Search Unity

Looking for advice on updating the game on launch

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Thimble2600, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Thimble2600

Thimble2600

I'm hoping to release a multiplayer game online for friends to help me alpha test and I'm wondering how I can deploy the game so that the next time a player launches the program, it updates so that they're playing on the most recent build.

Sorta like how Steam updates its games before launch.

I haven't the foggiest clue on how to go about doing this so any advice would be splendid.

2. bphillips09

bphillips09

What's your target platform? If it's PC/Mac/Linux Standalone, you should consider a launcher with a patching system.

Essentially, your players would run the launcher, which will then check your server for updates. If an update exists, the launcher will download either the entire executable file and associated files (such as the Data folder) or just what files have changed (recommended, uses less internet bandwidth and there is less to download). If an update doesn't exist, the player can just select "Play" or whatever button you have that launches the game's executable.

There exist some already pre-built patching systems for Unity. I don't have any experience with any of them, but I've read good reviews of P.A.T.C.H in the Asset Store.

If your platform is Console, I think Xbox/PS4 handle this automatically. At least on Xbox, when I launch a game that is out-of-date, it will notify me "This game needs to be updated....".

If your platform is Mobile (iOS/Android), I don't think this is really possible without using the App Store/Play Store. You could roll-your-own patching system for mobile that allows the app to detect what files have changed (similar to what Fortnite for iOS does), but you'd be limited to anything that's already in the scene unless you load resources at runtime.

Thimble2600 likes this.
  3. Thimble2600

Thimble2600

Heya, thanks for your post. I don't have a server but I've just had a quick peak at Simple Patch Tool on the asset store and apparently I can use my GoogleDrive as a server for the patch. I'll give that a try and see how things go.