Search Unity

Looking for advice on developing "game" aimed at paediatric patients

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Oligo, May 17, 2015.

1. Oligo

Oligo

Hello,

Over July I will be developing a “game” that will be used on iPads in hospital wards in the UK. The aim of the app will be to help young paediatric patients (ages 1-3) understand that a procedure (such as, a dressing change) will be painful.

The plan is that the child drags icons (sprites) or 3D objects, in the correct order to the appropriate place on the level. This should hopefully help them understand what’s happening when, which healthcare professionals will be doing what (and with what equipment), and most importantly, when pain might occur in the process. They will be observed and assisted by staff providing verbal prompts.

I’m fairly experienced at developing apps and games with Unity, but these have mainly been aimed at adults. Whilst I imagine that many of the development skills will translate, I also envisage that many aspects will be different (for example, look and feel).

I’ve identified some basic design principles through looking at various websites and also games aimed at children that are already available in the App Store. However, I’m looking for some further advice from the community.

Generally, are there any recommendations for look/feel + interactions?

More specifically, I am debating whether to develop the game as 3D or 2D.

I see the benefits of 3D as being more flexible (with camera positions allowing close-ups of a sad face when there’s pain), and lots of resources (on the asset store and various websites, as well as being able to use photogrammetry to capture the equipment). However, I’m concerned that a 3D version might be too complex for the target audience.

In terms of 2D, obviously the main benefit is that it is very simple. However, there doesn’t seem to be the same level of resources available.

I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me!

Thanks!

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

the best advice I can give you look at the demographic, and what there watching Saturday morning, cartoons ,educational programs, those will give you leading indicators on how A simplistic style making, things in a picturesque Genre, a clear elemental way, and looking into even the most basic forms of early child educational materials, just looking at some of those books they're using and how they're presenting complex ideas...in the most simplistic fashion possible.?

P-

for example come up with the hero the " pain Avenger ", a simple cartoon character who's fighting the causes of his pain but sometimes he's weak and gets to feel some of the pain...(even heros get hurt)..pain button, so that the patient can press the button during the procedure and the game character will also experience pain or something to that effect some empathy with the child and the game character..eventually conditioning the patient to be more acceptance of higher levels of pain because they are not surprised and it becomes a challenge.

Pain is only in the mind..you have the power to fight and win!

run with that

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
    frosted likes this.
  3. Harissa

Harissa

Gigiwoo likes this.
  4. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Training games are different. It's what I do for a living, though I too, focus on adult training. For children, I would do my homework, plus follow some simple guidelines:
    • Less is more - Minimize text. No more than 2 or 3 choices (4 max!).
    • Bright Colors - Inviting, universally appealing, with high-contrast
    • Movement/Juice - draw the eye where you want it to go. Also, use movement to convey order and sequences. Tweening is well understood - take the time to use it.
    • Bite-sized - Both the individual parts and the app as a whole. Short and sweet, for the win.
    • Mystery Box - "What's in the box?" is the cornerstone of all entertainment, whether for adults, teens, or children.
    Good luck,
    Gigi

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Spend some time watching Doc McStuffens. Does a pretty good job conceptualising medical concepts for kids.

6. twobob

twobob

I think the sounds "Ouch", "Ooch", "Ouchy" and "Sharp intake of breath" are you friend here.

1 year old might understand that, assuming previous context. I suspect 3 Year olds, in general, are going to be pretty wise to pain cues already and the look on their guardians face will be enough to let them know they are in for some suffering.

Before Ipads there was Non-verbal communication ;)
    (perhaps study some upset parents' faces)

Best of fortune.

7. Oligo

Oligo

Thanks very much for all your help guys! I'll take a look in to everything suggested. Already it's looking very useful!