Search Unity

Looking For Drawing 2D Animation Tutorials

Discussion in '2D' started by kenaochreous, Oct 14, 2016.

1. kenaochreous

kenaochreous

I've been drawing static 2D sprites for a while and now i would like to learn how to draw entire animations for my sprites. Are there any in depth tutorials for draw individual frames of animation for pixel based sprites? Preferably for basic top down 2D sprites similar to Hotline Miami's or Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past's. From what i understand you need to know how the pixels transition from frame to frame and make the transition seamless. But I'm often unsure of what I'm looking at when I closely examine say a top down 2D sprite from Hotline Miami. How do you make one frame of animation connect to another and how does it make sense to the player from a visual perspective?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

pixeljoint is probably your best bet for getting the info you seek.
    From a general animation standpoint the most important points to keep in mind is the 12 principles of animation, especially arcs and timing (imo). Although when considering pixel animation, the artist has to keep in mind frame count and keeping the animations manageable for the interaction, more frames = less responsive action for the player, and larger file size.
    Exaggeration, anticipation and follow through will be limited based on how much snap the artist wants to have and the number of frames the animation has to be (for responsiveness). Exaggeration/Anticipation are visual keys for players to react to an attack, but this could be one 'hold' frame when the sprite pulses with an effect via shader or other method - not directly associated with extra drawn frames of the animation.

The less frames an animation has the more the art is relying on the viewer/player to interpret the motion. Some animations can get away with only two frames - while others may need a breakdown (inbetween) frame between the start/end frame to form the motion.
    Example if you want to show a character throwing a hook instead of a jab, the least amount of frames that will be needed for the hook is 3 because the hook is an arching punch, where as a jab could minimally be drawn in 2 frames arm back and arm extended. The jab is a straight punch so it can be represented in only 2 frames. This is only slightly true because the artist could really minimally draw a hook in only two frames with the beginning and end frame looking different compared to a jab, but here the artist is relying on the player to see the difference in those frame compared to the 2 frame jab punch. And since a hook takes longer to throw than a straight jab - representing it in 3 frames instead of 2 frames is closer to reality.
    Keep arcs in mind when considering how many frames an animation needs. Straight movements need less frames, and will look snappier with less frames.
    Arching motions need more frames, usually a minimum of 3.
    And then the artist will have to decide - is there exaggeration, follow through, slow in/out, squash & stretch. All these can add to the frame count.

With your example I'm guessing your looking to show convincing animations with the least amount of frames per motion. Beginning and end poses are most important for showing motion using the least amount of frames.

kenaochreous likes this.