Search Unity

Looking for asset(s) for a series of animations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EwanRGR, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Working on a multi-branch story, and while there are multiple answers for my characters, I am having a difficult time putting together a group of assets that look like they belong together. Setting is a camping area in Northern California. I'm not that worried about accurate trees and such (I mean I need trees, but am not a stickler for which species). I also need to have some buildings I can enter (cabins), a mess hall, trails, and a cave area. I can find assets for each one of these, but they look SO different that it's pretty obvious that they don't really belong together. Thought about getting one of the Polygon tools to "cartoonify" everything, but not sure that would really fix it.

Thoughts, suggestions, pointers appreciated.

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

what about the blacksmith demo.. think it has a handful of those things

3. Rombie

Rombie

You should reskin the models with new textures so they blend well together. Or consider hiring an artist to do the work.

If you need any ref images or such I might be able to help out. I'm located in Northern Cali.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  4. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Has some of those things, but not all. Interiors in particular are not going to give a "summer camp" vibe :)

Appreciate the thought though!

5. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

I have quite a few photos from around the Lake Mendancino (sp?) area where I am setting this. Of course I'd ideally like to take a Google Street View version from around there, but then still would have to add the cabins and the cave. Thanks for the suggestion and the offer.

Rombie likes this.
  6. Billy4184

Billy4184

I definitely think that any game developer who doesn't hire an artist should learn how to texture things. Really the coherence of a scene is 99% the textures (color range, detail level, effects, baked AO, so on). Models have little to no effect on the coherence of a scene IMO except where the model is either ridiculously different in complexity to everything else, or simply doesn't belong (i.e. an industrial building in the middle of a Skyrim game).

So my advice is: get Substance Designer/Painter or whatever other software you like, buy a pack of textures that fit actoss the objects in your scene (or learn to make decent ones yourself), buy some of the billions of great models floating around on the internet and asset store, and start texturing your models. With Subst Designer/Painter for example, it shouldn't take more that an hour or two to texture a prop to a decent level, if you have the different textures already with you.