Wars Battlefront 2, over-the-shoulder 3rd person) *and* uses a click to move interface like traditional MOBA's rather than WASD for movement.

Are there other games like this that already implement this? Smite and Paragon are both WASD games, so they're out, and most other MOBAs are birds-eye 3rd person or isometric cameras. Any hints?

Thanks!

2. frosted

frosted

Only games I could think of would be games where you're sending commands to guys while moving, or like 3rd person tower defense style games.

Click to move w/ 3rd person camera sounds like a recipe for unhappiness unless you got some very clever stuff going on.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

The closest thing that comes to mind was The Witcher 1, and it was terrible. So here's the main rub, won't it make more sense to have an interface in which most of it's inputs are valid? Unless the player can move on walls, most people won't like having to parse what is and is not a valid target to move to.

4. fetish

fetish

The interface will be identical to popular mobas - the only thing that's changing is the placement of the camera.

5. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

What benefit does this bring? Is that benefit worth the cost of "contradicting" players' years of experience with top-down click-to-move games and direct input third person games?

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

When I tried to get my girlfriend to play the Witcher series she seemed to greatly prefer the click to move style of controls. It might be something still common in MMOs, maybe? I don't play any, so I wouldn't know.

7. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

The interface is everything you can interact with, which in most MOBA's is predominantly the map. Ergo, changing the perspective is drastically changing the interface.

I'll take a guess and assume it's because she likes to only use the mouse normally. Granted there was also a janky bias since you have to click on everything to interact with it.

8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

9. fetish

fetish

Irrelevant. The point is to do it and explore!

10. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Well there's nothing wrong with exploring that, but I guarantee it's already been explored, and there's a reason it isn't used.

But if you can use the design drawbacks in your game somehow, then by all means go for it.

11. fetish

fetish

You should note that the title of this thread is literally asking for existing examples (of which you provided no examples), and not critiques of if the system is good or not. Please consider the value of your contributions before replying to me next time before posting. Thanks.

12. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

It's always good to have a devils advocate make you question your decisions. Maybe you feel like you're being condescended upon, but so what if a person on the internet misjudges you?

13. fetish

fetish

There's a time and place for that, and this space explicitly isn't that. "Devil's Advocate" isn't "durrrr that's dumb", it's "wait, what about this alternative?". His comments added, quite literally, nothing to the conversation, other than aggravating the OP (me)

14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

That's your fault, not his.

All they did was offer a word of caution.

15. fetish

fetish

How's that now?

16. pk_Holzbaum

pk_Holzbaum

This is the Game Design forum. Asking for existing examples ist not a Game Design question. If you do not want any discussion about the design choice, then you are clearly in the wrong place.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I bowed out and I'll bow out again because I don't want to dominate your discussion. But saying this is ridiculous and I hope you realize that if you read my posts. I did not in any way say "that's dumb."

I questioned what benefit it offered. And by the way, when a couple people in my own thread did this (questioned my premise without providing examples) a few hours ago, I tried to present a convincing argument for doing what I wanted to do, and respected what they said to me afterwards without going "get outta my thread!"

Anyway.

As far as your original topic is concerned, only 1-2 people have provided examples, implying it's a very small list of games, and that you likely won't get many more examples. Make of that what you will.

18. fetish

fetish

I can see that you simply aren't getting it. Popping in to someone's thread to offer nothing of value - and on a different topic at that, is simply rude. Other people may disagree, but i'm *telling you* how it looks from here.